Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia/Ovi Maps 3 & Nokia E51

Contributor
Accepted Solution

Nokia/Ovi Maps 3 & Nokia E51

Why is Ovi Maps 3 not available for the E51? There are some new features in Ovi Maps 3 that I'd like but on http://europe.nokia.com/explore-services/maps/download-maps it says only Nokia Maps 2 is available for the E51.

Are there any plans to make Ovi Maps 3 available on the E51

My Device: Nokia E51-1

NOKIA E51-1 [RM-244]
Firmware: 300.34.56 (11/12/2008)
Product Code: 0557993 (NOKIA ORIGINAL)

OVI MAPS 3.0
1-Year Europe Drive

NOKIA LD-3W
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: Nokia/Ovi Maps 3 & Nokia E51

I found it very strange too. I am using Ovi Maps 3 (v.3.01 09wk26 b02) already long time without any compatibility issues. Using navigation every day because of work and it's perfect on E51 with separate GPS receiver. I think I got the Ovi Maps from Nokia beta site but it's not there anymore.

Read from blogs: http://betalabs.nokia.com/blog/2009/06/11/final-update-for-maps-30-beta-with-ovi-maps it says: Maps 3.0Beta works with Nokia devices based on:

S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1 (E63, E66, E71, E90 Communicator, N81, N81 8GB, N82, N95, N95 8GB)
S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 (E55, E75, N78, N79, N85, N86 8MP, N96, 5320 XpressMusic, 5630 XpressMusic, 5730 XpressMusic, 6210 Navigator, 6220 Classic, 6650, 6710 Navigator, 6720 Classic)
S60 5th Edition (5800 XpressMusic & N97)

Please download the new Maps Updater and Map Loader via Beta Labs to get started!

I used Maps Updater (windows application) and it turned my Maps 2 into current version of Ovi Maps 3. It will be reall dissapointment if they suddenly declare the incompatibility with E51.

Ovi Maps 3 on E51

Please use plain text.
Contributor

So it does work? Then why are they not making it available? What's also strange is why it'll only ork on certain S60 3.1 phones (the comptibility list in your post says S60 3.1, but doesn't list the E51 which IS a S60 3.1 device.

I can't get the Nokia Maps Updater. It looks like that was only for while Ovi Maps was in Beta.

Anyway we can get official word from Nokia as to why Ovi Maps isn't being made available or the E51?

What Bluetooth GPS receiver are you using on your E51, and what phone firmware are you using?

NOKIA E51-1 [RM-244]

OVI MAPS 3.0
1-Year Europe Drive

NOKIA LD-3W
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I think I'll try and download Ovi Maps 3 by select Nokia E63 (which is also a S60 3.1 & SymbianOS 9.2 based phone) that doesn't have built in GPS. Maps 3 is available for the E63, so will try that.
NOKIA E51-1 [RM-244]

OVI MAPS 3.0
1-Year Europe Drive

NOKIA LD-3W
Please use plain text.
Contributor

The above did the trick, I'm now running Ovi Maps 3.0 with no problems whatsoever. Still makes me wonder why they're not making it directly available for the E51 without selecting a different phone model:smileyindifferent:
NOKIA E51-1 [RM-244]

OVI MAPS 3.0
1-Year Europe Drive

NOKIA LD-3W
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have E51 Nokia and want to download Ovi Map 3 I tried to download E63 but here is E60 windows base and file extension is . exe.

so how it can be installed in E51 i didt see here E63 which in symbian os 9.2 base phone.

can you tell me in detail or send me link...

1.how can i download and Ovi Map 3 in Nokia E51?

2. can it work with out separate GPS receiver?

thank you very...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I am currently using phone firmware 400.34.011 (also 300.34.56) and Bluetooth GPS receivers  

Globalsat BT359W and BT359S with SiRF Star-III chipset (http://www.globalsat.com.tw/eng/product_detail_00000075.htm).

salem874:  I am glad you figured out that E63 trick, will use it too probably after the next software cleaning in the future.

kamilshaikh: for me (european version) I would go to http://europe.nokia.com/explore-services/ovi-maps/downloads-and-services and choose E63 as phone. Then I follow the instructions from that website: 1. Press "Download" to download Maps Updater to your compatible computer. You will get something like Setup_Nokia_Maps_Updater_1.0.10.exe which needs to be execute to get installed on your computer 2. Connect your mobile to your computer via USB (or Bluetooth - too slow!) in PC Suite mode. To use Maps Updater, you need Nokia PC Suite installed on your computer. Start the Maps Updater you just installed and it start finding your phone and installing latest compatible Ovi Maps onto your mobile.

