Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Ovi Maps + GPX/KML import

Advisor
MikkoL

Ovi Maps + GPX/KML import

It would be great to get a GPS import (from GPX or KML for example) to Ovi Maps. Routing would be easy then for example to upload cycling routes available on the web to Ovi Maps account and sync it with the phone. The phone could then be used with cycling or hiking, etc.

KML would be great, as then the route could also be examined with Google Earth ;-)

Please use plain text.
Sage

I am working with landmarks, means single points in a row.

The route is then a series of landmarks, one after the other on the route.

That is not what you are asking for, but at least it is a help.

You can export from GoggleEarth, then convert to lmx, then load into your mobile.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
MikkoL

Ok, that's a step in the right direction :-)

What is the best way to convert from KML or GPX to LMX ?

I have found some online tools (like the Garmin POI Editor) but it doesn't really read the GPX/KML format properly...

Please use plain text.
Dfrog

Hi, new here, I have use babel to convert file format for my gps to google, the babel program haves a wat's call Nokia Landmark Exchange format I don't now if this the format LMX.

I have a 6210 navigator and try to install garmin map's but with no luck it will install ok but will not detect the internal gps receiver, so I give up on garmin.

Here you con fine the link for the software for babel.

http://www.gpsbabel.org/ 

hope this help's 

Please use plain text.
Sage

I somtimes draw a track in Google-Earth.

Then export as kml or kmz file.

Then load it into a tool called Routeconverter... search the internet, you will find it.

Here you can preview again, clean up, move .... if necessary.... or you simply export as lmx.(Nokia landmark exchange).

That file then can be opened on your nokia with normal explorer, and will then display the single points as POI. You can now save them all, and they will then be stored in your landmarks, in a category called "no category"... from there you could mark them all and move them to a new category if you would like to ... do not need to.....

Now if there are many POIs in, then it needs some time before they appear on the map. If you immediatly open the map they are maybe not there... you have to wait some seconds. Just restart the map, and they will be then visible after some time. You could also use "display on map" which is available in the landmark-application, but you do not need to...

Please use plain text.
Dfrog

now that I did not now and thank, so I can convert my track and mark from google to the nokia mmmmm that is good thank man.:smileywink: 

hey you now a program to use in my nokia to recor mi track, I like to do hiking so this will be a good app.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
edc088

I've created a route wit ridewithgps.com and saved as a kml file. When i convert this to a lmx file my E72 keeps on saying 'unable to open landmark'

Does anyone have any ideas why this is???

many thanks

Please use plain text.
Sage

You could attach a sample kml or lmx and i could then do a quick check on my phone?

@dfrog: Check for Sports Tracker. I love that app. I posted the link for the very new version in this board... if your phone is not supported by that version then there are older versions out there. Maybe you have it already installed on your phone? (It was on mine...)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
zeitweise

my nokia e71 won't open the .lmx file either. importing not only landmarks but also tours would be such a great feature!
Please use plain text.
Sage

Did export as Track GPX, and then converted to lmx (with RouteConverter), then stored to phone.

Started explorer on the phone, opened the file, marked all POIs and saved.

Then (after few minutes) opened maps and was able to see all POIs.

No prob.... where do you have the problem exactly?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
zeitweise

@noplayback I did it just the way you described it. The problem occurs when I try to open the .lmx file on the phone. Both the internal explorer and the external software "file explorer" (http://www.getjar.com/mobile/29142/the-ultimate-file-explorer-for-nokia-e71/) state: "Unknown file format. Cannot open files, only folders may be opened" when I hit "open". File permissions are set to read&write.
Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

There is a symbol in front of the Filename, which is a question mark. Did never see that... but still it works.

I am using the internal explorer, and once i click on the filename , or select open from the menu, it opens and shows all POIs in a list.

I did click on 2 points somewhere in the world, and generated the gpx file, and then converted to lmx.

See attached, i had to rename it to txt so you have to rename back to the extension lmx... hope that works....

Please use plain text.
Dfrog

man thank for the info, I down load the sis file from Sport Tracker install the file and it work like a charm, I used this Sunday, it converts your track to the format of Google heart and can convert them to gpx file, no crashes on my 6210 navigator.

Sorry for taking so long to replay.

Please use plain text.
Hardingen20

noplayback wrote:

See attached, i had to rename it to txt so you have to rename back to the extension lmx... hope that works....

I just did try it on my E71, works fine and displays the POIs on the map (ovi map 3). After opening the file with the E71's file manager and saving them, the POIs will be accessible in the Favorites of Ovi Maps. That's just what I've been looking for. Thx!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Route Converter needs **bleep**ty Java to work. I used GPS Babel from

http://www.gpsbabel.org/downloaded.html

to convert Garmin XT (.gpx) to Nokia landmark Exchange (.lmx) for ovi maps 3.03. Open the saved file in file manager on your Nokia and select save all. Worked very well!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Madmax2

My N8 simply "can't find location" as it says, even after converting gpx to lmx using this otherwise nice Babel thing

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Madmax2

After many more attempts I wonder if I have to drag the lmx'ies to a specific folder in the phone ? Would like to keep the Nokia, but also would like navigating imported routes. Hmm....

Please use plain text.
Professor
hpholm

[ Edited ]

Opening the .lmx in Files manager by double tap should work from any folder. I'm a bit rusty with Symbian and never used Nokia Maps to follow a specific route, since the planning and also following a route in Nokia Maps is clumsy - miss a point on the route, and it insists going back to the missed point instead of driving on to the next. Nokia Maps may also decide to re-route when underways, unless it has lots of points to follow.

http://www.viewranger.com/ has a nice website for route planning, where you can try and import the .gpx after creating a free account, and also a Symbian app to track, export, import, and follow a route. The user interface of the Symbian app is complex, but it also has many options. It is well documented in FAQ's and a user manual. :smileywink:

I hope you get it sorted out.

--

Hans

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Madmax2

[ Edited ]

I have already installed the viewranger app and it is nice. But what I would like is to be able to use the maps already installed on Nokia as mapsource for displaying imported routes. To use viewranger with, for example http://www.opencyclemap.org/ one have to download huge amounts of data. Perhaps my solution is to purchase a dedicated bike computer ala https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/cycling/edge-810/prod112912.html

Perhaps time finally has passed Nokia...........

Please use plain text.