Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: kia kjRe: Ovi Maps 3.03 (Free Navigation) for ...

Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Re: Ovi Maps 3.03 (Free Navigation) for N95 & N96

its just for touch phones. I however think that the n86 is classified under "newer".

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Sage
alun_rodgers

chanchan05 wrote:

its just for touch phones. I however think that the n86 is classified under "newer".

I'm glad that you at least classify it under "newer" because it seems that Nokia are in no rush to release a supported version for it, despite the fact that the N86 was released on the same day as the N97. I suppose I could always download one of the versions for the other supported FP2 handsets but why should I risk it?

Also, don't forget that Nokia released maps V2.x and V3.0.1 which were completely new products rather than minor updates, all of which were immediately available and compatible with all their 3rd edition handsets regardless of the feature pack.

I still have 7 months or so left of my 3 year Europe drive licence but won't be paying for any more licences whilst other handsets get the free version.

Hopefully, whatever is delaying the release of a more general S60 3rd edition FP2 will be resolved soon and I'll be able to join everybody else on v3.0.3

Alun.

N8-00 (Product Code: 059C5Q8 (UK Generic)) FW Belle (111.030.0609.377.01)
Orange 5.1, NK702, 7110, 8310, 7250, 6230, N70, N95-1, N86 8MP, N8-00
Please use plain text.
Contributor

As some other people said here before, that their phones costed them 800 $. Mine as well, I bought my N96 for 800 $. I found that Nokia continues ignoring any question regarding Hardware and Software support. Cheaper phones has more free apllications and better support that mine. What does it mean?  They still refuse or ignore on many issues.

After one month of using my phone I can say this is the worst phone I have ever been using before. N95's processor is much faster. My phone is slow like Pentium 386 computer comparativly to Pentium IV. Case design is good, but after 2 month it started back cover and flip started to squeak and creak. Flip is shacking. Then I changed case and buttons. 2 weeks more and the same story started.

Shame on you Nokia. Instead of attracting customers by BETTER QUALITY you are implementing cheap useless features and INREASING PRICES.

By the way, owners of N900 will come up with the same opinion soon. Remember my words.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Just an update, it seems that ovi maps 3.04 is working for the N86. However it is not yet officially listed as compatible for the new version of free maps. There are some bugs and glitches in using it for the N86. I suppose the N96 users can try it on their phones as they have FP2. However I would say now that do not expect it to work 100%, since as I said, it suffers glitches on the n86. Also note that the listed compatible phones all have 600mhz procs, while the n86 has 434Mhz. the n96 has somewhere around 300Mhz.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

N96 won't let you install it

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Oh, oh well. You guys should wait for the next improvement then. It seems they're extending compatibility little by little.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
FreeNavigation

1 month has last from last post.

I was wondering am i doing something wrong or is the navigation still chargeable for N95? I downloaded the last update on my phone and downloaded Ovi maps 3.01 09wk44 on my phone. Now when i am trying to navigate program says that my licince has expired.

Does anyone have an idea when navigation could be free also for older models?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

N95 has s60 3.1 OS, And Nokia announced that the only s60 3.1 OS phones that will be supported are E71 and E66 (the last phones designed with the OS if I remember correctly. Further rollouts would not include N95.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

The N95 is an old handset that will probably never get the free nav

However the price of the paid for nav has been dropped significantly to being less than the rumoured subsidy being charged on the newer handsets for the "free" nav

9eur for navigationfor the whole of europe for a year is a very good deal and is arround a 90% reduction on what was beign charged a few months ago

As for the N96 we live in hope, but after paying the 9eur i'm not that fussed any more as I'll be picking up an N8 when that is released,

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Ismael_n96

Re: kia kjRe: Ovi Maps 3.03 (Free Navigation) for N95 & N96

where did u get this info from

can u give me link??

please reply

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/04/06/nokia-e71-and-e66-get-free-navigation-today/

Fourth paragraph:

"These two devices (E71 and E66) will also be the last of our S60 3.1 and older devices to sport this version of Ovi Maps."

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

will the n96 ever be getting the free navigation

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Niquele

Sadly and seemingly, it will not.
Once upon a time N96 owners were proud to have a Nokia device in their pocketss.
N96 owner = 2nd class customer!
Farewell, Nokia.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
good2god3

i'm pretty new here,i just wanna be if there will be any new update for n96.thanks in anticipation
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

good2god3 wrote:
i'm pretty new here,i just wanna be if there will be any new update for n96.thanks in anticipation

After this length of time I think you can be fairly certain that there won't be one unfortunately.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nameskhan

What is the point of making a reliable phone if you not going to support it in the future??????

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

nameskhan wrote:

What is the point of making a reliable phone if you not going to support it in the future??????

What's the point of developping new phones if you have to keep the old ones running indefininitely? As I've said elsewhere, the N96 was launched in autumn 2008. Smartphones are usually obsolete after a year.

People like to complain about Nokia software updates, but in truth it supports its phones longer than some other manufacturers, including Samsung and in the case HTC, both of whom make popular smartphones which in most cases get few updates.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nameskhan

ye I know nokia is behind on the innovative front already, but you dont need to be innovative to price a licence for £0, I'm saying this because android phones made in 2008 ALREADY had free satnav, ye it requires data connection but so does the desire, which I've been extensively researching and stealing for periods from my friends since I heard about nokia being so..............    

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
owner95

http://downloadwap.com/symbian/?p=download&v=0&st=4&id=a0a577#comments

Visit this site for nokia ovi maps 3.1.i got i it two years now.verry good to me,AND WORKS FOR NOKIA N95!!!!

just open it with nokia suite and instal,,ad the maps you want and done,,cost only 10euro for whole year,not that expensive

Please use plain text.