Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: More Nokia Confusion!

Counsellor

Re: Ovi Maps 3.03 (Free Navigation) for E71

@CHANCHAN05

That is your and effortful's interpretation.  It is not how the majority of posters see the announcement.

As has previously been stated, an official Nokia representative needs to explain the position in clear unambiguous terms. 

Quite frankly, if existing gps-enabled nokia phone owners are excluded from this offer, Nokia is going to create emormous bad-will and loss of trust in the Nokia brand.

Will this impact their brand and market share?  Well there are at least 2 other options now available to affected owners, being Apple and Google. No doubt there will be more.

Nokia needs to realise that when a company shows lack of customer loyalty, the customer will show lack of brand loyalty.  Nowhere is this more prevalent than in the high tech short product lifetime marketplace.

It's Nokia's call and they need to state their position.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

More Nokia Confusion!

So now I received an email from Nokia, subject Get Free Navigation on Your Mobile from Ovi

Excitement abounds!  I click the download link which begins the OVI Download maps soft shoe shuffle :smileymad:

It takes me to http://maps.nokia.com/ovi-services-and-apps/ovi-maps/downloads?CMP=EMC-navnavq12010jan119&CID=nokiac...

I click on select your device and guess what?  No E71. So I go to other devices,  choose E71 and am offered the usual paid for navigation option.  **bleep**

I am registered on the Nokia database with an E71. So why send me this email?

OK, I'll try and be generous and will retry in a day or too in the vain hope that the email preceded so dowload change.

@Nokia It's so simple - just clearly explain the roadmap for the free navigation distribution for the E71.  If you don't have specific dates, give a quarter or even a not going to happen for your device - sucker message.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
oblig

I too had the e-mail this morning - but still can't get the maps.

I rang them an they said that they ARE intending giving this to E71 users maybe a month to 6 weeks. I asked about the e-mail and she said she would escalate it to the management

Please use plain text.
Contributor
buntina

me too, very annoying

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

@Oblig

Let's hope that she's correct.

It's really just stupid of Nokia not to clearly state the position on their maps download page. If they published a roadmap which shoed the E71 as getting the free navigation in 6 weeks and they implemented in 2, nobody would complain.

Nokia also still has the option of providing a 6 week free license on the current version to tide E71 users iver until the new version is available.

I hope that Nokia has fired its publicity people as they are causing damage to the brand ...

Please use plain text.
sztef

I have asked Nokia Support via email if and when they are going to provide free of charge drive navigation for E71 users, answer was:

"In the future free of charge version should be compatible with all Symbian S60 3.2 version mobiles. Unfortunatelly E71 is S60 3.1 based and currently there is not planned to provide free-of-charge licence for navigation like it is done for Symbian S60 3.2"

In short: means E71 will not get it :smileysad:((

I feel angry ! %^$#^%#&^%

Please use plain text.
Contributor

If this is the case, then its... Au revoir Nokia....

HELLO APPLE!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
godot2010

sztef wrote:

I have asked Nokia Support via email if and when they are going to provide free of charge drive navigation for E71 users, answer was:

"In the future free of charge version should be compatible with all Symbian S60 3.2 version mobiles. Unfortunatelly E71 is S60 3.1 based and currently there is not planned to provide free-of-charge licence for navigation like it is done for Symbian S60 3.2"

In short: means E71 will not get it :smileysad:((

I feel angry ! %^$#^%#&^%

My phone is an E71-2. I surprised myself for Xmas. I wonder what the -2 means? In any case reference to the level of the Symbian OS is hogwash. Nokia could just set the subscription to "no cost" or $0  to  Euro, Pound whatever.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
godot2010

palmag wrote:

If this is the case, then its... Au revoir Nokia....

HELLO APPLE!

How about Blackberry - the one Mr. Obama uses?  I live in the area where RIM (the maker of the Blackberry) has it's Head Office. They employ lots of people in town so needless to say that I considered them. But I found their product too 'business focused' for a retired guy. I always liked Nokia and had Nokia phones most of my life.

I guess the love affair with Nokia is over.

Please use plain text.
Sage

@godot2010: How about Blackberry - the one Mr. Obama uses?  I live in the area where RIM (the maker of the Blackberry) has it's Head Office. They employ lots of people in town so needless to say that I considered them. But I found their product too 'business focused' for a retired guy. I always liked Nokia and had Nokia phones most of my life.

I guess the love affair with Nokia is over.

Human nature is very interesting: if Nokia had never made this product free for some phones, no one would have ever complained. No one would have been upset about something there was never any hint of receiving. However, now that SOME people receive a benefit that is not conferred on others (even though it was never promised), people are irate. It is like a child who covets what his sibling gets and demands that he get it also.

Interesting lesson.

N86 8mp: RM-485,0590552; Version 20.115 - 6/29/2009. - -- E71-2; RM-357; 0569371; Version 100.07.76 - 6/08/2008.
N8; N900
Please use plain text.
Contributor

@godot2010

Yes, absolutely, my next phone consideration will be between a Blackberry and an Iphone.

