Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Sending gps coordinates

Advisor

Sending gps coordinates

Does anyone know if it is possible to send the exact location (ie the gps coordinates) of a current position via text message? I know you can ask the maps to send something via text but it only seems to send the name of your current location - I want to be able to send an exact point to navigate to. I'm just thinking you probably can't input coordinates into maps either. Anyone know? Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
anttiah

[ Edited ]

moet wrote:

Does anyone know if it is possible to send the exact location (ie the gps coordinates) of a current position via text message? I know you can ask the maps to send something via text but it only seems to send the name of your current location - I want to be able to send an exact point to navigate to. I'm just thinking you probably can't input coordinates into maps either. Anyone know? Thanks.

Send option will send selected location as a MMS or email message with a Landmarks compatible .lmx file as an attachment. Message body will contain the name of the location whereas .lmx attachment will contain WGS-84 coordinates, among some other info (including the name). As far as I know, Maps does not support sending plain SMS messages.

Help spreading the knowledge — If you find my answer useful, please mark your question as Solved by selecting Accept this solution from the Options menu. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi moet

First introduced on the N95 see here:http://i45.tinypic.com/jl3vye.jpg as well as recipient phone needing to be capable of handling .lmx file co-ordinates, it is also dependent upon network provider dropping a line in their MMSC configuration file; unfortunately something that one of the major networks in UK seems reluctant to implement!

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi,

thanks for the reply and sorry for the late reply by me; I didn't see the attachment when I was sending a text message.

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
Professor

moet

You can enter co-ordinates into maps, just put the figures in to the search box, separated by a space eg E0.1234 N51.4567

I have made these co-ordinates up just to show you the format.

Hope this helps with the second part of your post.

History: Always Nokia since 1994 including Nokia 2140, 7110e, 6150, 6210, 6310i, 6230i, N82
Current: Nokia N8 (Anna - I have no intention of going to Belle) - and delighted with it!
Please use plain text.
nokxm1

I just bought two 5800 Navigation edition. Can't send the GPS location (.lmx) between the phones. Sending pictures via MMS is fine.

- From the Sending phone, message says "unable to open landmark",after clicking on the attachment.

- From the Receiving phone, message says "The media content will not open due to high resolution or image size.

Ovimap : 3.04, SW : 40, carrier : USA T-Mobile (T-Mobile helps me to set up the MMS).

Please help. Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

nokxm1 wrote:

I just bought two 5800 Navigation edition. Can't send the GPS location (.lmx) between the phones. 

- From the Receiving phone, message says "The media content will not open due to high resolution or image size.

Ovimap : 3.04, SW : 40, carrier : USA T-Mobile (T-Mobile helps me to set up the MMS).

Hi nokxm1

Unfortunately this is a TMO issue as image size is puny, it took ages before o2 in UK added the requisite line application/vnd.nokia.landmarkcollection+xml to MMSC server configuration to allow this to work.

Please use plain text.
nokxm1

Thank you Scoobyman !

You mean ... I am going to a dead end ???

T-Mobile already told me it can't do much for the unlocked phones people purchase on the market.

Any way to go around it ?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi nokxm1

You could also send LMX by Email, although if you are using Nokia Email account repeatedly sending attachment of the same size you may well find spamming filter will lock you out.

There is no reason why both devices can't synchronize with the same OVI account through Favourites in OVI Maps application on 5800XM and favourites added or removed via http://maps.ovi.com/?p=1

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
rich

Bluetooth transfer is another alternative

Please use plain text.
nokxm1

Thank you for all your help, gentlemen.

The lmx can't be sent, but I do receive the physical address. But if I have an image or location map, it'll be very helpful.

Is there any way to save the MMS to Favourites in Ovimap ? I mean, the physical address that I receive from the "sending" phone.

By the way, I don't have Data Plan, can't access to Internet on the go...

Well, if I can't receive the lmx, only the address, I can live with this !

I email Nokia Tech Support, but again, they don't know what they are doing ...

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.

With my old N82 one could mark a landmark (or several landmarks) and send the data via bluetooth to a computer as an lmx file.

Now with an N8 and Ovi Maps 3.06 trying to share a landmark lets me send a web link to a phone-screen-sized map with the landmark. No attachment or lmx file seems to be available.

Traveling around it is helpful to be able to save then export landmarks to use in ArcGIS.

Thanks to anyone with ideas on how to transfer GPS coordinates.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

Tere is LocViewerPro, a small J2ME application that can send the current gps coordinates through SMS.

It is available from http://www.wayviewer.de/en/locviewerpro.html

open the program
select "gps data"

wait for gps fix
select "send"

You get an sms input screen that has been primed with the current coordinate data and some pre-defined default text, addressed to a default recipient. You may send it as is, or change the recipient, and/or edit the text.

- greg

Moderator's Note: This post has been edited. We have have replaced the link for its content is Non-English.

Please use plain text.
Professor

The LocViewerPro application looks quite interesting - does anyone know if it is suitable for the N8?

History: Always Nokia since 1994 including Nokia 2140, 7110e, 6150, 6210, 6310i, 6230i, N82
Current: Nokia N8 (Anna - I have no intention of going to Belle) - and delighted with it!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

tangerine wrote:

The LocViewerPro application looks quite interesting - does anyone know if it is suitable for the N8?

AFAIK N8 does not support JSR 120 for sending SMS position but I may be wrong here.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor

aspergerguy wrote:

AFAIK N8 does not support JSR 120 for sending SMS position but I may be wrong here.

"JSR120 for sending position..." that statement does not make sense to me.

JSR120 is the SMS API.

JSR179 is the GPS API.

They have nothing to do with each other, and the phone's Java implementation needs both of them for this app to function.  

It works just fine on my C6-01, which is Symbian^3 just like the N8.

But we don't need to speculate about this.  The App has a testing period of five days or so.  Just try it out.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

My apologies for any confusion here, happy to hear that it works for you but on cursory examination of APIs for C6-01 can't see JSR120 listed here:http://www.forum.nokia.com/Devices/Device_specifications/C6-01/ whereas of course JSR 179 Location API for J2ME™ 1.0.1 is included.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor

aspergerguy wrote:

... on cursory examination of APIs for C6-01 can't see JSR120 listed here:http://www.forum.nokia.com/Devices/Device_specifications/C6-01/ whereas of course JSR 179 Location API for J2ME™ 1.0.1 is included.

Well, that list is by no means exhaustive.  Today, Java has close to 400 such APIs of which the list you're pointing to mentions less than 20. Maybe these 20 are particularly new, unusual, or precious, so they get a honorable mention here.

Anyway,  SMS (JSR120) works just fine under J2ME on my c6-01. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
optiplex330

The last post was dated Mar-2011. Since then, has there been a easier way of sending GPS coordinate to other people either through SMS or email?

N8. Anna. Maps 3.06.

Please use plain text.
Professor

A new version (v1.35) of GPS info QT has just been released and now has the feature to allow you to send your co-ordinate using SMS.  It is available free on the Ovi Store.  It is by a company called DV8 Creations.

I have downloaded it onto my N8 and it works well.  I have not installed Anna but it has only just been re-released to add sending by SMS, so I would imagine it works with Anna.

Just search for GPS info in Ovi Store.

Please use plain text.