Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Ovi Maps 3.03 (Free Navigation) for N95 & N96

Advisor

Ovi Maps 3.03 (Free Navigation) for N95 & N96

Does anyone know if Ovi Maps 3.03 (Free Navigation) is or will be available for N95 and N96?

Or can we use other version to download onto these phones?

:robottongue:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Re: Ovi Maps 3.03 (Free Navigation) for N95 & N96

No, they are not yet available for s60v3 phones with FP1 (includes both phones you mentioned).
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rsejil

Hello, i would like to know if the ovi map navigation will been soon avaible for free on my Nokia N95.

Thx.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
AndyCorps

If Nokia can't make OviMaps v3.03 (the free navigation version) work on the on the N95 (s60v3), why don't they just make the navigation for OviMaps v3.01 free. I'm sure it can be done easy enough, how else were they able to to give out a single free month of navigation during January.

Or was it Nokia's way of saying "look how good our navigation is, now go buy a new phone"... grrr

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

It's their way of selling "Up Market" phones.

You have to buy a more expensive phone to get the navigation..

If you read something you liked, or found this post useful, hit the green Kudos button on the left.
Please use plain text.
kevin_1976

kia kjRe: Ovi Maps 3.03 (Free Navigation) for N95 & N96

so for Nokia N95 8Gb Ovi Maps freeware is definately not available..... Great... any other navigation (freeware) available ??

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Re: kia kjRe: Ovi Maps 3.03 (Free Navigation) for N95 & N96

The only announcement Nokia has made so far is that the free maps availability will extend to another set of models within the first half of this year, for s60v3FP2 devices (that includes n96). I have no idea about n95 since AFAIK that has s60v3FP1.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.

Official response from nokia

Thank you for contacting Nokia Careline.  Please be advised that we are continuously developing the free navigation experience  across all devices and taking the first steps on N95 and N96. Please visit http://www.nokia.com/maps from to time for the latest updates regarding compatible devices.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
efan

I went to the link given http://www.nokia.com/maps i see Nokia N95 only at one place under support link, but this device is not listed among others like N900 E71 etc where Nokia navigation is free. So what I understand is nokia maps can be downloaded at N95 8gb but there wont be any Free navigation there. Correct me if i am wrong.

Please use plain text.
p1royal

No, you are right. Took me 3 days and a lot of work to find this out.

I'm develop some programs by my  own, and trust me, there is absolutely no problem to delete in the existing Nokia Maps Version the License function! Seems like Nokia just don't want to...

I have a N95 8GB and if Nokia really force me, to buy a new Phone to get free Navigation, i will never buy a Nokia again.

Please use plain text.
Zeljko1234

Could you share your application with us? :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
p1royal

No problem, but i think they you wont need them. some Java applications for recognizing Profibus adresses in a industiral machine. Something i needed for my work... You can find them online, just search for Profibus or SEW...

puno pozdrava...

Please use plain text.
Zeljko1234

No, I don't need your appllication. What I need and not only me is application or way to delete licence...

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Good point - I am sick of seeing the message about going online to upgrade my old licence and finding out it is not compatible.  Why I can't delete that expired licence I don't know...

Anyone know where they are in the directory?

Please use plain text.
Linebreak

If you read the post from sim7250 above it looks like Nokia is working on providing free navigation on the N95 and N96.

Let's hope this is going to be sooner rather than later.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
alexisdog

I do not know about anyone else, but my N95 was not a cheap phone. I paid $800 USD for it. When it came out there was a routing function included with the maps feature (otherwise it made no sense to have a GPS in the phone). The function they were selling then was just the voice part. When My phone was upgraded by Nokia to the latest software version this feature was taken out. Nokia, supposedly in fixing my phone, actually devalued my phone and made it less functional. Thus, I went to Google maps. By restoring navigation Nokia would actually be returning my phone to its original function (with voice, which I do not really care about).

When they came out with the N95 it seemed Nokia was under the impression that people would pay $800 for a phone and then hundreds on dollars more to actually use the phone, because when starting up many features just kept asking for more money. I do not understand how much money Nokia thinks people will spend on a phone.

As to upgrade - I have refused to so far. My N95 model was still made in Europe. Since my phone was made, production on most phones has been moved to China. The phones are not the same and feel cheap. Inexplicably, the e series phones are still made in Europe where as phones costing hundreds more are made in China. That is why the later N95s and N96s were not successful models. I am actively looking for a new phone and have been to the Nokia store in Manhattan twice and still have not found anything that has impressed me.

If Nokia keeps doing business this way, it will explain their declining market share. Even though my n95 has actually become more buggy with the software updates, I still like it better than any newer model that has come out. If Nokia thinks they will cripple my phone and then force me to buy a new one they are very mistaken. Eventually, I will buy another phone, it just may not be Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I don't think the answer from Nokia Care is implying N95 will be supporting 3.03 very soon.

It is kind of "standard" answer given by Nokia Care. Furthermore, from what I know, Nokia outsources the Nokia Care to 3rd party. Those guys in Nokia Care is not Nokia employee. They may not aware of what is happening actually (In fact most of the time, those guys don't know anythign..;D).

Please use plain text.
Linebreak

Point taken nkboy9, it may never see the light of day when you put it like that.

They better give us free navigation! How do they expect to compete with the likes of the Iphone...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Because the n95 wasnt designed to compete with the iPhone? Seriously I dont see the hype with the iPhone. Its an iPod touch that can call and text.

Anyway, the problem is that the software on the n95 seems incompatible to that of the new Ovi Maps, since it is after all only on FP1 s60v3. According to the Nokia press release, starting March 2010, the newer cellphone models would be compatible with the new maps. This could be in the form of a fw upgrade. Although by newer I think they mean other FP2 devices (n96 included).

@alexisdog - the n95 wasnt cheap 2 years ago. Right now you could buy it for less than $400, more than a 50% price drop, not to mention that it's production is already discontinued.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
acerkarthi

OK, hopefully you will include all S60 third edition phones.  I recently got a Nokia N86 which released along with N97.  Sad that I don't get Free maps.

Is there a way that I can update my N86 to 5th edition version?  Or is it just for touch phones?

Please use plain text.