Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Ovi Maps 3.03 (with Free Navigation) for the N...

Counsellor
imlite

Re: Ovi Maps 3.03 (with Free Navigation) for the N97

leon_plovdiv wrote:

Hi all

First of all I would like to thank Nokia for the great move, giving us free turn by turn navigation ... BUT ..

The new Ovi Maps 3.3 simply sucks ...

Its glitchy whenever you change a menu .... the change is not smooth its so ugly... then the menu has different UIs .. it's like they are different apps .. lets take for example .. the settings that are next to the compass brings us good looking menu .. then the main menu has absolutelty different look and presentation .. then it's the settings in the main menu -> old style S60 menu .. Then its the weather menu .. completely different (a 5th one) UI . that is so buggy that when it switches betweeen certain days and main menu the drawing of the menu itself happens very slowly thus its providing us with BAAAAAAD user exeperience.. Then the zoom in and zoom out is very laggy ...

I am really disgusted with this app's UI .. its a nightmare

I hope they make it run smooth and complitely redesign it

.. Do all other users experience the same or its just me?

Regards

I have to agree.

As Nokia will be releasing the next incarnation of symbian soon and has created a roadmap for future symbian development over the next couple of years this should become a past issue.

I have not looked at the details for development closely, but I remember that it is the UI, and user experience through the UI, that is the main focus for development!

I really don't think that Nokia has a UI development team, relying on the old tried and tested s60 UI developed over many years through trial and error. When new touch screen Nokias were being developed, and related apps, there was no development infrastructure for touchscreen handset UI's. So, we are left with whatever a specific app developer thought best!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

@ imlite, i completely agree with you, i dont think that N97 owners are getting any Firmware update.The sad thing is that the MAP which is a good thing to have has cost every N97 owner at least 10MB of precious memory. The N97 is a very good phone design wise but lacks enough RAM which is very essential for maximum phone optimization and perfomance. Nokia released the MAPS on  jan 21 claiming that the reason that N97 did not get it then was the memory issue and that it will be rectified by embeding the memory organizer in the MAP , but guess what, i installed the MAP but never got any Memory organizer, thereby costing me 10MB of RAM, now am left with only 15 MB. Nokia needs to get there acts right ones and for all stop deceiving or lying to there customers. N97 is meant to be the flagship device and this cost lots of Money. Nokia fix the memory issue with your so called FLAGSHIP DEVICE.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

C'mon people! Let's face it, THERE WILL NOT BE FIRMWARE 2.1 RELEASED TODAY!

All this  confussion about the firmware update for n97 is so embarrassing!

the firmware that is required to install ovi maps 3.3 is firm 2.0, so the recomendation to upgrade the firm was for those who havent upgraded to 2.0, not for us, who have already upgraded to that firm. 

Nokia NEVER said anything about firmware 2.1!! so, why complaining or waiting for the "promised" firm update.

And, for me, this new Ovi Maps 3.3 works just fine, much faster than the previous one. and yes, it took like 8mb of my C phone's memory. 

Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

Molleja wrote:

C'mon people! Let's face it, THERE WILL NOT BE FIRMWARE 2.1 RELEASED TODAY!

All this  confussion about the firmware update for n97 is so embarrassing!

the firmware that is required to install ovi maps 3.3 is firm 2.0, so the recomendation to upgrade the firm was for those who havent upgraded to 2.0, not for us, who have already upgraded to that firm. 

Nokia NEVER said anything about firmware 2.1!! so, why complaining or waiting for the "promised" firm update.

And, for me, this new Ovi Maps 3.3 works just fine, much faster than the previous one. and yes, it took like 8mb of my C phone's memory. 

with the greatest of respect you have clearly not read the posts by cbidlake on page one of this thread. given that fact, i find it odd that you feel free to comment on them.... perhaps you could read this one...

Hi,

Firmware for the N97 that will allow the download of Maps 3.03 through the Software updater is not yet released - will be release on 28th Jan 2010.

KR
Chris

There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Firmware for the N97 that will allow the download of Maps 3.03 through the Software updater is not yet released - will be release on 28th Jan 2010.

KR
Chris

With the least of respect.

We all know now that this statement is rubbish. People like me have had it offered to us through Software Updater, while running 20.0.19.

Rubbish info is worse than no info.

p.s. cbidlake has been strangely absent from this thread today...
Message Edited by 2bad on 28-Jan-2010 04:23 PM
Please use plain text.
Sage
britzinelul24

[ Edited ]

Nokia Messaging Email anounced yesterdai that today it will be an update for the app.but today they anounced that they encountered somme bugs in the new update and after they will fix this bugs it will be relesed (probably untill Sunday)

Sow  V21 was roumored to be today.Perhaps after they will fix the update for Nokia messaging will reles it with V21.

