Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Ovi Maps 3

Contributor
DaleC
Accepted Solution

Ovi Maps 3

[ Edited ]

Hi, run into a bit of a problem but don't know if its correct.

I've just installed the latest version of Ovi maps onto my E71, downloaded the England map and ran it once. However when i'm trying to select a region to navigate to when im offline it is coming up as unavailable offline. However when i connect through wifi it will search for it and show up? Is there anyway to download the full map onto the card (thought i had as the download was over 100 meg but when ive checked both the phone and the card there is nothing on it even though Ovi suite says download and transfer complete?? Weird)

I can browse locally on the map (yeah even though i cant find it :smileysad: ) but anywhere outside of a 5 mile radius and im stumped.

I've got it set to use the inbuilt Gps. Failing that is there anyway to download the map manually and transfer it onto the card instead myself instead of using ovi suit to do it automatically as i've downloaded and installed it from fresh 3 times (says downloading and transferring) but so far no luck?

Sorry for the essay but any help will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you. Dale.

Edit: well just tried again and it downloaded and said transferred but when ive browsed both the phone and card again there isn't a folder called Cities which i believe should be transferred onto the card??

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

Maps are in the CITIES folder on the memory card .

UK is 156 MB .

That folder can be copied off as a backup of the current maps when working .

jje

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DaleC

Thank you for the reply. Just redownloaded it and tried again and its worked this time. It said downloading map for quite a bit then transferring. I think where i was going wrong was disconnecting the device after that as i left it connected and it then said downloading Cities then transferring to device which it didnt the first three times (probably my fault for not leaving it connected as i thought it had finished installing after it said transfer complete when it finished the map instal. oops) Once again thank you it's much appreciated jjegan. regards Dale.
Please use plain text.
Sage
OzRob

DaleC wrote:
... i thought it had finished installing after it said transfer complete when it finished the map instal. oops) Once again thank you it's much appreciated jjegan. regards Dale.

When maps are installed, two files need to be transferred to the phone - the map itself and then an index file that contains all the info for street/POI searches. If you disconnect the phone after the map loads you will not get the index file, hence no offline searching. When using map loader wait until everything is both downloaded and transferred. The Map Uploader program will rescan your phone when it's finished - until it does this, leave it connected. And yes, the download and transfer process can take a lot of time.

If I've helped you, you can thank me by clicking the green 'kudos' star on my post. Cheers.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
DaleC

Thanks guys. Sorted now and its running great. Yeah i'll put it down to my impatience as i kept disconnecting it when it said map instal finished instead of waiting. So far its much better than the ageing tomtom i use on an old hp ipaq. Thanks again. Dale.

Please use plain text.