Why does Nokia Maps return such poor search results for a popular location such as Costa Coffee.
I'm in Sheffield city centre at the moment (my home city) and I know of four Costas within five minutes walking distance, but when I run Maps, wait for it to lock on to my location, then search for "Costa" or "Costa Coffee" these are the results I get:
As expected I get the same results on http://here.com
google maps (web-based and the three year old symbian mobile app) return all four Costas correctly.
I've focussed on Costa here but I'm finding that this problem applies to many well-known and popular locations.
Maps and Drive are great apps but the Search/PoI database is lacking a seriously large amount of content.
I'm surprised this was picked up by anyone, is everyone really satisfied with the results that Nokia Maps' search returns?
Anyway, as a followup here's a more comprehensive explanation of the issue I have with the search results being poor:
Search term: Costa (there are four within 600yds of me and probably twenty within ten miles)
1. Cote d'Ivoire - 3,517 miles, Cote d'Ivoire
2. Costa Coffee - 390 yds, Sheffield
3. Costa Rica - 5,854 miles, Costa Rica
4. Costa - 18.6 miles, Doncaster
8. Smeralda Coast Airport - 1,094 miles
...and so on with poor results.
So, if I put in the more accurate term "Costa Coffee" I get this:
1. Costa Coffee - 390 yds (whoopee!!)
2. Costa Coffee - 7.9 miles (what about all the closer ones?)
3. Costa Coffee - 3.5 miles (uh? Why is this one below no.2?)
...and so on with more useless results.
With all the hoo-ha about City Lens I'd have expected a search for Costa to have returned perfect results.
Here's a couple of other searches:
Search term: Lookers Alfa (where my car is today)
"No results found"
Search term: "Plusnet" (their office is in Sheffield city centre and very close by)
1. Plusnet S.C.P. - 921 miles, Barcelona
2. Planet Hair LTD - 3.0 miles, Sheffield
3. Plusnet GmbH & Co. Kg - 427 miles, Koln
4. Plunket Road - 19.6 miles, Doncaster
...and that was all!