Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Vi Maps 3.03 (Free Navigation) for E71

Re: Ovi Maps 3.03 (Free Navigation) for E71

Nokia has always been a company with positive image, it is kinda shock when seeing nokia posting this kind of scam.

quote from nokia.com/maps "

"Compatible devices: Nokia X6, Nokia N97 mini, Nokia N97, E72, E55, E52, Nokia 6730 classic, Nokia 6710 Navigator, Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic, NOkia 5800 Navigation Edition, Nokia 5230. To find Ovi Maps for other mobile devices visit Maps Support

why not just make it clear other models are not supported yet? does nokia recogonize how much time people could have wasted just to find out the phone is not competible? personally, I spent hours on downloading, installing and updating, just to finally get disappointed. I would be furious, but not as this furious if I have spent my time some where else instead of on an E71.

it is simple as this,  where the product does not meet what has been advertised, it is misleading, a scam. or at least bad marketing move, consumers demand apologies!

I have just personally tested, the license purchase page is STILL FUNCTIONING, if there is any chance nokia gonna make free navi avaliable to other models in the near future, this is not a good sign.

one may not mean much to you nokia, but think how about everyone of those who has been misleaded goes

"I will never buy nokia, I will tell all those I know never to buy a nokia"

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Actually I find that statement clear. It does not say e71 is among the compatible devices. And if your phone is not listed there, then obviously its not compatible. And it took like the whole of 3 seconds to understand that. Its a person-to-person difference, and cant be guaranteed. Unless you're telling Nokia to act as if we're all grade schoolers. Its just that a lot of people want to get everything, at the minute, not understanding the difficulties of doing what they want. Some people seem to think that writing software is like snapping fingers. 

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jbarsoum

[ Edited ]

The problem is that the title and press announcement were misleading, so everyone's hopes shot up, only to be let down.

As for this quote: Some people seem to think that writing software is like snapping fingers. 

How hard is it for them to change the price of Drive and Traffic licenses to zero on existing versions of Maps? I'm sure it's not rocket science, and there is probably no code that has to be written to make it happen. I can wait for the 3.03 version of the application, the new firmware update, etc...They can take months to do that as far as I am concerned. It's the price of the licenses on 3.01 that bugs me, especially if they are free on other handsets, some of which are cheaper than my E71.

Message Edited by jbarsoum on 04-Feb-2010 10:02 AM
Please use plain text.

the standing for us posting here is simple, get nokia to add free navi to E71 while it still lasts. in order to make nokia to do so, certain threat has to be done, we have some good examples, by swearing never buy nokia again.

seriously nobody really cares what brand the next phone will be, brand loyalty does not exist in high tech market, price and value are the real deals. I dont even mind to get a samsung once the koreans get smart enough to make smart phone, the sleek exterior and cheap price are gonna be pluses too.

so wake up nokia, by not providing really benefit to consumers but fool around and make false advertisement, where you gonna end up?

Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

chanchan05 wrote:

Actually I find that statement clear. It does not say e71 is among the compatible devices. And if your phone is not listed there, then obviously its not compatible. And it took like the whole of 3 seconds to understand that. Its a person-to-person difference, and cant be guaranteed. Unless you're telling Nokia to act as if we're all grade schoolers. Its just that a lot of people want to get everything, at the minute, not understanding the difficulties of doing what they want. Some people seem to think that writing software is like snapping fingers. 

ACTUALLY, it's not very nice to call people stupid on boards. How old are you to show such a disrespect to others.

It's not their fault if they saw FREE NAVIGATION FOREVER. It's nokia's fault.

Or, if we are too stupid for Nokia please make it clear. NOW we have alternatives.

Personally, I will NEVER forget nokia for this scam.

Message Edited by sonofsam on 04-Feb-2010 09:20 AM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@sonofsam

I did not call them stupid. I said that it was very clear, and that Nokia need to say more. Some people seem to want Nokia to spoon feed information and post them as if they were talking about gradeschoolers. What "stupid" about that? Even doctors need to talk that way to patients due to the complexity of their knoweldge at times. I am not calling anyone stupid, I'm saying that when they say that ONLY X, Y and Z are compatible, thats kinda obvious that A, B, and C are incompatible. One doesnt need to be stupid to miss that. As I said its a person-to-person difference. The person could have been so exited that he didnt notice what he was reading and looking straight for the download.

And its not scam. The S60v3FP2 devices will get the free SatNav later on. So lets see, you were saying that Nokia should have with held the update for already compatible phones until the ones for the s60v3FP2 are ready? That's unfair. 

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm of the same mind as sonofsam, I have a long memory and this 'incident' will influence my next phone purchase. I will no longer pay premium price for Nokia phones ever again when at the flip of a hat they can exclude features and falsly claim 'free navigation for all' -  (I am aware of the fine print).