@effortful

I like your analogy, the problem lies herein, Nokia has not been clear in its intentions to provide the product to e71 users, who in my opinion (not verified by facts) possibly hold most of Nokia's smart phone uptake, and who paid a premium to be early adopters of Nokia's flagship smartphone a while back.

In my opinion Nokia should just come clean and say "listen guys, thanks for your support but the product will not be available for your device", as opposed to dangling the proverbial carrot infront of our eyes.

for me personally though, the damage has already been done and on principle I will not be getting a Nokia again.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
alansoft

The slogan says "Navigation on your Nokia. For free. Forever."

It doesn't say that's only for new phone models or specific phones.

So my question is how difficult is to provide license numbers for our phones while there is no new version available???

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

@

You may well be right, but the client is more right.

Nokia's handling of this whole announcement has been pathetic.  It was Nokia who raised all navigation enabled phone owners' expectations, not the owners.

Nokia has still not made a definative announcement about whether E71 will be included or not, which is causing brand damaging conjecture. This page of this thread contains conflicting statements by alleged Nokia employees.  And then there's the email from Nokia to registered E71 owners ... No wonder there is confusion.

Finally the fact is that other manufacturers are going to provide phones with free navigation, so the choices will be there.

A cell phone is not a product that locks one into a particular manufacturer or model, so one can expect a migration.  Which would be a pity as I've always been happy with Nokia and its support.  Until now.

Nokia has the opportunity to state what is going to happen and their silence is worrying, as silence is indicative of wanting to cover up something you wish not to be made known.  i.e. lying by not stating the truth.

Yes I am aware that deceitfulness seems to be the basis of the electronics related industry, so the company to which I switch may well be worse than Nokia, but that too would be a short term problem, but I would at least have obtained a product that gives me what I want.

@sztef

I too enquired of Nokia for clarification. On at least 3 separate occasions.  Until now I have not had a reply ...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jbarsoum

The silence from Nokia on this is absolutely deafening. I'm guessing they are all preparing for announcements next week and forgot about their customers. They had better get their act in gear soon or they will even more loyal customers... The damage to their brand is becoming quite obvious, just by looking at the posts here -- I would hope a quick read from someone in communications would trigger a response.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
buntina

well if this disscusion is always at the top of the forum then surely Nokia must at least give us a definative answer, I love my E71 but I also need maps, and now they are free for some i may have to rethink my phone option, and that wont be in favour of Nokia

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

E71 not supported - Official

Dear Rob,

Thank you for emailing Nokia Careline.

With regards to your enquiry, kindly be informed that Nokia E71 is not supported by Nokia Forever Free Navigation license.

For more information about the supported devices, kindly visit the following link:

www.nokia.com/maps

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Nokia Careline on 08611-66-542, between 9am and 6pm (local time), Monday - Saturday. For online assistance, please visit http://www.nokia.com/mea/contactus.

“Keep your phone software up-to-date by using the Nokia Software Updater. For more details visit Nokia Support and software at http://mea.nokia.com/support#. You can also go online to find user guides, troubleshooting support and other services to help you use your Nokia product”

Kind regards,

Youssef Elkaoui

Nokia Careline

Nokia Middle East & Africa

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Re: E71 not supported - Official

Guys, you have to consider one question. Why is nokia not include E71 in free navigation? the answer is very simple: When they sell good amount of E72 devices that support free navigation then they include E71 too. Nokia E72 doesn't have the expected sales yet. That's why!!!!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am happy to be able to present you with the answer..

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones?cc=au&lc=en

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

http://www.google.com/phone/?locale=en_US&s7e=

http://www.htc.com/au/product.aspx

Pick a provider, any provider..

It's not like they can do any worse by you then Nokia has.

EDIT: Woops, forget Sony Ericsson :smileywink:

If you read something you liked, or found this post useful, hit the green Kudos button on the left.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
godot2010

frastgr wrote:
Guys, you have to consider one question. Why is nokia not include E71 in free navigation? the answer is very simple: When they sell good amount of E72 devices that support free navigation then they include E71 too. Nokia E72 doesn't have the expected sales yet. That's why!!!!!!!!

YOU may have a point. However, if you read the "official" response carefully it says NOTHING we did not already know. All it say that the E71 is not supported. He does not say that the E71 will be or that it will never be supported. Go figure.

Here is my take; I think we made enough noise that Nokia has realized by now that they messed up their marketing communication. Now they are arguing what to do. Some hard headed Finns are inclined to agree with us, while some other ones do not. Some thinks; if they just keep quiet the storm will go way.

Let us not give them the satisfaction. Let's keep the fire burning girls and boys!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

This whole situation can be summarized in this YouTube Video.

Sadly, while the video itself is a joke, it's happening for real over here :smileysad:

Please use plain text.