Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Problem with Nokia 5230 GPS

OptimisTa
Accepted Solution

Problem with Nokia 5230 GPS

Hello,

I have Nokia 5230 and from few day I have a problem with GPS. My OVI Maps version is 3.03, Firmware version V 21.0.004.

The problem - When I start OVI Maps, it connect to internet and send information 40-60Kb information (AGPS), then it try to connect to sattelite and nothing happens, just searching and searching. Also the GPS indicator give strange indication - 2 red bars, 2 gray, 2 red, 2 gray, 2 red.

I hope that there is an easy solution and that there is no hardware problem.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi OptimisTa

Firstly is there a particular reason for not updating to OVI Maps v3.04 from here?http://maps.nokia.com/services-and-apps/ovi-maps/free-downloads#/nokia-5230/

You don't say whether regional maps were pre-installed on microSD memory card or you have downloaded via OVI Suite Maploader on your PC.

For it to be showing 40-60kb it sounds like it is downloading a map tile for your location which can be obviated by downloading regional maps.

There are two processes at work requiring a defined network access point firstly "Assisted GPS" feature found in Menu > Applications > Location > Positioning > Positioning Server > Access Point and OVI Maps > "Spanner icon" bottom left of screen > Internet > Network destination > Internet. If you have downloaded regional maps you can set "Connection" to "Offline" for routine mapping if data costs/limit an issue.

My apologies if you are now more confused but please post again with any more queries to help to resolve this issue.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
OptimisTa

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the fast response.

Maps were installed on microSD (8GB Kingston) with OVI suite (didnt remember the version). I`ll update OVI maps later today.

I forgot to mention that i`ve used OVI maps for 4-5  months with no problem at all, since 2 days ago. The application was running well, than it showed "Searching for GPS" and stopped working. I`m confused with the GPS indicator that shows red and gray bars now and in the phone manual there is no description about that indication.

Also it shoudnt download new tiles every time I start OVI maps, whats the usual traffic needed for AGPS to work?

I`ll make another tests in 5-6 hours and give new feedback.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi OptimisTa

Might suggest that you go to Menu > Applications > Location > GPS data > Position > Options > Satellite status and see what happens as OVI Maps application has to pick up the data from here.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
OptimisTa

Problem solved!

Yesterday  i`ve updated OVI maps to the latest version, reset the settings and restart the phone. After that GPS worked! Now it gives the proper yellow and green indication and it works correct.

Thanks for the help scoobyman :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
angel11

i hv a diff prob...i do not get red n green bars in the maps..i get yellow bars and do not even get the red halo marking active gps connection...the position it shows is never correct...and the features lyk weather and lonely planet do not open at all...it asks "go online to use service?"..when i click yes it just closes..nothing happens...i hv not been able to use maps since i baught ma phone...i hv tried everythng b8 they dont work...

plz help me...:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

The fact that you have "bars" of any colour indicates that you are still using v3.03 rather than v3.04 available from here: http://maps.nokia.com/services-and-apps/ovi-maps/downloads#/nokia-5230/

Might suggest that you go to Menu > Applications > Location > Positioning > Positioning methods and only enable "Integrated GPS" then go outside away from tall buildings and wait 20 minutes for it to lock onto position.

You don't say whether you have got to the stage of downloading regional maps via OVI Suite > Maps.

Although it may become necessary to reset your device meaning essential data would need to be backed up first, I am certain that it would be possible to get OVI Maps working with a bit of perseverance on your part.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
angel11

thanks 4 ur reply...i had preinstalled maps in my ph..i will update them b8 why they aren't workin widout updates...?..i hv tried all three integratd,network and assisted gps b8 i dont knw wat d problm is...

aspergerguy wrote:

The fact that you have "bars" of any colour indicates that you are still using v3.03 rather than v3.04 available from here: http://maps.nokia.com/services-and-apps/ovi-maps/downloads#/nokia-5230/

Might suggest that you go to Menu > Applications > Location > Positioning > Positioning methods and only enable "Integrated GPS" then go outside away from tall buildings and wait 20 minutes for it to lock onto position.

You don't say whether you have got to the stage of downloading regional maps via OVI Suite > Maps.

Although it may become necessary to reset your device meaning essential data would need to be backed up first, I am certain that it would be possible to get OVI Maps working with a bit of perseverance on your part.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

As I previously mentioned if you reach the stage of being prepared to "hard reset" 5230 to "Out of box" state it would probably be simpler as it would remove a lot of variables in the process.

However even if using OVI Maps v3.03 pre-installed, I would delete E:\CITIES + .qf file (usually bottom of list in File mgr.) and suggest that you go to Menu > Applications > Location > Positioning > Positioning methods and only enable "Integrated GPS" . Re-start OVI Maps which will re-initialise then go outside away from tall buildings and wait 20 - 30 minutes for it to lock onto position.

It is obtaining this very first positional fix that can take considerable time.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.