Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Ovi Maps 3.03 (with Free Navigation) for the N97

Counsellor
rider5512

Re: Ovi Maps 3.03 (with Free Navigation) for the N97

@grouch19

Network data charges may well apply when using ovi maps on your mobile depending on your settings.

Under positioning methods (applications-location-GPS data-options-positioning settings-positioning methods) the default settings are Assisted GPS, Integrated GPS, Network based are selected with Bluetooth GPS de-selected. Assisted GPS and Network based both use data so to avoid data useage these settings will have to be de-selected using Internal GPS only. However disabling these settings may cause you a longer wait for a fix.

Also Ovi Maps on your phone has the ability to sync with Ovi Maps on the web (you need to have set up a nokia account on the web to use this service) and syncing again will incur data useage. Syncing is set to manual as a default so unless you have set this feature up then you don't need to worry.

Hope this answers your query.

Rider5512
Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]

_

@madboy

No I am not rude. Your posting did not offer any original information to the discussion. You merely reported something said by someone else - cbidlake. And it was wrong information. And, if you read  chollokbops' next posting, he thanked you for the wrong information.

"Cheers Madboy, you gotta admit that it's good of nokia to have the old version there as "the latest download" I take it I gotta use 21 then."

I posted the correct information.

Then chollokbops told me I was wrong, based on him believing your incorrect information:

"Very good 2bad but the update is the old one that Madboy told me about. I am really wishing I hadn't bothered with this chuffin update as now I can't even get an over view of the world on maps-Whereas in November I guided myself around USA with no hassle.......Somebody take control dognammit!!!:smileymad:"

But I was correct - you were wrong, and you misled chollokbops, who acted on your advice.

So you posted information which you yourself did not know to be true - just a rumour.

chollokbops believed you you what you were talking about, made a decision not to update his software based on your wrong information.

chollokbops then corrected me (wrongly) when I posted the correct information.

This is exactly why rubbish information becomes "fact" in these forums. Because wrong information gets spread around, by others who are either too lazy or too inexperienced to know any better.  

People come here to get correct information from people who know more than they do.

If you do not know what you're talking about, don't bother posting. And don't give me that old rubbish about "Everybody is entitled to his opinion.". When it comes to simple matters of fact, there is no room for opinion. You either know it, or you don't. It's not a cosy chatroom. It's a technical support forum.

Bad information is worse than no information at all.

Why did you bother to post at all? What did you think you were adding to the discussion by posting unsubstantiated rumour? And getting it wrong.

That's what I was describing about your 3 posts - it just displays inexpeience of posting on this technical forum.

_

Message Edited by 2bad on 29-Jan-2010 05:24 AM
Please use plain text.
Contributor

For all the people that are "Blocked Out" by Region Codes, Branded N97s or FW heres the link to get the SIS file: OVI Maps 3.03

NOTE:

• It should work on all FW versions
  • Leave atleast 9Mb in C drive
  • Uninstall all previous versions
  • Check if OVI Maps support your country.

Enjoy,

DJScope

Please use plain text.
Sage
britzinelul24

[ Edited ]

N97 Firmware 21.0.045 (RM-505) & 21.2.045 (RM-507) due 1st February: A Nokia employee has posted within the Nokia

http://www.nokiausers.net/Symbian/N97-Firmware-21.0.045-RM-505-21.2.045-RM-507-due-1st-February.html...

Ah and if you like my post give a kudos :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by britzinelul24 on 29-Jan-2010 12:14 PM
Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

djscopesofm wrote:

For all the people that are "Blocked Out" by Region Codes, Branded N97s or FW heres the link to get the SIS file: OVI Maps 3.03

NOTE:

• It should work on all FW versions
  • Leave atleast 9Mb in C drive
  • Uninstall all previous versions
  • Check if OVI Maps support your country.

Enjoy,

DJScope

That is not the N97 version !!!!

it is the N97 mini version. Do you think Nokia would have gone to the trouble of specifically excluding the N97 from the initial release and releasing a special verion if there was no reason not to install the regualr version.....

your post is misleading. if people want to install the N97 mini version that's their call butyour post is misleading.

There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
j_ben

some said that the n97-mini ovi maps 3.03 worked on n97-1.

may be worth a try for those whom he said are "blocked out"... etc etc ..

anyone tried it out as suggested?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

So is it best to wait for the V21 upgrade due on Monday and not install 3.03 as a software update?  The answer is whether V21 will install maps 3.03 in the rom, thereby not having both 3.01 and 3.03 dually installed as it is if you install 3.03 as a software update.  Anybody have an answer to that?
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi,

I have a german un-branded N97, RM-505, PC 0586701, SW 12.0.026 and installed the OVI Maps 3.03 for N97mini two days ago. It works great. No probs at all....so far :smileywink:

Hope this helps.

Oh, and I have 40 MB of free space on the C: drive, as I uninstalled all (for me) useless programs and installed everything on mass memory, right after I bought the N97. 

Cheers 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rider5512

@ j_ben

Installed the N97 mini version from release date and it's worked fine just a big memory footprint that's all.

I am hoping that v2.1 will have maps 3.03 built in and not 3.01 as v2 which should solve the extra mem problem.

