Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Ovi Maps for Serbia

Filipdr
Accepted Solution

Ovi Maps for Serbia

I don't get it! Why do Serbian Ovi Maps only have major road information that is not even updated regularly!? 

When will Serbia have fully detailed Ovi Maps like most of its neighbors (Croatia, Hungary etc...)!?

Please use plain text.
ognjenm

Re: Ovi Maps for Serbia

I am interested in this as well. We've been waiting for years. What is the problem?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@ognjenm

As you say for now 0.2.45.109 restricted to major roads as per screenshot:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
ognjenm

Yes, but why is it so? NAVTEQ, obviously, has very detailed maps of Serbia, so what's been stopping nokia from implementing them all these years?

Please use plain text.
Filipdr

And it's not only Nokia, many other companies who use NAVTEQ maps aren't including map info for Serbia as well, there is simply no explenation why whould Serbia be left out. I see it as a discrimination!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mss1988

[ Edited ]

Ok people, we should investigate what stopping NAVTEQ's map of Serbia to get to end users. There are several possibilities:

1. The map is not met the standards proposed by Nokia so they don't want to release it until they're satisfied with it's quality. That's what officials says:

10/28/11

Dear Mr. Elop

I'm sending you this e-mail as a beg for addition Serbia in Nokia Maps coverage. Map data for a country of Serbia is already present on Navteq site for almost about a year, but it seems that there's no will at Nokia for adding it into Nokia Maps. I also have to remind that Nokia is one of the most popular brands in Serbia, not only on mobile market, it's one of the most popular brands overall here. Also I must remind that user share of Symbian users here is higher than user share of all other mobile operating systems together.
Serbia is country in south eastern Europe, in the center of Balkan Peninsula. It has area of 7,387,367 km2, and the population about 7.3 million people. In December it will become European Union candidate.

best regards

-- 
Milan S. Stanković, student of Computer science at university of Niš, Serbia

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

10/29/11

Thanks for your note. I will share it with the right people here at Nokia.

Regards, 

Stephen

11/1/11

Hello,

Thanks indeed for your message. We are fully committed to provide good quality maps also for Serbia, but have not launched them as part of the global Nokia Maps service yet. Let me give a bit of background on that.

Nokia has the world’s largest maps and navigation platform, that provides voice-guided navigation service for around 100 countries worldwide and seamless access to maps of over 180 countries. In order to guarantee our users the best experience when using Nokia Maps we aim for the highest possible quality standards. To integrate a new country seamlessly into a global world map and our service offering, we need to make sure that the map representation reflects certain standards and requirements.

Therefore we currently do not yet offer a complete navigable map for Serbia. What we have at the moment are so-called “transit maps” for Serbia. These maps include mainly highways and larger roads enabling a basic navigation for larger distances between cities within Serbia or to navigate cross-country.

That said, we are continuously working on the improvement of Nokia Maps and based on the available map data we aim next year to cover also Serbia with navigable maps.

Best regards,
Nokia Location & Commerce, Map Platform team

11/2/11

Thank you for your answer. But several months ago at location: maps.nokia.com there was complete map of Serbia, with the same level of details as present map on Navteq's site. It wasn't available for Nokia devices, but details was very good, about as the same level as Garmin's, and Microsoft's Bing maps. There's only two commercial maps that are more detailed compared to Nokia's map, it's Google's (because they opened to community for editing), and NDrive/iGo (they licensed it from local map provider). So that means that Nokia's (Navteq's) map is already high quality, and good enough to be available to users. I know many people who switched to Android, just because of lack of navigable maps on Nokia. I hope you'll make your maps available, and let Nokia remain most popular brand in Serbia.
Best regards.

11/4/11

Hi Milan,
Thanks for more details. I can assure you that releasing good detailed navigable maps also for Serbia is definitely high on our agenda. I agree with you it is very important for us to launch competitive offering also in terms of maps.
Best regards,
Jussi

or 

2. They simply want to discriminate us since we are the only Europe country along with Albania, Moldavia and Belarus that doesn't have detailed maps yet.

or 

3. Our government is doing something to prevent maps to get out. E.G. Maybe government don't want to answer to some authorization needed or something. You already know that our government usually doesn't do things that are not beneficial to them personally (with money, political votes, etc...).