I just tried it and it found my E51 but said there are no updates for my phone.  I have Ovi Maps 3.01 09wk26 b02 already installed and it's fine not to update anything. It works with separate GPS receiver because there is no built-in receiver on E51. Then you should use Nokia Maps Loader to get maps and voices onto phone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

OVI Maps3 Working fine on my E51. Updated via OVI originally, and update went fine, but the maps wouldn't load. Worked fine previously with maps v2.

Tried the solution here using the E63 one and got the same actually. Eventually Turned out to be the map I was trying to load.

The UK map (i.e. England scotland & N. Ireland combined) kept stopping on transfer to the device @ 13%. If I downloaded just the England map on its own, then things were fine. Worth watching out for that.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

i'm using ovi maps 3 too on my e51.

ovi suite proposed me the update to version 3.

Message Edited by hybris on 21-Jan-2010 09:06 PM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I downloaded the sys file and tried installing, but it fails to install on the phone. Really want maps3 for the navigation..
Please use plain text.

The e63 is not available in the selection list in the download page. how can I select it?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

..you need to go via the link on the inital download page.

The link is titles 'to find Ovi Maps for other mobile devices....'

Thanks folks for posting the 'how to's' on this device, very helpful.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Hi All

I also updated my nokia maps to version 3.01 using ovi suite. Then I successfully loaded maps of Ukraine, which are now more detailed for Kharkov.

I can define the route and start navigation. But after about half of a minute I'm getting "Online connection is required to check licenses". If I go online, I'm prompted to buy a license for either 1 day, 1 month or 1 year. So I don't have a free navigation on my E51 in Ukarine.

However, here are 2 facts:

1. E51 is not in the list of supported phones for nokia maps 3 and free navigation. This may mean that even with maps3 on my phone, the licensing model is working like for maps2 - no free navigation.

2. Ukraine is not in the list of countries which have navigation. (Before prompting to purchase a license there is a list of supported countries). I'm thinking if this also can be related to licensing. Did anybody tried navigation with maps3 on E51 in the country which has navigation officially supported?

Also, did someone has newer version of maps? I have 3.01. I checked for updates in ovi suite, but there was nothing.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I get the same things for Finland. Will post back if I find out why as I have heard of people achieving navigation but I'm not certain they meant voice navigation.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

..word on the street that this is the case, voice navigation is not supported on e51, but will be as of March 2010.

Well, here's hoping - since I've just bought my gps unit, on the assumption that our work phones aren't to be updated to e52 for a good year or so from now.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

It might be just that they doesn't free up navigation for older phones like our E51. I bought the voice navigation Europe license for 1 year just before they announced it's free for new phones. Few weeks ago OVI desktop offered the update for Maps on E51 and now I have on my phone Maps  v3.01 09wk44 b01 MW OpenGL LM NN Map v.0.1.23.112 OpenBitLM 6.22.5. Voice navigation working perfectly in Europe. Also tested it in Thailand but had to buy 1-day license for voice navigation there.

So as long as you have valid subscription it is working fine on E51. I can't get version 3.03 on my E52 and I guess the free nav starting from 3.03.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
snIP3r

hi too!

same problem here, with german maps (ovi maps version 3.01) . i am also waiting for the free navigation solution to come...

greets

snIP3r

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gtallan

I don't think free navigation will happen for E51. Nokia have now (within the last few days) vastly dropped the cost of navigation licenses for older devices (for North America it's now approx $14 for one year). I think this is a very fair, even generous. I've used this now on my E51 with Maps 3.1, and I'm very happy with it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Just checked the Finland voice navigation options...and sure enough, it's now 'Full Licence' going for 6 euro (ie peanuts).

Looks like that's as cheap as it gets - fine for me.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Maddin

Does anybody know when / whether Nokia plans upgrade to V3.03 with free navigation?

V3.01 with external GPS works fine for me too, but I'm also waiting for the "free navigation package"

Please use plain text.