Seems logical but...we wait and see.

Let's hope that cbidlake will clarify this.

P.S. if i will find out another news,I will post here!

Message Edited by britzinelul24 on 28-Jan-2010 06:06 PM
Please use plain text.
Sage

Dear All please help, while the software updated installing the ovi maps 3.03 I got message that the update was failed without any other option or clues to fix this failure. Any clues.......... Please help
Please use plain text.
Contributor

OK OK OK, so i've updated the software and managed to delete enough space on my phone drive to fit this free maps on. Why oh why then does it say after navigating for 1 minute that I haven't paid for the license and turn the navigation off.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

hi man to wich update u d 21 or 20
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi there it's version 20.0.019.213.03, this is the latest version of this site today.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thats the old version!
N97 - Product code 0585262
Please use plain text.
Professor

_

I jjust noticed that cbidlake started this thread on the 21st Jan, but didn't define which FW version is necessary.

Rather than update this thread, cbidlake started another thread yesterday 27th Jan, with the correct version info.

/discussions/board/message?board.id=navigation&thread.id=17018 

Having been the one to start this thread, cbidlake might have thought to update it.

This is the new comment:

1) Check that you have the latest N97 FW: 20.0.019. Learn how to check your current version and update at www.nokia.com/softwareupdate?n97 

_

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I also get a fail message when using SW updater. Can we download via PC instead or is they any way to get past this?

I have the latest n97 firmware update since that came out.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Cheers Madboy, you gotta admit that it's good of nokia to have the old version there as "the latest download" I take it I gotta use 21 then.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Very good 2bad but the update is the old one that Madboy told me about. I am really wishing I hadn't bothered with this chuffin update as now I can't even get an over view of the world on maps-Whereas in November I guided myself around USA with no hassle.......Somebody take control dognammit!!!:smileymad:
Please use plain text.

Ovi Maps 3.03 (with Free Navigation) have a giant bug that steels memory. When you install latest version there is no question where to install and in E52 the phone become useless when Ovi maps steels 8Mb on C, and another strange thing is that it's called Nokia Maps in programs and Ovi maps when you start it.

If you delete the new version of Ovi maps (Nokia Maps) and check the phone 8Mb extra available on C and the old Ovi maps works like charm but now on memory card, sadly not free, what to do, Nokia need a new programmer a normal didn't make such a mistake. And as always with Nokia there is little hope that its coming a fix for it.

Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]

_

@ chollokbops

I wish you guys would string a proper sentence together.

YOU said:

" Hi there it's version 20.0.019.213.03, this is the latest version of this site today. " I assume that "this" is the Firmware, you're talking about.

madboy, a new user with 3 posts under his belt, said, in the following post:

" Thats the old version!" - Eh? What? What is the new version of what? Are you saying that because his post immediately followed yours he was talking to you?And that what he meant to say was "(That) version 20.0.019.213.03, is the old version of Firmware available for the N97"?

If so that's rubbish.

Version 20.0.019 is the latest version for my N97 phone. This is confirmed by cbidlake in this thread of yesterday:, not to mention Nokia Software Updater, and the Nokia website.

/discussions/board/message?board.id=navigation&thread.id=17018  

The post says "1) Check that you have the latest N97 FW: 20.0.019. Learn how to check your current version and update at www.nokia.com/softwareupdate?n97" .

Or are you saying something else? I've really no idea because both you and madboy haven't bothered to be clear about what you're saying, especially madboy.  His contribution to the discussion is to say "Thats the old version!", with no explanation. Jeez.

madboy sounds like a troll to me.

_

Message Edited by 2bad on 28-Jan-2010 09:43 PM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

My god your the rude one in the forum then are you 2bad? Why the aggression, i knew i was posting straight after chollokbops, so saw no reason to reply with his discussion, you can see that he knew what i was talking about!

With regards to firmware we were advised that there would be a new firmware version, hence me saying "Thats the old version!"

With regards to having posted 3 times, whats the relevance? Just because i dont post in here, this does not mean that i dont know what i am saying, just because it seems you are "perfect", it does not mean you need to troll other people, or does it?

Happy now?

N97 - Product code 0585262
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Guess we'll have to wait till sunday like britzinelul24 said... but probably when sunday comes-we'll have to wait another day, then another, then another...
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

so just a bit curious

I have the new Ovi Maps 3.03 installed on my N97 and they are all working  :smileyvery-happy:

This may seem noobish but will using the voice nav still use the network provided by my phone account...being Vodafone...and draw off of my data allowance?

Or is this now a free of charge/data thing like my 6110 Navigator phone was back in the day?

Cheers guys

Please use plain text.