Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Maps vs Drive

Registered Member
SiftYUL

A simple Copy and Paste function between Maps and Drive would make it bearable for the time being.  We are in Windows after all!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mrbofus

I guess I'm confused on this too.  On Nokia's page about their apps ( http://www.nokia.com/us-en/apps/nokia/ ), they say, "Nokia Maps doesn’t just give you turn-by-turn directions for walking, public transport or driving" AND "Get free, turn-by-turn voice-guided navigation all around the world with the Nokia Drive app."

Since Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive both give turn-by-turn directions for driving, what is the difference between Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

What phone have you got because the answer to your question is model dependent.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mrbofus

I have the Lumia 822.

I guess I'm confused as to why that matters though; Nokia doesn't mention it on their webpage about the apps at all. ( http://www.nokia.com/us-en/apps/nokia/ )  Shouldn't driving directions by Nokia using maps by Nokia be the same, regardless of which Nokia app you use?  And if that's the case, then why have two different apps?  And if the apps are different, why have different apps for the same function?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Lumia 822. Good choice.

OK, I presume you have downloaded and installed the Nokia Drive + Beta update. 

Nokia Maps and Drive are 2 separate apps. Maps has all the mapping functionality allowing you to browse the map, search for destinations etc. When you find your destination and select to navigate, Nokia Maps automatically starts Nokia Drive to take over and provide turn by turn.

The idea of having Drive as a separate app is so you can short cut the process and go straight to Drive for quick navigation to regular destinations.  

So whjile there are 2 separate apps, they actually work together seamlessly.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mrbofus

"Lumia 822. Good choice."

Thanks!

"OK, I presume you have downloaded and installed the Nokia Drive + Beta update."

I did, but it's weird that the updates for the Nokia apps don't show up as updates in the Windows Store and that you have to go into each app to find the update.

"Maps has all the mapping functionality allowing you to browse the map, search for destinations etc. When you find your destination and select to navigate, Nokia Maps automatically starts Nokia Drive to take over and provide turn by turn."

This explanation makes complete sense to me.  It's like how Google has Google Maps and Google Navigation as separate apps on Android.  What bothers me is that Nokia doesn't say that on their website; they say that Maps and Drive each provide turn-by-turn.  I don't have my Lumia 822 with me to test this, but it just seems weird that Nokia would say Maps has turn-by-turn on their website if Maps doesn't have turn-by-turn.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Both Maps and drive provide turn by turn navigation, Drive does (voice) guided navigation.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
MarisaV

What you say makes sense BUT why can't you import favourites onto drive?
I have tried every way but it seems impossible.
Please tell me I'm missing the obvious!
Maps and navigation without data are the ONLY reason I stay with Nokia so this is a big problem for me
Also can one search using co-ordinates? We do a lot of off road driving and I can not find this feature.
It is as if Nokia have turned a great feature into Maps for dumbies :smileysad:(
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Which phone ? On WP8 you do not need to import the Favourites to Drive+ due to reason mentioned in Message 25 above

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Olive_Oyl

I too can't understand why they are two apps that essentially do the same thing i.e. provide directional navigation ^_^
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
housermag

I use a Lumia 800 and it would be great if I could pull my starred locations from Here.com to Nokia Drive like I do with Nokia Maps...
Please use plain text.