Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Ovi Maps 3.06 & 5800 XM. Update function worked in...

Counsellor
9252fly
Accepted Solution

Ovi Maps 3.06 & 5800 XM. Update function worked in beta but not on final release

After spending hours and hours of my valuable time trying to get the update function to work in the final release of 3.06,I give up and have had to turn to this forum for help. I've encountered so many problems with moving from the beta to final release that I don't know where to start. Seems you cannot update form the 3.06 beta,you must first remove a significant number of installed files with the application manager before Ovi Suite will stop giving you a error response when trying to update to the final version from beta. This I only learnt on a forum.

The issue of why the update function no longer works as it did in the beta version has me stumped. I've tried reinstalling the phone software,set it back to it's factory settings,etc,etc,etc,. I really liked the beta update function,it worked well by indicationg the maps I had installed and could check to see if my maps were out of date. I had even used it to download a few smaller maps.

I read somewhere to try deleting some of the MapLoader files that are stored on the micro-SD card. It's possible I did not delete the correct one's as that did not help.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
9252fly

Re: Ovi Maps 3.06 & 5800 XM. Update function worked in beta but not on final release

Found this on the Nokia Beta Labs forum. Anyone want to comment on it?

The "Restore from backup cracks Update button" bug is still present in this version v3.06 11wk10 b01
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: Ovi Maps 3.06 & 5800 XM. Update function worked in beta but not on final release

@9252fly

Welcome to the forum!

You have my commiserations as have "Update"  working on 5800XM but not N8, although not unexpected in view of difficulty returning N8 to "out of box" state, which not an issue however with 5800XM. Ironically on N8 the application Mobile Map Loader from OVI Store http://store.ovi.com/content/77461 does work on with latest OVI Maps version, which in my situation may have introduced conflicts with "Update".

I might add that as primarily a Mac user OVI Suite is not a readily available option so would get application via:http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/maps-support/compatibility-and-download#/nokia-5800-...

If backing up to memory card I have yet to try just restoring Contacts & Messaging on newly formatted device to see if by not restoring "Settings" this resolves the issue or not.

As you mentioned it can sometimes be necessary to Go to Menu > Settings > Application mgr. > Installed apps and uninstall any of these present: Open C LIBSSL,Open C LIBSSL Patch, OVI Maps Wi-Fi/Network Positioning, PIPS Installer, Share Location Agent, Share Location, Share Location Widget, Standard C++ Library Common, Standard C++ Library Patch, Symbian OS Pipes Upgrade, Symbian OS PIPS Upgrade & Upgrade for OpenC LIBZ Support

AFAIK the only files mentioned for removal from memory card are E:\Cities + .qf file to remove all existing map data in case of corruption when changing from one map set to another upon updating.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
9252fly

Thank you for the informative response. I have saved a copy of v3.06 11wk10 b01 on my micro SD card. Which steps would you suggest I take to get the update icon to work when I open Ovi Maps on the phone. What I've sometimes noticed is that when tapping the update icon,it will show a spinning timer for a few seconds and stop as if it wants to start but something goes wrong. Other attempts at tapping the update icon have no effect what so ever.

The Ovi map version on the phone is 0.2.42.122. It may be that in order to get the update icon to function,one would have to do some of the steps in a very specific order.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
9252fly

Ovi Maps 3.06 update now working. Solution is to reset phone with *#7370#  and default password,or password you've selected. I installed a new larger 16GB micro SD card,could have just reformated the installed 8GB card. Once the phone was reset,Ovi Maps reverted to 3.03 and I opened the app and touched the maps icon. As I had not installed a memory card yet,it downloaded map data from my 3G network. I then repeated the process with the new memory card installed.What's interesting is that it created a "cities" folder sub folders and a qf file.
The next step was to check for updates,which I first tried on the phone using the SW update icon in applications. It indicated that Ovi Maps 3.06 was available. I then decided to connect the phone to Ovi Suite and check for updates,again Ovi Maps 3.06 showed as available.
This is where it gets a little interesting. As I downloaded 3.06 it gave me an error response. "The map update was interrupted and there are outdated maps on your device. Open the maps application on your device,if requested,delete any outdated maps. To let maps reset itself,make sure it's online,allow it to run for awhile and then close it. Disconnect and reconnect your device and download new maps in Nokia Ovi Suite. Error code # 701".
I went to file manager and deleted the "cities and qf files on the SD card. I then went and opened Ovi Maps on the phone. The first thing I noticed was that the home screen looked the same but it defaulted with Events,Lonely Planet and Michelin icons displayed;never seen that before.
It was finally time to test the update icon...it worked!!!

After all the hours and time (days)spent being determined not to be beaten by the software,I can say that I succeeded in the end. Was it worth all the trouble? Honestly I don't know.

The bottom solution is to reset the phone and start all over again. It may be of some use to have a blank SD card to avoid any possibility of a file existing on the card that conflicts with the update function.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
martin3x

Hi,

I see you could solve your problem.

Only that I wouldn't say that reseting your phone to factory state is a good solution.

That reset you did, did erase all other applications as well?

I still have Ovi Maps Beta on my 5800XM.  I'm really reluctant to install the new not-beta version and get stuck in the middle without any version working, and having to reset my phone.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

martin3x wrote:

Hi,

I still have Ovi Maps Beta on my 5800XM.  I'm really reluctant to install the new not-beta version and get stuck in the middle without any version working, and having to reset my phone.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

If you carry out such reset all applications installed by yourself will deleted and if you backup to memory card only those previously installed on memory card will be re-installed by carrying out restore.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.