I have always been a huge Nokia fan, its just a shame they alienate their existing e71 customer base, out of curtesy they should tell us when we can expect the free turn by turn for the e71, and remove the license fee which are still active as of the 05/02/2010.

very poor form Nokia.

Message Edited by palmag on 04-Feb-2010 10:44 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@everyone - I realize from my post that some people may begin to think I am like a Nokia worker or something. I want to clarify that I am not. However in the argument, it becomes a person to person point of opinion. Yes Nokia said Free Navigation for All. When Nokia said that, I also assumed for all, however when I read the fine print and it was only for a limited number of phones, it was fine also for me. Not because I happened to have one of the few phones, but because of my experience using Nokia. They just dont give things out to everybody at the same time, and I have learned to live with that. Its not as if all phone companies (except apple) give the updates to all regions at the same time anyway. Furthermore, as I said in the e90 thread, the e71 does not have the same software as the ones with the updated maps (you have FP2, the ones that do have are at FP3). And what you need is the firmware update to get the maps running. And you will get that firmware update apparently sometime in the first half of this year. So what's the problem? You will be getting the free Nav anyway, so I'm sorry but I fail to see what the problem is all about. I feel its just like the issue with the homescreen of 5530 and 5800. Maybe Nokia just had a hard time putting it into a firmware update. I'd rather have things like this late than never.

And yes its not that easy to snap the fingers and get a lifetime license for SatNav on Ovi Maps 3.0. It may not be part of their contract with NavTec and that other company, so no, its not easy to just write a license for you guys if it has legal implications. Besides, if Nokia is indeed giving you Symbian FP3 for free, why be so mad? 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Sat Nav on your Nokia for free forever.....Very misleading advertising. I purchased an E71 for the free sat nav only to find that it is not a compatible device with 3.03  nokia should have made this clear

Nokia will definately be on my do not buy again list. And I will suggest that Nokia are removed form the recomended phone list in our company of 5000 employees

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

@chanchan05

You, as with all other posters who conjecture as to whether or not the E71 will or will not get free navigation, may or may not be correct.

The only ones who can give the correct answer is Nokia.  And they remain silent.

A simple explanation would put paid to all thebad mouthing.  Unless, of course, the explanation states that E71 is excluded.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Nokia insiders are already claiming that the e75 is already one of the next devices to be supported. And if memory serves e71 and e75 both have FP2. Although I do agree some insiders do spread out information that could be more than 6 months before becoming true.

Although IMO, if nokia did not say free nav for all, and only said free nav for selected phones, as some of the people here seem to wish they did, I fear it wont change a thing. Except that the bad mouthing would be saying why not them and why others? 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

Hello

It is not clear like other says that navi is free for only few supported models. Press annoucment said clearly that Nokia is releasing free navi for their phones. And like all others here i understand that the current releases of navi for our phones become free! Yes, that is what nokia said in their PR communicate. Now people feel cheated by Nokia the same way like few months away Lenovo cheated with free Windows 7 upgrade (yes it is free but i will cost you S&H 17 euros, and i will take 2-3 months to ship discs). In case of Lenovo a lot of customers felled offended by no reply for their queries and turned back from the company. Now Nokia is going to put it self in the same position. No clear communication with customers, some annoying secrets or no conception which way the program should go now after making a lot of rummor in media.

To solve this situation there is easy way:

Simply that sever with a granade from plow PR people in Nokia should clearry say:

1. We are not going to make free license for users of this models: and complete list

2. We are going to make free license for users of this models:

model no - aprox. date

3. Navi will be free from version .... only on device with itegrated/all gps receivers

4. etc.

It is not hard but it will say to all of us that Nokia knows what they are doing, and have a conception how to continue program. IMHO there is still a problem with making a decision and that is why Nokia does not respond what they are going to do next, they even didn't said what are hardware req. for free version of navigation. It means that the whole program was a false start, and PR was completly unprepared to do it. Nokia felt breath of other companies on their neck and decide to be the first in the market .... As we can see it was only partialy good decision.

On other hand i'm not using Ovi Maps from the very simple reason. They are now extremly expensive. For a one year license i can buy 2 devices with WM and AutoMapa Poland - and this maps have much better coverage and are much quicker updated. Simply compare price of nokia licencse and for a example quite good (better then ovi in any way) Manta GPS60 device (apx. 45$ including device and better maps of whole Poland). If i would have to use navigation in Symbian phone it would be much cheaper to buy sygicmobile or garmin license. So .... the way nokia treats customer is unfair and that is why i post here but, lets say trully Ovi is nothing special, and there are better ways to navigate.

So now for all PR at Nokia lets sing together:

So you a rocket scientist? That not impressing me much :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
suntani

I am really disappointed , why E71 not supported map3.03 ?. I bought the E71 just month before e72 launch

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Sorry Guys

@everyone -

it seems I made a mistake, I got confused a little bit. It seems that the e71 is on s60v3 FP1, instead of FP2 as I had mentioned earlier. I confused it with the e75, which was the one with Feature Pack 2. That's what I get for stating information from my own memory, which did not serve me good this time around.

