Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Size of maps and Other Downloading questions

Advisor
cai12
Accepted Solution

Size of maps and Other Downloading questions

This is for an N8 telephone

1- What is the size of all the maps? Europe, asia, america, etc.

2- Can one download lets say all of europe at one time or must it be done one country at a time?

3- I upgraded to the latest version of aOVI maps, were the previous version's maps erased?

4- In another thread someone suggested deleting the folder "cities", does one have to do this in order to save space?

5- Will OVI issue maps of the caribbean and central america?

6- How can one erase countries from the telephone in order to make space for other ones?

Thank you.

cai12

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

1. Connect the Phone to PC and open the OVI Suite ..(Hope you have the latest version..)

Click the Maps Icon.. When the connection with the server is established you will see the list of countries with the Data size..

2. You will have to download ONE country at a time..

3. The latest version of Maps (v3.06 Beta) will use New Maps data only..Older Maps Data will get / or have to be deleted first..

4. Deleting 'Cities' folder and the 'qf' file is necessary when some istallation error occurs. Once you open the Maps application in your phone the Folder / File structures get created again..

5. Do not have an answer...

6. By clicking the Phone Icon (Bottom - Left) in the OVI Suite you will see the list of Maps installed in the phone.. Select and delete to remove ..

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

cai12 wrote:

This is for an N8 telephone

1- What is the size of all the maps? Europe, asia, america, etc.

2- Can one download lets say all of europe at one time or must it be done one country at a time?

3- I upgraded to the latest version of aOVI maps, were the previous version's maps erased?

4- In another thread someone suggested deleting the folder "cities", does one have to do this in order to save space?

5- Will OVI issue maps of the caribbean and central america?

6- How can one erase countries from the telephone in order to make space for other ones?

1) Europe 3GB, Africa 1.1GB, America 2.3GB, Asia 1.1GB, Australia & Oceania 220MB2) User ovikovi has posted how to download continents directly although you need different links for latest 00.02.41.123 maps:/t5/Maps-Navigation-and-GPS/newest-Nokia-Ovi-Maps-0-1-25-114-manual-download/m-p/778870/highlight/tr... - If you want any me ask for them.

3) Upgrading from v3.04 to v3.06 deletes 00.01.25.114 series of maps

4) & 6) If using OVI Suite 3 now option to delete individual maps from device if you click on attached device icon bottom left of screen

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor
cai12

Thank you for your very thorough replies.  The forum program does not allow me to give both credit for posting the answer to my question, so sorry for the one that was left out.  I did do the white star on both. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

With reference to Caribbean and Central America a list of Nokia non-navigable countries is here:

http://www.nokia.co.uk/services-and-apps/nokia-maps-o/prices_and_coverage-o/pricing-tables-navigable...

This does not mean that no data is available, so for device with WLAN set that as access point for OVI Maps application whilst "Online" zoom out from your present location, spin the globe and zoom back down onto chosen destination. If you keep an eye on kb meter for download and traverse area in horizontal strips it will download any available mapping data.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

You are Welcome...Happy to know it helped you..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
cai12

Storage of Maps - Memory Card

Thank you for the reply, I will try it when I get home.

Another question:  Is it possible to store the maps in the memory card?  I used to be able to do this in my N95, but I do not see an option on the N8.  Also, unless it is the "cities" directory, I do not know what folder holds the maps in the mass storage section of the telephone.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: Storage of Maps - Memory Card

You can indeed store maps on memory card in N8, whilst in OVI Maps application click "Spanner icon" > Map > Memory to be used and select memory card; this creates exactly the same folder structure with map data stored in F:\CITIES as found on mass memory.

Please use plain text.