So people, what do you think?

MODERATORS NOTE: E-mail address has been removed. Sharing of personal information is not allowed on the forums. Please do not share sensitive or personal information as it could threaten your personal security and that of others.

Please use plain text.
Filipdr

:squint:^ Hmm, very interesting... So Nokia said that we should be expecting full map coverage of Serbia this year, if that's true, then it's fine, I don't have a problem waiting, but I'm still very disapointed that Montenegro, Macedonia or even Bosnia got the full coverage before us... :smileymad:

Nokia (and other companies who use NAVTEQ maps), we are waiting!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
momcilo

First of all, I would like to thank mss1988 for letting me know about more up-to-date thread. I've read the Elop's e-mail, and I think it is highly unlikely that he has answared the e-mail. Being a CEO, he has much more important tasks on dayly base, other than customer relationships. Most CEOs have people who are tasked of filtering/answering public e-mail address. A very small amount of such e-mail ever reaches CEO's secretary.

For regular uses, Elop is most definantly using another e-mail account that is resticted to limited number people within company. 

In addition, all customers are told to be important, even when that is not a fact.

Back to the topic:

The main problem here, is that Nokia phones are heavily advertised with MAPS/Navigation feature  in Serbia, while no maps are available for Serbia at the moment.

Is false advertising offense in our country?

Can we apply for some sort of consumer protection and/or make a group action?

As for level of details and quality: these are not necessarily the same things.

Example: You can hava a very detailed map, that is not properly navigable. I had such expirience with Ovi Maps on Thassos, Greece, two years ago. The navigation directed me to port, I've got to the ferry, than once on island it directed me to go back to the mainland. :smileywink:The map was detailed, but not navigable.There were more incidents like that during the trip, but luckily I was using www.openstreetmap.org and navit on my other device at the same time.

If this is the case with Ovi Maps, offering less detailed in exchange for reliability (or no use) is preferred strategy (imagine finding yourself at the end of unfinished bridges like Pancevacki or Ada Bridge).

As for other reasons, our country may be black-listed either because of external or internal factors, which is supported by the fact that all of the countries that are not provided with detailed maps are actually considered as unstable countries (Serbia, Bosnia, Albania, Moldova).

One more thing, if I clear all maps, and download Serbia only, I get detailed Macedonia instead. Can someone confirm this?

Most likely this a glitch, but there is a small posibility that there are rogue employees within Nokia that are simply subverting the maps updates for Serbia. Still, I find this to be very unprobable.

As far as I can see, the best way we can do is to accept causalties and move to android and Google Maps. Most of us have bought phones 2 years ago (e.g. 5800, n97), which are already old-enough not to recieve software updates. I believe the number of new users (like N9, N8) is rather small.

As the last resort we can vote with your wallets!

Nokia is already troubled company that has made 40% of profit loss  (~ 1 billion euro) during last year only.

This has occured for serveral reasons:

• Symbian is inferior to Android iOS (ask yourself if you now someone who has bought Nokia phone during the last year)
  • Symbian was prematurely killed by CEO himself back in March (which did not help their sales)
  • Maemo (Meego) was brutally killed by both Intel and Nokia
  • Windows Phone will not get the attention of customers

Most likely this trend will  continue, and no matter how deep their pockets are, they will loose the race, unless they provide a true game changer that will bring them back to the top.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mss1988

Well only the first replay is from Elop. Other replays are from people lower in hierarchy who are specialized on maps and navigation. The admin removed their names.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
momcilo

Good thing you've tried to reach Elop. I was thinking about the same thing, but decided not to do it since I did not expect any answer.

I've tried on two occasions to alert customer service, without any definite answer. The answer was basically: "Please have patience".

Please use plain text.
Advisor
sapphire_07

Thank you for contacting Elop, this mail helps a lot. If maps come this year, that will be great. I am prepared to wait that long, because I still thing that Nokia has better phones then Android. Hardware is way better and Software is less flashy but more practical for everyday use. However, in other countries Nokia has reputation of offering excellent services like Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive, which in our case is useless.

