Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia e52 GPS does not work!

Nokia e52 GPS does not work!

Hello,

I recently bought e52. GPS in the phone wont find any single satelite without A-GPS support. When I turn on A-GPS it finds satelites and gets fix immediately. But I'm afraid it connects to the internet every 10 min to find satelites. I'm going abroad and I do not want A-GPS to be turned on.

Regarding GPS itself I was on the open field and my phone could not find any satelite for about 20 min! Give me some hints please what should I do? The only option I have turned on is 'Integrated GPS'. The A-GPS is turned off, network based off, blootooth gps off. Help!

Please use plain text.

Hi,

same problem with my Nokia E52.

Please use plain text.

I also have this problem.I even checked all settings in the manual.

Strange: The manual also talks about "satellite status" in options. Can't find it anywere on my E52.

I do get the impression it can "find" the satelite antenna, but it simply does not work... :smileysad:

Anybody with the same problem? Or even beter: how to fix this?

thanx!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
korenisko

Hi,

statellite status is avivable when you have "gps fix". If you have not gps signal (fix), you cant find "satellite status" in menu Ovi maps.  
Nokia E51 - Nokia N82 - Nokia E52 - Nokia E66
Please use plain text.

I see you just need to be patient. I am sort of used to my Garmin. This gives a fast and accurate fix. But the E52 is "just" a phone. But at least it works...

Thanks for your reply!

Please use plain text.

GPS on my e52 worked for 3-4 days (with Garmin xt and nokia maps)

now it can´t find any satelite (with or without A-GPS)

it´s at the service now

´

Please use plain text.

I have my E52 again. They said motherboard is dead so they gave me a new device.

GPS works fine now (there is no need for A-GPS). It locks to satelites in 1 min max. (It takes longer only if i uploaded a new map (Garmin), but after that it`s pretty fast. Only thing i noticed is that sometimes (when navigating with Garmin, if i turn the mob,screen goes grey and mob freezes. It sometimes lasts couple of minutes. That doesn`t heapen very often. The solution is to either turn off turning of the screen while using navigation or fixating it in the some kind of holder in your wechicle.

Everything else seems to work fine!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Very interesting. Did you check if firmware is same (021.013 03-Jul-2009) or new one? I am waiting for software update to solve problem that GPS works only in A-GPS mode, but if it is in hardware than ...

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
freddo

danpoz wrote:

I have my E52 again. They said motherboard is dead so they gave me a new device.

GPS works fine now (there is no need for A-GPS). It locks to satelites in 1 min max. (It takes longer only if i uploaded a new map (Garmin), but after that it`s pretty fast.

Dead motherboard? Dammit, I got my E52 a few days ago and I can't seem to get the GPS to work at all. And I got one of the newer black models too.

I was just outdoor for about 6 minutes waiting for it to get a contact, but no. Not anywhere near 1 min :smileysad:

Please use plain text.

i am sitting in my house and it took 10 seconds to find satelites and give me a fix! So yes it works perfect now, but...

Niw i have problems with reseting and freezing during calls or browsing the web.So i just changed GPS problem with new onw!:womanmad:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
freddo

Nice that your GPS works nice for you. I got mine to work now too! I just can't be without AGPS downtown (where I live), but as soon I get to a more "free" outdoor area, the integrated GPS works fine without using AGPS.

Sucks about the reseting and freezing, though :smileysad: Never had those issues.

Please use plain text.

E52 GPS does not work. At all.

I had never been dissappointed by Nokia, but they managed very well.

The GPS of E52 without A-GPS support practically does not work. It DOES NOT WORK.

It used to work OK with A-GPS support. But because I did not want the phone to connect to the 3G network, I asked my provider (vodafone) to disable the 3G connection. Since then, I have not been able to get a lock once.

Don't get me wrong, I realise that it just a phone, not a GPS navigator. But if GPS performance is so desperately ba, they should not have included it at all in the first place.

I hope that this is something that can be fixed with a software update, but I am very un-optimistic about it. I believe that they just used very, very cheap hardware. I seriously have regretted buying this phone.

Please use plain text.

Re: E52 GPS does not work. At all.

I had the same problem. Never got any satellites found, not even after 20 minutes.

Updated Maps to latest version, no change.

So then I reset the phone to factory settings (lots of settings stay in the phone by the way).

Then after 10 - 15 minutes Maps showed 4 green bars and everything worked.

Even the 'satellite status' option that is mentioned in the manual, appears then (so only when it connects with satellites you will find this option via 'options' when in 'menu - applications - GPS - GPS data').

After this first time, it connects to satellites much faster. 

I'm not using A-GPS. Have the last two (integrated and network) selected.

Sensors where turned off, for what it's worth. Not my choice, was default after factory reset.

Assume it will work with sensors switched on, haven't tried yet.

A bit more explanation in the manual would be helpful. Like the menu option only being available when satellites found. And that the first time takes the most time to find them.

Please use plain text.
way2anand

The GPS tracking on the E52 is really really slow. But we got to live with it. Else with the A-GPS things will work fast. But then considering the network charges, I guess its better to wait for the signal. Anyway one thing is sure, we cannot trust the E52 GPS during times of emergency. 

Added to it, the search offline,for places is **bleep**. The data stored in offline is barely sufficient for a good search. The previous Maps had a good offline search. After they made it free, it is very much dependent on the Internet. 

Please use plain text.
fl74

Please use plain text.
eshka

[ Edited ]

I know, this might be somewhat outdated, but I just my nokia e52 maps work seemlessly.

I bouth this phone (which is about 2 years old) in Ukraine. First I updated the whole soft on the phone. Then I connected it to a PC through a USB cable. Got on Nokia suite and ran maps update - wireless updates are incomplete, use the Nokia PC suite for updating maps.

But even after full update, the gps navigation was still a problem - I could hardly get my position, and could never get a route (by car or walk).

The solution to the problem:

1) restore to factory settings (default code is 12345)

2) install program called InfoGPS and use it to locate available satellites (important: make sure you're on the open air or very close to a window so that you get a signal)

3) changed phone language to English

VOILA!

once InfoGPS finds the signal, you should be able to use the maps on the condition that you don't enter a building or do whatever that will make you loose the signal from the satellite.

changed the language back to native and still working, finds position very well, calculates route within seconds

Please use plain text.