Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N8 "Integrated GPS"

Advisor
sumanml07

Nokia N8 "Integrated GPS"

i'm unable to get my current position using only "Integrated GPS". the device keeps on searching and nothing happens. also in the indicator area on Ovi Maps the satellite symbol is not appearing. i'm not sure whether my integrated gps is working or not. is there any way by which we can view the satellite status as in other nokia devices like 5800 XpressMusic??? Plzz help!!!

Please use plain text.
Professor
vvaino

Re: Nokia N8 "Integrated GPS"

Hei,

In the maps-section here in discussion you can find
a lot of material about this, but one thing is good
to be said. It could take pretty long time for your
phone to get the gps-signal, if you have disapled
the a-gps and internet connection. It could take as
much as an hour.

-vvaino
#SwitchToLumia
Please use plain text.
Advisor
sumanml07

plzz tell me how to see the satellite status in N8, if it is possible.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi sumanm107

Even on 5800XM satellite status icon disappeared from OVI Maps v3.04 onwards, so unfortunately there is no way that you will see a "satellite symbol" within OVI Maps application.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Professor
vvaino

Sorry, I do not know, is it possible. Let's wait until
our fellows members here can help you.

-vvaino
#SwitchToLumia
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

On Nokia 5800 xm.. if you want to see the satellite status (not in OVI maps..). goto  Menu-->Applications-->Location-->GPS Data-->Navigation-->Options-->Satellite status...

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Please use plain text.
Sage
fonero

sumanml07: i'm unable to get my current position using only "Integrated GPS".

You usually cannot get position fix if you are indoors. Getting a fix can also be difficult if there are high buildings around. Go to an open place (a park?) and let the phone seek the satellites without moving it. Wait patiently for half an hour. If you don't get a fix, then something is really wrong. (Actually you should get a fix within 15 mins.) Later you should get a fix more easily.

Markus

(Lumia 820, 8.0.10328.78, 3047.0000.1328.0003, Here Drive+ 3.0.4121.0, map 8.30.51.121)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
sumanml07

farby: it is not possible to get the satellite status in N8 as you have mentioned for 5800 ExpressMusic. there is no such thing as "location" in the "application" menu. is there any other way to view the satellite status??? 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Just check under this....Menu-->applications-->Social...

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
sumanml07

farby: there is no such thing as "social" in Menu>Apllication.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/guides/Nokia_N8-00_UG_en.pdf

Refer Page 61 /62..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
sumanml07

farby: first of all to use "Social", i need to use net service which i don't want to use. and even if i use social,there is no provision of finding the satellite status within "Social".

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Ok.. Thanx for the info.. I do not own an N8 and was refering the User Guide if it could be useful..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

The N8, as on any other Nokia phone, uses a smaller version of very low power GPS chip, and as such will have trouble acquiring a fix if used on Integrated GPS alone. The common advice for people who insist on using Integrated GPS alone is to leave their phone searching for satellites on a windowsill overnight.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Sage
ovikovi

sumanml07 wrote:

i'm unable to get my current position using only "Integrated GPS". the device keeps on searching and nothing happens.

If you don't mind carrying a tiny additional unit in your car or in your bag or pants, look into a bluetooth GPS receiver like the Holux M-1000. They work great.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
halogen_guy

How very useful. You need to get somewhere and try to use the integrated GPS to help you out but oh you have to wait 30 mins to acquire a connection and obtain guidance.

Now that's convenient!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I am using endomondo.com on my N8 to track jogging/running.

I have two issues:

1. When no internet, the phone sometimes takes 15-30 min to get a signal, if it gets a signal at all. Then sometimes just looses the signal, even in open space. So it seems to me the phone is only useable with A-GPS, which require data costs. When abroad, this is painful.

2. The accuracy is less then I wish. Sometimes, the registered points are way off the road, in buildings, middle of the lake, and such. Sometimes it is good. I didn't find out, what influences that the registered points are on the road or not.

I am thinking to get an external Bluetooth GPS unit. I was thinking about the Nokia LD-4W, but it is quite outdated by now.

Probably the Qstarz BT-Q1300 is the best option out there, with 66 parallel channels, and 35 seconds lock in cold start.

Anyone haveing exeperience with external GPS units and the N8?

Qstartz BT-Q1300 nano

Please use plain text.