Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Ovi Maps 3.03 and Nokia 5230?

Contributor
walus

Ovi Maps 3.03 and Nokia 5230?

Hi All,

Has anyone tried updating software on Nokia 5230 and instaling Ovi Maps 3.03 for free sat nav? I'm planning on buying one in Ireland under O2 and was wondering if there could be issues with updating this device to the latest Nokia firmware and maps that have been just made available by Nokia.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Advisor
dewking

Re: Ovi Maps 3.03 and Nokia 5230?

Hi,

I am using Nokia 5230 and installed this free sat NAV, it works great! Even the route is good too!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
walus

Hi Dewking,

Could you describe how you made the formware and maps update? Are there any tricks to remember before I get the phone and do the updates myself?

Cheers,

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tonuss

I have still problem with upgrading maps on Nokia 5230. After upgrade to free navigation OVI maps, installed normally, but when i tried to open Ovi maps, it shows OVI maps screen for about 1 second, and then closes programm. I have tried to install through ovi maps installer, or copied install file to phone, still nothing helps. Now i'm googling trough internet to find correct solution.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tonuss

Last post i solved, it was only for those, who use Latvian localization.

Navigation is great, and everything works normally :smileyhappy:

Have a nice day.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hs123456789

Hi,
I live in Thailand and wanna buy a new Nokia 5230. Because I want the GPS but I still have something that I wanna know.

1. Is the GPS in Nokia 5230 works like the GPS in the car (I mean real time GPS) or it will play the simulated map when the user use its?
2.Do I need the internet access to use it?

Thank you so much

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sockatume

I don't know what you mean by "simulated", but it shows your actual current position on an accurate map and gives directions.

You only need internet to:

1) Load missing maps, i.e. if you don't pre-load maps onto the phone
2) Get satellite images if you choose that view
3) Use A-GPS for a quicker lock-on
Help I'm trapped in a sig factory.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hs123456789

Ohh I got it.
 Thank you so much:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
freddo7

One reason I bought a new Nokia 5230 was for the free Ovi maps. It was a big download so I decided to connect the phone to my PC.

Thought I had followed the instructions but had no success with seeing a map on the phone. After much frustration I realised I had to connect the phone to the internet and let Ovi maps do its own thing for a while. I then connected up to the PC again and managed a successful download.

This is what I did for a successful set up.

On the PC, download Ovi Suite to the desktop and install.

On the PC download the map downloader.

Attach the phone to the PC by USB lead. Switch phone on.

Make sure phone is in USB  PC suite mode.

Transfer map downloader to the phone.

Switch phone off and remove from USB cable.

Switch phone on and open Ovi maps and internet.

Wait, wait and wait a bit more. Local map will appear. (took about 15 minutes)

Switch phone off. Reconnect to USB lead. Switch phone on.

Open Ovi suite.

I downloaded Wales, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and female voice - English.

Initially this failed due to 'unknown fault' Cured by switching phone off, disconnecting from PC,  opened phone, removed battery and sim card. waited 1 minute, replaced and reconnected to PC. All downloads completed in less than 5 minutes.

Hope this helps somone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Recently bought the 5230, everything fine until the big mistake. Like computer systems, I should heed my own advice and never, ever, do device/software updates. leave the phone as it was when you bought it, unless to add something. Ovi maps was the worst culprit - phone freezes and restarts multiple times; no extra content was downloaded, profiles can't be changed, internet access was skewed completely, had to uninstall a lot of stuff and reapply WAP/MMS settings. Its now SO unstable, and I haven't the time to fiddle, it's going to the Nokia shop to have its firmware completely reapplied. This is Nokia all over. Great phones, but don't mess about!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
saz_saz

hi, do we need to connect the internet on the cell phone to use the map...

coz i tried w/o internet it is not working...

plz let me know..

thanks

Please use plain text.
luthra45

i read your post about installing nokia ovi maps 3.03.

i didn't understand a line that you have write in your post that " transfer maps downloader to the phone"

it means, transfer maps downloader.exe to the phone or transfer maps to the phone through maps download. please reply me soon.

with regards. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

transfer maps to the phone through maps download.

jje

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Lock3110

Hi Tonuss,

I am still facing the same problem u faced in earlier post, please help me out with steps to remove this Latvian localization from my phone.

Please use plain text.