Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Ovi Maps 3.03 (with Free Navigation) for the N...

Employee

Ovi Maps 3.03 (with Free Navigation) for the N97

Maps 3.03 for the N97 is going to be available from the 28th Jan 2010 via the IAD (also kown as Software Update).

Users of the N97 are advised to update their firmware after release, which will then make the Ovi Maps 3.03 application available for download.
Although i work for Nokia, my opinions are my own!

Got a Maps query? Check our Maps FAQ's
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: Ovi Maps 3.03 (with Free Navigation) for the N97

Tested on N97 (using the direct download file for the N97 mini) and I see there is still no 'Add from Contacts' option when searching for an address, which Maps 2 and the original Maps 3 had. Being able to use stored address information in your phone contacts is invaluable as I stated months ago on the Beta Labs forum, with out this feature the software is a pain to use and fails to fufill the potential of having Sat Nav software on your phone.

I've waited months to get this feature added back in, after using the Beta, just to discover it still isn't present. ???

Nokia, can you please comment on the reasons why this feature has been removed from the latest version of Maps?

Many thanks.

Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

the download page:

http://maps.nokia.com/explore-services/ovi-maps#extras

lists the compatible devices as:

Nokia X6, Nokia N97 mini, E72, E55, E52, Nokia 6730 classic, Nokia 6710 Navigator, Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic, Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition, Nokia 5230

anythinguts on why us N97 users are being FUA again, it's difficult not to take it personally.

There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Will the firmware update be available globally on the 28th (ie in the Uk on three network), or will we have to wait x number of months again before it is available to us?
Please use plain text.
Employee

The update will be available globally for Vanila devices, i.e. for those without Operator varient firmware.

We cannot unfortunately control the release date for Varient firmware so if you do have varient firmware then the update will not be available.

KR
Chris

Please use plain text.

Sorry for offtopic, but what about the product codes 0586701 and 0586702? These are from UNBRANDED N97 phones, sold by Nokia Stores here in Germany and still, Firmware 12.0.026 seems to be the newest one. If you please could try to find out what’s wrong here, me and many others would appreciate that very much. Tanks in advance!
Please use plain text.
Employee

SpeedStar wrote:
Sorry for offtopic, but what about the product codes 0586701 and 0586702? These are from UNBRANDED N97 phones, sold by Nokia Stores here in Germany and still, Firmware 12.0.026 seems to be the newest one. If you please could try to find out what’s wrong here, me and many others would appreciate that very much. Tanks in advance!

Hi,

Firmware for the N97 that will allow the download of Maps 3.03 through the Software updater is not yet released - will be release on 28th Jan 2010.

KR
Chris

Please use plain text.

Sorry, but I have to ask here again:

Can you confirm, that this new firmware will also be availible for the N97 product codes 0586701 and 0586702 on 28th Jan 2010?

Please use plain text.
Contributor

What about the maps turn by turn navigation for the N900?

I hope that Nokia plans to release Ovi Maps turn by turn navigation for the N900! I'm not a developer, just somebody who appreciates the N900. And I really hope Nokia releases this for the N900 soon, instead of skipping over it for the next generation of Maemo.

According to Engadget, "N900 owners shouldn't hold their breath, though, as Nokia is focusing on bringing its free navigation service to the next generation of Maemo devices. That's not to say that the N900 won't get it eventually, only that it's not currently on the roadmap." (http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/21/nokia-offering-free-turn-by-turn-navigation-on-smartphones-globa/)"

I would appreciate somebody from Nokia telling the list that there are firm plans for Nokia to release Ovi Maps turn by turn navigation for the N900 soon.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.

so, in the other meaning, my n97 will get firmware update in january 28.. am i right?

sorry for my bad english, and thanks for the reply.

Please use plain text.
Employee

micu999 wrote:

so, in the other meaning, my n97 will get firmware update in january 28.. am i right?

Yep :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.

cbidlake wrote:

micu999 wrote:

Yep :smileyhappy:

yipie yay.. thanks.. that's very good news..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
digitalcorporal

Do we know yet if it will be installed to C: or Mass memory?
Please use plain text.
Professor
patruns

The app goes in the main memory and the maps can go to the card...............
If I have helped you with your problem in some way, please take a little time and hit the kudos button in my post. Without your feedback, I don't know if I am being helpful or should just be put out to pasture. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

The Maps application will go on C: -- that's probably why they don't release it for the N97 yet.  (Users are more likely to have run out of C: on this clusterf*ck than other phones).   With a new firmware upgrade, it can be installed "fresh" without temporarily needing space for upgrading the existing application.

Maps data will go on E:

Please use plain text.
Advisor

As I am sure Nokia Is eager to milk every dime out of us with apps we cannot remove. What other changes can we expect from this software that are beneficial to us end-users?

Has anybody over there stopped to consider that we might need brightness and contrast controls for the video player, that moving the browsers cache to a different drive is essential, threaded messaging is the norm nowadays, AVI / DivX are two of the most popular video formats in the wild or that the speakerphone volume is far too low for anything other than indoor use? If not; seriously cbidlake; I don't need a crystal ball to tell you that many of  you guys will soon be looking for new jobs. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor

is this the long waited fw2.1 update?

and please tell me they activated the default program to be able to use 3rd party apps 

Please use plain text.

I couldn't agree more.

I'm sick and tired of constant checking out if I have any free space left on my C: drive. At 8 AM I have 44MB's of free space, in the evening I have 43,6MB-ytes & I haven't done nothing, except having a few calls and reading a few messages (messages saved on storage card). I just look at my phone in the wrong way and I lose 400kB-ytes of space. I don't eavent want to mention installing new apps on my phone.

Nokia should concentrate more on the issues that are well known amoung the users of the N97.It's a great phone and I love it, but if won't get a good SW update which will reduce the number of annoying bugs soon I'll be forced to change my device for some other mobile phone,and so will many other unsatisfied owners of the N97.We gave a lot of money for this phones and we expect that Nokia uses our advices and complains to make SW better.N97 is a powerful toy,but it's potencial can't be used 100% if the SW is not suitable,just like a car with 400BHP with the cheapest tires on the market.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
blackbagz

Ummmm. surely the answer to that is "not to all devices".  You (cbidlake) stated it would go to all 'vanilla' devices on that date.  this means, if you, for example are in the UK, and you got your phone via a service provider O2/Voda/3/T-Mobile/Orange, then we're going to have to wait until these turdmeisters corrupt this program enough for us to complain about something else, right??

For me, it's Voda in the UK, so this means i won't get it on Jan 28th because i will have to wait for Voda to corrupt this program before unleashing its destruction on my handset.

Please be clear because I suspect the person that asked you (with the bad english) may not have a vanilla handset and may be disappointed come 28th when there's no software to install.

From one drama to the next with the N97...:smileymad:

Bagz Rules :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Sage

djscopesofm
I guess the answer should be: YES. This is what i can understand.

Please use plain text.