Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Own voice for ovi maps.

Contributor
andyk68

Own voice for ovi maps.

Hi, as anyone used the own voice app with ovi maps yet?

I downloaded it yesterday and got my daughter to read the directions, well she pretty much tells me what to do all journey anyway.

When I selected the own voice for drive guidance I found that it was a mixture of the custom one I'd just created and the UK female voice. Not sure why though.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Re: Own voice for ovi maps.

Hi andyk68

Have you tried deleting English female voice from memory card?

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Contributor
andyk68

I have not, do you think it will work?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
andyk68

In fact just looked on my card and the voices I have are
english_m and
english_f_own_voice.
So it seems to have merged the own voice and female for some reason.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

andyk68 wrote:
I have not, do you think it will work?

Hi andyk68

Don't know but you could always drag E:\CITIES\diskcache\VOICES\english_female to desktop in case you need to replace it.

I give up on OVI Maps at times as I also have E:\CITIES\ENGLISH\english_female presumably from earlier installation but assume that the one in "VOICES" is newer as has 117 entries rather than 90 in it; as "if it ain't broke don't fix it", I haven't bothered to investigate further.

Please use plain text.
Sage

I believe it adds a few of the female voice files as you only record around 53 of your own voice clips.You can check this out by opening the female own voice file and clicking on each of the voice files and playing them.    You will find some of the English female voices in the file, which you can delete if you so wish.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
andyk68

You actually record all 60 files and the ones that the English Female is saying are the same as we recorded.
Its just the turn left, turn right type ones.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

bellagio wrote:

I believe it adds a few of the female voice files as you only record around 53 of your own voice clips.You can check this out by opening the female own voice file and clicking on each of the voice files and playing them.    You will find some of the English female voices in the file, which you can delete if you so wish.

Hi bellagio

Thanks for the explanation that a data merged voice file is created after uploading "Own Voice" to server, it will save a lot of future confusion.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
andyk68

If thats the case why does it ask you to record all commands?
Please use plain text.
Sage

It doesn't.   On the own voice recording there the following are not recorded:

Turn sharply left, turn slightly left, turn sharply right, turn slightly right, you WILL reach your destination, you've reached a stopover, the junction or take the 7th,8th,9th,10th,11th or 12th exit.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
andyk68

When I used it this morning the English female was saying 'Turn left', 'turn right' in fact everything she said I know for a fact we recorded. Did the same on the way home.
Please use plain text.
Technical Expert

As noted above, there are some seldom used phrases in Own Voice which you cannot replace and the default English UK - female voices will be used for those. So, you may hear a mixture of your own recordings and the default voice instructions with the current Own Voice version.

Please use plain text.
Sage

You can, of course, delete some of those 'phrases' if you so desire ie: You've reached a stopover, take the 7th-12th exit, etc.or you can subsitute the same phrases from the English male voice, if you have downloaded that as well..

Please use plain text.