Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Ovi Maps 3.03 (with Free Navigation) for the N...

Contributor

Re: Ovi Maps 3.03 (with Free Navigation) for the N97

cbidlake wrote:
Maps 3.03 for the N97 is going to be available from the 28th Jan 2010 via the IAD (also kown as Software Update).

Users of the N97 are advised to update their firmware after release, which will then make the Ovi Maps 3.03 application available for download.

I dont seem to have new FW versions available and Ive got a manila N97 RM-505. Ive had Ovi Maps 3.03 since the S60V5 came out. All I want is for Nokia to keep their word and give us the FW2.1 UPGRADE!!!!

Is it too much to ask? Or where you's BS'ing everyone AGAIN???

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi all

First of all I would like to thank Nokia for the great move, giving us free turn by turn navigation ... BUT ..

The new Ovi Maps 3.3 simply sucks ...

Its glitchy whenever you change a menu .... the change is not smooth its so ugly... then the menu has different UIs .. it's like they are different apps .. lets take for example .. the settings that are next to the compass brings us good looking menu .. then the main menu has absolutelty different look and presentation .. then it's the settings in the main menu -> old style S60 menu .. Then its the weather menu .. completely different (a 5th one) UI . that is so buggy that when it switches betweeen certain days and main menu the drawing of the menu itself happens very slowly thus its providing us with BAAAAAAD user exeperience.. Then the zoom in and zoom out is very laggy ...

I am really disgusted with this app's UI .. its a nightmare

I hope they make it run smooth and complitely redesign it

.. Do all other users experience the same or its just me?

Regards

Lumia 920 OS version: 8.0.10521.155
FW revision number: 3047.0000.1326.2002
Please use plain text.
Sage
britzinelul24

Crsp,no update available for my N97 :smileysad:

I wait untill the end of the day,but i think with no results

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Its not buggy for me! I installed the maps and it is using E:mass memory - Nice one Nokia - now hopefully the firmware update will come today, so it does not use 10mb of my memory
N97 - Product code 0585262
Please use plain text.

I just got the update and is now using Ovi Maps 3.03 with free voice navigation. Everything seems to be running smoothly.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Update? R u talking about the Ovi Update or the Firmware update that u have received?
Please use plain text.

I'm talking about the Ovi Update. I got it OTA via the SW update app in the phone.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

This whole rebranding of stuffs into "Ovi" somehow gives me the visual imagery of a obesse and bloated person, and I don't like it.
Please use plain text.

Where do you get the update??
Please use plain text.

Go to Menu > Applications > SW update
Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

So i don't suppose anyone has the installer lying around??? or can point me in the direction of it?

those of us under vodafone UK's reign of terror can't get it, via the conventional route.... :smileysad:

There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.

thanks, 

but for me it does not work,

I read that it is because of my product code :-(

However thanks! 

Please use plain text.
Sage

How did you manage to instal it to E:?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I installed it and the Map ROCKS am enjoying every bit of it, however, i never got any Memory organizer so the Map installed on my C: eating up about 10 MB of my little space. Did anyone else got the memory organizer ?. How can we install it on E:
Please use plain text.
Sage

I got it but already about 14 days ago so I asume this has nothing to do with the maps itself
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

So what happened to the firmware upgrade that was supposed to be required?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

@ josef _r. I got the same one then, but i thought Chris indicated in one of his posts that we need to install the MAPS first then install the memory organizer that will move it to the E; rather than C;.

Has any N97 user gotten the new Firmware 2.1 as promised ?

Please use plain text.
Professor

_

@cbidlake

As fldude99 and other keep saying. You instructed us to install a firmware update before updating the Maps application.In fact I thought you said that the Maps app update would only be available to N97 users with the FW update (which FW update, by the way? - what number do we look for?).

Like others, I'm on 20.0.19 RM505, and today the Maps update is showing as available (Important) on my N97.

Do I update Maps or not?

_

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
imlite

Updated to maps 3.03 free edition for the n97 without the 2.1 firmware update - works well with no noticible problems, and more stable and quicker than the n97 mini version I was using. I have not tested it fully though so there may be some integration problems that only a firmware update would resolve.

I dont think we will see the 2.1 update anytime soon:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]

_

And while I'm about it...

This release info is half baked.All sorts of issues are all mixed in together, causing confusion.

1 - Why is Nokia's intention to make navigation free, dependent on any particular release of Maps? The license entitlements are held on the Nokia website, and confirmed to the phone. The entitlements are also phone independent. So why not just edit the license database to "true" or whatever, for all registered users?

2 - I currently have about one year of my purchased three year license left to run. What will happen to my current license if / when I update Maps? Will I get a refund? Will I be able to transfer the remainder of my license to another phone?

You may say "Why would you need to transfer it to another phone?" But, at the moment, at least, not all phones are getting the free navigation, because of the bizarre choice of making version 3.03 free rather than all versions. This means that currently, if your phone cannot run 3.03, (yet) you don't get the free license.

My three year license started life on my N95. When I got my N97 last June, the license automatically tranferred itself from the N95 to the N97, on first use. I still have my N95, which does not yet qualify for the free license, so can I transfer my remaining entitlement back from the N97 (with the new free license) to the N95, for the remaining year?

Or do I not need to because the N95 will qualify for the free license in the near future? If so, when? If not, why not?

3 - In this thread, the official sourse introduced the concept of needing to install the new Maps after installing the new firmware? Which particular new firmware? This is nonsense. This is no way to report "dependencies".

If this is true, it should have been reported as "Maps 3.03 will require firmware release 20.0.19" or whatever. To say "the new firmware" is just rubbish . Who is it who needs to update their firmware? Those on V10, or V11, or V20? Or what?

None of this is clear to me, after reading 3 pages of this thread. Expectation of a new firmware release, beyonde 20.0.19, say, has been raised, and this is more exciting than the prospect of a new Maps release. Firmware releases have become the lifeblood of the N97 to date.

So.

Why link "Free" to any particular release?

Why link "Free" to any particular phone?

What, if anything, is the link to any particular firmware release?

Are existing licenses transferable?

What is the "Free" timetable for remaining Nokia models (particularly the N95)?

Should I buy a new license for my N95 now?

Or what...?

_

Message Edited by 2bad on 28-Jan-2010 02:27 PM
Please use plain text.