Rider5512
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
j_ben

I dont think there is still someone within this forum who has fw v20xxxx had not tried out the latest Ovi maps 3.03.:smileytongue:

at any rate, i hope it will be installed in the ROM so that c: will be saved.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

flagpole wrote: 

it is the N97 mini version. Do you think Nokia would have gone to the trouble of specifically excluding the N97 from the initial release and releasing a special verion if there was no reason not to install the regualr version.....

your post is misleading. if people want to install the N97 mini version that's their call butyour post is misleading.

if you actually check the version its exactly the same so i dont see how the information is misleading. im pretty sure they didnt release it because of the unknown bugs it couldve had coz of the hardware keyboard and maybe compatibility issues.
i dont think they were making a special one for n97 they just werent sure yet, or they wanted to hype up the new free satnav to boost sales for their newer model N97 mini
 anyway i dont see no one else complaining but u 

Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

djscopesofm wrote:

flagpole wrote: 

if you actually check the version its exactly the same so i dont see how the information is misleading. im pretty sure they didnt release it because of the unknown bugs it couldve had coz of the hardware keyboard and maybe compatibility issues.
i dont think they were making a special one for n97 they just werent sure yet, or they wanted to hype up the new free satnav to boost sales for their newer model N97 mini
 anyway i dont see no one else complaining but u 

the n97 mini version is not the same, this is the best information we have available. it's to do with the size of the c:\ drive of the n97. your statement is based on complet conjecture and speculation.

you're rude and arrogant and i have no interest inwhat you think or have to say.

There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

@2bad

So i am correct then, advising that it was "the old version" and i did not mislead the chap. The original post by cbidlake stated and i quote "N97 are advised to update their firmware after release, which will then make the Ovi Maps 3.03 application available for download."

So version 20.0.019 was in effect the "old version" and i read cbidlake post correctly that the new firmware should be installed which will happen to be 21.0.045 relased on 1st February!

So before jumping on your high horse, read the original post and stop feeling so superior!

Oh incidentally you stated that it was "just a rumour" about the firmware update - Now who is incorrect and did not read the original post!

N97 - Product code 0585262
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

j_ben wrote:

I dont think there is still someone within this forum who has fw v20xxxx had not tried out the latest Ovi maps 3.03.:smileytongue:

I haven't tried out the "latest Ovi maps 3.03".  I think they rushed it out as usual, since the firmware wasn't ready. I'm waiting for V21 to see if it installs on the rom to save c: space.  If not, then I may update to 3.03.  I just don't see the big deal of turn by turn..when does anybody really need it?  

Please use plain text.

fldude99 wrote:

j_ben wrote:

I haven't tried out the "latest Ovi maps 3.03".  I think they rushed it out as usual, since the firmware wasn't ready. I'm waiting for V21 to see if it installs on the rom to save c: space.  If not, then I may update to 3.03.  I just don't see the big deal of turn by turn..when does anybody really need it?  

Turn by turn gives you the same advantage as handsfree telephony - i.e. you don't need to look away when driving.Obvious safety advantage, in my opinion. Also, I find it makes it much easier for me to find addresses in sprawling housing estates - especially in the dark. I used to be happy with paper maps or Google maps - but now I'm a convert.

Ovi Maps 3.03 seems stable on my N97 - wish I could say the same for the 2.0 firmware. Roll on 2.1 - as long as it fixes the bugs! A phone that randomly won't let you answer or end a call is not fit for purpose. And as for the integration with Nokia car kits.... don't get me started.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
j_ben

for me it's a big deal because it's free.

it's the same as paid ones and premium service

the t by t, i'll need it 2 years from now when i get my own car because it's still free at that time

Please use plain text.
Contributor

flagpole wrote:

the n97 mini version is not the same, this is the best information we have available. it's to do with the size of the c:\ drive of the n97. your statement is based on complet conjecture and speculation.

you're rude and arrogant and i have no interest inwhat you think or have to say.

so can u tell me whats the size of the app??? i bet you cant and im pretty sure its the same 

Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]
@madboy

No, you are still wreong.

cbidlake said "Users of the N97 are advised to update their firmware after release, which will then make the Ovi Maps 3.03 application available for download.".

Given that over 90% of N97 users must already have FW V 20.0.19 installed by now, and that V 20.0.19, makes the Ovi Maps 3.03 available for download, cbidlake's "advice" was at best misleading, and at worse, incorrect for almost all N97 users. The advice was only relevant to those N97 users not already on FW 20.0.19 - a tiny minority. And this should have been stated.

The advice should have read "Users of the N97, not already running FW release V 20.0.19,  are advised to update their firmware after release, which will then make the Ovi Maps 3.03 application available for download. If you are already running FW V 20.0.19, you are already able download the Ovi Maps 3.03.".. Or words to that effect.

Please carry on mumbling about this if you must - I'm done with it.

_
Message Edited by 2bad on 30-Jan-2010 11:07 AM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Please people lets stop flaming (cussing and arguing..) in the first place no one should insult or disrespect another even just a little bit. THIS IS NOKIA CONNECTING PEOPLE forum... (that's actually funny typing that out...) LOL...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Turn by turn gives you the same advantage as handsfree telephony - i.e. you don't need to look away when driving.Obvious safety advantage, in my opinion. Also, I find it makes it much easier for me to find addresses in sprawling housing estates - especially in the dark. I used to be happy with paper maps or Google maps - but now I'm a convert.

Ovi Maps 3.03 seems stable on my N97 - wish I could say the same for the 2.0 firmware. Roll on 2.1 - as long as it fixes the bugs! A phone that randomly won't let you answer or end a call is not fit for purpose. And as for the integration with Nokia car kits.... don't get me started.

That may be so if it works..but to my experience, turn by turn even on even on premium or built in the vehicle, give such poor directions as to not really be worth it.  I give credit to nokia for offering this service in order to get brownie points, but its safer to pull over, look at a map (either paper or on a device) and plan accordingly.

Edit:  BTW: handsfree telephony is just about as dangerous as "hands on" telephony.  NO telephone use while driving..I mean ZERO is the only safe way to go.  

Message Edited by fldude99 on 31-Jan-2010 04:07 PM
Message Edited by fldude99 on 31-Jan-2010 04:09 PM
Please use plain text.