If they say that they want to provide us with good quality maps, and that the current Navteq maps do not meet the standard, it would be great if they could release those maps and when they make better ones, just release an update. Bad maps are better than no maps.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mss1988

[ Edited ]

Nokia made map of Cyprus blank because of political problems in country - unilateral declaration of independence northern part of it.

We have the same problem with Kosovo. Is that stooping Nokia to make maps of Serbia available? If's that the case, than we can say good buy to Nokia maps, since our politicians will never solve the problem - THEY WANT IT TO REMAIN FOREVER!

Please use plain text.
combuster

[ Edited ]

Please, do not mix politics with this issue. We are all consumers of Nokia products, let it be here in Serbia or wherever, it is in Nokias best interest, and so is ours, to provide full coverage for Europe not only for citizens of Serbia but for all the people that are visiting this beautifull country. 

I'm 100% positive, that this is not, and should not be in any way, an issue for Nokia. Garmin, nDRIVE, iGO and others certainly doesn't seem to find this troublesome. However, since Garmin doesn't provide mobile apps anymore, nDRIVE seems to ditch Symbian (10 has a problem with voice navigation and this is a must on phones like Nokia E6, at least I found this info on the net), Sygic doesn't have a complete maps for Serbia either, Nokia maps is the only navigation software for Symbian phones that is dedicated to provide quality service and pleasant user experience. Unfortunately, maps prevents us from using it and that differentiate us from 95% of users worldwide (and that's not cool btw :smileyhappy:)

As a long time Linux user, I belive that if you really want some piece of software to be perfect - you should do everything you can to provide feedback and do your part in the developement process. I've already tested Nokia maps from beta labs, provided feedback, mentioned the issue with maps for Serbia - as I will do for most software that needs beta testing. Maybe it's not much but that's all I can do ATM. BTW, Nokia drive and other apps from the beta package are plain and simple awesome.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
momcilo

Yet another map vesion update (0.2.45.110), yet another disappointment.

Please use plain text.
dusko

A few days ago there is a detailed map of Bosnia and Herzegovina at maps.nokia.com. Only Serbia, Albania, Moldova and Belarus do not have detailed maps. Hope to see it soon. Greetings from Belgrade, Serbia.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
boyan3001

[ Edited ]

As a very long fan of Nokia's phone philosophy, I'm very dissapointed at the end, with this unwilling to add any map for Serbia. It is now more than a few years that map service is provided  and generaly navigation is quite normal thing on smartphones and nothing at all happend on map of Serbia. The story about hi standard and quality of maps is just a story for masses. No map is perfect and maps for other countries have bugs that could push you in to truble with navigation. But they are offered legaly. The fact is that Serbia is a very small market with low standard and is not quite important to any company. They have much bigger problems to solve, before out map.

Nokia was a great phone company. Symbian was misspointed at start and never fixed properly. Honestly I have no single reason to stay on Nokia phone and that will be my advice to all that ask.

Sorry but jebiga.

Please use plain text.
Jovan_J

Navigation on maps.nokia.com is working although there are no maps for Serbia

Please use plain text.
dusko

After long period of time using Nokia I also plan to change the brand. Unfortunatly. Maybe Samsung or so. No maps for Serbia, no (legaly) Windows mobile OS phones in Serbia... Can not believe what is going on now with former nr. 1 in mobile phones. Terrible.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
momcilo

Not only there is no detail map for Serbia, but it seems intentional errors were introduced:

See:

http://maps.nokia.com/42.250925,21.7283677,12,0,0,normal.day

This is the map section of border crossing at Presevo, where the E-75 was intentionaly disconnected.

Consider the route:

Belgrade, Serbia - Potos, Thasos, Greece.

In a web interface it will create most logical route (over Presevo), but if you use your phone (if you have maps: Serbia, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Greece), it will create a route over Bulgaria, while ignoring the highway in favour of mountain roads in Bulgaria, which extends the trip significanlty.

Bad for customers traveling through Serbia, but excelent for Bulgaria!

I've reported this issue several times, and got no answer or correction.

Please use plain text.
Jovan_J

Please use plain text.