As that being said, I take back what I said about the high probability of you getting the free navigation in a short time as there are no mention yet of FP1 on the upcoming availability of free maps. All mention from "insiders" refer to the next set of phones to be supported are those on Feature Pack 2.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
godot2010

My E71 is 3 months "old" - and I paid good money for it. I always liked and preferred Nokia phones. The bottom line is that Nokia really screwed up the "free maps for all" announcement. I was involved with firmware/SW design and yes, it is hard for them to support all phones at the same time. However; I can tell you they have really messed up their image on the North American market. AT&T sold lots of E71xs in the US and here in Canada Rogers and Telus are offering this very fine phone well below the price of Canadian made, compatible Blackberry.   

What I can't understand is; why do they not come clean? There are several excellent suggestions in this thread which would do it.

Hello Nokia - is anyone there?  

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jbarsoum

chanchan05 wrote:

@everyone - I realize from my post that some people may begin to think I am like a Nokia worker or something. I want to clarify that I am not. However in the argument, it becomes a person to person point of opinion. Yes Nokia said Free Navigation for All. When Nokia said that, I also assumed for all, however when I read the fine print and it was only for a limited number of phones, it was fine also for me. Not because I happened to have one of the few phones, but because of my experience using Nokia. They just dont give things out to everybody at the same time, and I have learned to live with that. Its not as if all phone companies (except apple) give the updates to all regions at the same time anyway. Furthermore, as I said in the e90 thread, the e71 does not have the same software as the ones with the updated maps (you have FP2, the ones that do have are at FP3). And what you need is the firmware update to get the maps running. And you will get that firmware update apparently sometime in the first half of this year. So what's the problem? You will be getting the free Nav anyway, so I'm sorry but I fail to see what the problem is all about. I feel its just like the issue with the homescreen of 5530 and 5800. Maybe Nokia just had a hard time putting it into a firmware update. I'd rather have things like this late than never.

And yes its not that easy to snap the fingers and get a lifetime license for SatNav on Ovi Maps 3.0. It may not be part of their contract with NavTec and that other company, so no, its not easy to just write a license for you guys if it has legal implications. Besides, if Nokia is indeed giving you Symbian FP3 for free, why be so mad? 

Nokia **owns** Navteq, so there are no licensing issues. They could almost literaly snap their fingers and make maps free for E71s.

Having said that, maybe their servers cannot handle the load. That's all I can think of....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

...so, in order to have free mobile navigation for everyone* we need to trash our "old" FP1 devices and buy a brand new FP2 (which will be old... hmmm let's say... in a month or two?!)?!

*please put a little * near everyone :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage

@Niclasboheman: Can it be any more complicated to use a e71??? I don't think so. I consider myself pretty much computer literate and know how to use most advanced electrical devices. But the e71 really takes em all.... Instead of getting free maps, the maps program stopped working all together, and so I deleted the new OVI maps. And now I don't have any map program. And of course, nothing you do i compatible with a mac. Good bye Nokia, hello Iphone!

As it has never been promised that Maps 3.03 (the free navigation maps) were supported by the E71, I do not see how you can be perturbed. There have been no broken promises here. Nokia is under no obligation to provide free maps. Moreover, should they limit the free maps to the devices currently receiving them, that is their perogati ve. We owners of other Nokia phones have no entitlement to anything other than what we expected when we purchased our respective phones.

N86 8mp: RM-485,0590552; Version 20.115 - 6/29/2009. - -- E71-2; RM-357; 0569371; Version 100.07.76 - 6/08/2008.
N8; N900
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I am buying a car in a few weeks and will be needing a GPS since I'm not familiar with the area. If Nokia doesn't clarify its intentions with regard to free nav on E71, I am selling the device and buying an Android phone, all with clear concious and no regrets.

I tried editing the Wikipedia page for Ovi Maps where it was simply written that Ovi Maps has become free with no need for licenses. I changed that and listed the phones that are compatible instead. When I added that Nokia has not been clear about the plans for the older devices that include GPS, someone deleted it and added: "Nokia will add more smartphones to the compatible devices list".

I also tried adding a criticism section with references to reflect the current situation with the upset users, but it was entirely removed. Here's what I wrote, nothing exaggerated:

Users of Nokia phones such as the N95 and the E71 phones that did not receive the Ovi maps update enabling free navigation complained about an inequality in Nokia's treatment of its customers.[13][14] There was no clear answer from Nokia whether these phones will eventually support the new version of Ovi Maps.

It seems Nokia cannot handle criticism.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Kudos to effortful - he hit the nail.

As for the advertisement, I feel it is correct. FREE NAVIGATION FOR ALL, but the fine print says "if you have compatible devices", so yes, the advertisement is still correct IMO.

Please use plain text.