Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Routing issue with Nokia Drive on Lumia 900

bzakharin

Routing issue with Nokia Drive on Lumia 900

So I finally tried to use Nokia Drive on a real trip (in New Jersey, USA) and I've noticed that the software often seems stuck on returning you to the originally plotted route when you deviate from it, instead of finding the best remaining route based on the new location. I'll give details for my particular trip in case this is a local issue.

We decided to take the NJ Turnpike to route 18 to River Road to Interstate 287 instead of 295 to 206 to 287 as Nokia Drive recommended (the routes are roughly equivalent in travel time, so I don't fault this initial route selection). When we entered the Turnpike, the new route kept trying to get us to 295 until we passed Exit 7 (In reality, past Exit 5 there isa considerable penalty to getting off the turnpike and onto I 295).

Finally, after Exit 7 it decided we should stay on the turnpike and get to 287 directly using Exit 10 (This too is roughly equivalent in travel time, so it was a reasonable suggestion). Once we took Exit 9 to route 18 instead it picked a different route than the one we are familiar with and this is where the biggest problem occurred. The route it suggested would enter 287 North at Exit 7, while the route we took entered 287 at Exit 9. It kept insisting we get back on its rout and get on at exit 7 to the point that when we were about to enter 287 at exit 9, it told us to get onto 287 *south* and take it to exit 7 where we would exit the highway and immediately re-enter it northbound. This is rediculous and should never have been suggested.

Am I right in my assessment that the software tries to stick to the original route instead of calculating a new one on the spot? What possible advantage can there be in doing it this way?

Thanks in advance,

Boris

Please use plain text.
Sage
fonero

@bzkharin: Am I right in my assessment that the software tries to stick to the original route instead of calculating a new one on the spot? What possible advantage can there be in doing it this way?

This is the way my old OviMaps 3.03 behaves. First it tries to get me back to the original route, but if I drive far enough, it calculates a new route.

Sometimes it's annoying when OM keeps telling me to make u-turn.

It might be psychologically a good idea to first try to recover the driver to the original route. If you happen to take a wrong turn, you probably are happy to return to the original route. Only OM tries to do it for too long.

There might be technical reason too. If the destination is far away, it might take a lot of processor time to recalculate a totally new route. Maybe the new route would tell you to turn left, but you are already three crossings further!

But, I agree: sometimes it is annoying to be directed to the old route.

Fonero

PS The spell checker of this site doesn't know words like Lumia and OviMaps!

(Lumia 820, 8.0.10328.78, 3047.0000.1328.0003, Here Drive+ 3.0.4121.0, map 8.30.51.121)
Please use plain text.
bzakharin

I don't buy the speed thing. It takes about 3 seconds to calculate the initial route, so it shouldn't take longer than that to calculate a new one. It should also have an audible "route recalculation" message to alert the driver. If the driver accidentally left the route that should be enough clue to await further instructions. And even if it was an accident, if the U-turn is no longer the most efficient route, there is no reason to suggest it.
Please use plain text.
Sage
fonero

Here is a quite stupid example on route recalculation and how it tries to return to the route originally suggested. The recalculated route suggests that I turn right, drive a few meters and then make a U-turn. The error is not in map data itself. The other picture shows that turning left is not forbidden.

Fonero

(Lumia 820, 8.0.10328.78, 3047.0000.1328.0003, Here Drive+ 3.0.4121.0, map 8.30.51.121)
Please use plain text.
Azira30

My wife and I tried using the Nokia Drive for the Lumia 900 on the New Jersey Turnpike also. It kept re-routing me off the Turnpike and back onto it. I couldn't figure it out. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I tried to take the Hutchinson River parkway North out of the city. It continuously wanted me to take whatever exit was next. It somehow seems to think that I drive a tractor trailer and cannot take hov or autos only routes.
Please use plain text.