Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Sending gps coordinates

Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@optiplex330

Although probably superseded by free application in post by tangerine there is this paid application in Ovi Store:http://store.ovi.com/content/52106

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Sage
optiplex330

Thank you. These 2 apps only mention about location which may or may not mean GPS coordinates. I needed coordiante whereas picture of my location on a map alone is of no use to me. And do they allow sending of coordiante via email?

Please use plain text.
Professor

@optiplex330

As I said in my first response the application sends your GPS co-ordinates via SMS.  It does not send a picture of your location on a map.  The information it sends is in the format:  Lat 53.???? Long -3.????? and sounds ideal for what you asked for.

It does not send via email but your first post asked for "either through SMS or email"

It is free, I suggest you try it.

History: Always Nokia since 1994 including Nokia 2140, 7110e, 6150, 6210, 6310i, 6230i, N82
Current: Nokia N8 (Anna - I have no intention of going to Belle) - and delighted with it!
Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

tangerine wrote:

A new version (v1.35) of GPS info QT has just been released and now has the feature to allow you to send your co-ordinate using SMS.  It is available free on the Ovi Store.  It is by a company called DV8 Creations.

I have downloaded it onto my N8 and it works well.  I have not installed Anna but it has only just been re-released to add sending by SMS, so I would imagine it works with Anna.

Just search for GPS info in Ovi Store.

Before the earlier version of GPSInfoQt was removed from Ovi Store others reported that it displayed incorrect coordinates from the phone's GPS. I also found the same in that displayed coordinates that were over 7 minutes in error in latitude at my location (approximately 15 nautical miles in latitude error).

The new version that has just appeared in the store still displays a similar error at my location.

This error was determined at my location by comparison with 2 other GPS receivers and comparison with the GPS coordinates as displayed from the phone's (N8) internal GPS receiver using LeGPSData (which application I have checked does display the coordinates correctly).The N8 GPS receiver data exported as NMEA sentences also confirm that the N8 GPS itself is not in error but rather that GPSInfoQt incorrectly interprets it - the N8's raw coordinates being  checked by extracting the coordinates from the sentences and also by plotting them in a marine electronic charting system on a chart known to be correct for the location and correctly projected onto the WGS84 dataum.

So, my recommendation if intending to use that application that one satisfies oneself that it is displaying the coordinates taken from the GPS accurately.

Please use plain text.
Sage
optiplex330

I have seen installed the GPS info QT.

Once signals has been acquired (which seems much faster than Maps itself), beside sending of coordinates by SMS, it allows copying the coordintes to clipboard and from the clipboard, paste it to an email or anywhere else you want. And the coordinates seem pretty accurate because I input those figure into Google Earthy and they are pretty spot on. Those are the excellent news.

By on my N8 Anna, twice after sending off the coordinate by email, my phone soft boot (not a compete shutdown and restart) automatically. And the email program sort of hang for a long time. Not sure what's causing it.

Thanks everybody for the pointer. Appreciate it.

Please use plain text.
Sage
CLTSchwarz

An alternative, it SMS's a URL with a link with the Lat/long in it (I think the URL opens in Google maps).
If you want to get that into an email then copy paste what is in the SMS.

http://store.ovi.com/content/52106?clickSource=search&pos=2
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@CLTSchwarz

As I pointed out five posts up from yours with link PhoneLocator Text is a paid for application which might put some users off.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

[ Edited ]

I have done some further checking with GPSInfoQt and it has a definite bug in its calculation of position.

As I said at my latitude it gives latitude coordinates approximately 15 nautical miles in error.

However, if I get it to sms the position to me it gives them correctly in the message and in degrees and decimal of degrees so like -xx.xxxx degrees. So this infers there is a bug in the way it is converting the decimal degrees (which is what it will get from the GPS receiver) into the degrees, minutes and seconds it gives as the position in its display.

So here my actual latitude is -40 52' 54" in latitude whereas GPSInfoQt gives it as -41 7' 6" so roughly 14.5 nautical miles in latitude in error.

When I sms the position to myself the message gives the latitude as being -40.8816 degrees which if my maths is correct is 40 52' 48" so is correct, but very different to the position it displays on the screen.

Now that is not all -41 7' 6" is -41.1183 in decimal form and perhaps by coincidence the decimal part of my actual position i.e. 0.8816 and the decimal part of the GPSInfoQt displayed position i.e. 0.1183 added together equals 0.9999, that is within the error it equals 1

So that infers the error is in the algorithm the app uses to convert from decimal dgrees to degrees, minutes and seconds and that the magnitude of the error may depend on whether the decimal part of the position is closer to o or closer to 1. It may also depend on what hemisphere one is in if the error is limited to handling negative latitudes only.

At my position longitude seems to be displayed correctly but the decimal part of my longitude here is almost 0 so any error may not show. I will check it nect week when I will be at another distant location.

There is also a small error in plotting the position on the map. The map plot, naturally, uses the decimal degree string from the receiver and while the Nokia maps on the phone are used the app manages to plot about 30 or so meters out (I have not measured it) even though the Nokia maps are very accurately laid on the WGS84 datum here. This error may, assuming accurate mapping, be greater or less at other locations.

So, all in all I would not trust this application apart from just playing with it. A pity really as it is developing to have a nice interface. It does appear to send accurate positions though by sms (on account that it does not meddle with the decimal string received from the phone's GPS receiver) and so does meet the needs of the posters wanting that.

If anyone else can provide any errors along the lines I have set out above, particulalrly if you are in the southern hemispher would be interested if you posted them or PM'ed them to me. If I have some other examples I will raise it with the developers.

Please use plain text.
Professor

@ cataholic

I think it may be worthwhile you contacting the developers anyway, with the amount of work and calculations you have been doing.  The Developer quickly added the ability to send the position by SMS when it was suggested, so it does appear that they listen to feedback.

History: Always Nokia since 1994 including Nokia 2140, 7110e, 6150, 6210, 6310i, 6230i, N82
Current: Nokia N8 (Anna - I have no intention of going to Belle) - and delighted with it!
Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

Hi Tangerine

Yes I will probably do that but was hoping some others would validate the problem. I also want to also check it as well from another distant location next week.

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

[ Edited ]

The problem I described is validated and a new version of the app will be issued.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

There are quite a few such apps on the store, among them:

* GPS Info QT

* WAYR

* TrackBySMS

* Phonelocator Text

* GeoSMSv2

Please use plain text.
Advisor