Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Suggestions for Maps/Drive

Advisor
MPDK

Suggestions for Maps/Drive

To Nokia Developers:

A major reason for me buying the Nokia Lumia 800 was the GPS that works offline right out of the box without having to buy separate apps. I use the GPS also while travelling where I don't have a data connection, sometimes not even a phone connection.

However, there are a number of functions that I hope Nokia will implement because they would significantly improve the GPS. Some of these are very simple and I hope they will be implemented soon.

- First off, please merge Nokia Maps and Drive. For the user it is confusing with two separate apps. Google Maps, Bing Maps, Simple OSM and even my old Garmin GPS that cost 90 euro in 2007 all only have one 'app' which handles both search and navigation. I will assume in the following that they have been merged.

- The map should show its scale e.g. a small bar of 1 cm and then how many meters / km it represents on the map.

- Option to fix map so up always points north.

- Ability to select destination directly on the map without having to enter its address.

- The app should remember your destination when exiting the app so you don't have to reenter it upon restarting the app. There could be a 'stop' button to clear the destination instead.

- When searching for an address to set as the destination the phone gives an error message that it's offline and then asks if I want to search the offline database. Of couse I do! It should only give the error message that the phone is offline if it doesn't find any match in the offline database.

- The Windows Phone main settings should make it possible for all apps to open Nokia Maps/Drive when clicking an address. For example, the contacts may contain addresses which open Bing Maps when clicked - but I want it to open Nokia Drive.

- It should be possible to store my own POI's which are not necessarily addresses, they could just be coordinates.

- Option to show direct distance and angle to destination. I like to navigate in nature using a normal compass and it would be most helpful if I could get this info from the map in my phone.

- Basic POI's should be searchable offline. Again, my cheap old Garmin GPS from 2007 has post offices, supermarkets, restaurants, sights, etc. without the need for a data connection.

- It is confusing there are two settings / options menus.

- The recent list of locations searched should allow for the deletion of each location individually, e.g. by pressing and holding the location much like you would a tile on the home-screen.

- The app should update itself when a new version is available and should inform when new updates are available to the offline maps stored on the phone.

- It would be really great with topology data, even if it isn't very detailed. (I realize this is a bigger request, as is the next.)

- It would also be great with satellite photo even if it is very low resolution. I often need to know if an area is suitable for camping and a low-res satellite photo would be sufficient. Combined with topology it would be fantastic.

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rhegde

Re: Suggestions for Maps/Drive

Some more suggestions

- When you set a destination in drive, you should be able to set an address which is existing in the contact list

- You should be able to view all step by step navigations. right now you are not able to see complete direction steps.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kcwallace

I love the Nokia Drive Application.  I have a Lumia 900

One small tweak would make it perfect for me.  Please add an Avoidance option.  By Avoidance, I mean to request the device to allow me to avoid Toll Roads, Freeways, Ferries, etc.  My Garmin has this option.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi all,

Thanks for your support and your feedback. It is appreciated!

I have forwarded your suggestions to the development team.

Again, thanks!

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
wiberg

Another suggestion: Add the option of using RDS-TMC information to Drive. TMC information is provided freely in many countries over the radio, so that traffic information is available when the user does not have a data connection.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
gman1868

[ Edited ]

After having used the Nokia Drive and Maps for the past two weeks every day

I HATE IT

Please provide the ability to set preferences. I DON'T CARE about the shortest route when I have to drive through 50 stop lights on slow roads. Give us the option to choose the type of roads we prefer, such as Interstate Highways. When I save 5 miles on a 100 mile trip but the trip takes 45 minutes longer because of all the traffic lights, it makes the application unuseable.

I'm going back to my Garmin until the issue is resolved.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
melliw

[ Edited ]

I'd like to see exit numbers at highway exits, not just the name of the exit. it's easier to spot a number than a text.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
melliw

when i drive using nokia maps and i get an incoming call over bluetooth, the call blocks the screen so i cannot see the navigation display anymore. the requirement is: when getting a call while navigating, show the calling screen until the call is accepted. Return to the navigation screen afterwards.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
melliw

when making a phone call while driving, i have to navigate away from maps (lumia 900). so far so good. however, when i navigate back to maps, the location has been cleared so i have to reenter the destination. pretty annoying (especially when driving). so the requirement is to always show the last trip (if any) when maps has been closed before.

Please use plain text.
FullDuplex

Thank you MPDK! I came to this forum just to voice my opinion and you couldnt have said what I wanted to say any better.

The key things that annoy me are: (currently Lumia 710 Map/Drive)
- why 2 map applications?
- why in Maps you get pick any point (on screen) to route to the that point (whats the point for such functionality in Maps?) but not in Drive?
- storage of own POI !!

If in doubt, look back at Ovi Maps for S60 (v3.04 10wk32 b04 is what I have here) which has excellent functionality and implement all the functionalities there and you'd be doing a fine job.
Please use plain text.
Azira30

[ Edited ]

My Nokia Drive on my Lumia 900 seems to think that I drive a tractor-trailer.

Every time I enter a HOV (carpool) lane or "autos only" turnpike, it immediately re-routes me to take the next exit and either directs me back to the same road (non-hov lanes) or directs me around the road completely, adding many hours to my route.

It needs to have an option to select either truck or auto and plan the route accordingly.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
keimol

[ Edited ]

My suggestions for Nokia Drive:

- Audio-only navigation mode (for motorcycle use, no need to keep the display on if I have the phone in my pocket and I am simply listening to instructions).. just blank the screen or provide a button to blank it.

- Adjustable frequency of voice guidance (also more guidance, like "GPS lost")

- When exiting the highway by a ramp, usually the road splits into exits to east or west, I'd like the voice guidance to tell me the direction where I'm supposed to go

- Maybe voice commands for Drive? (like pause/resume navigation, replay guidance, etc)

- I don't know if it's my phone but occasionally Drive gets very confused and has me going around in circles or saying things like "Drive this road for 6 kilometers" and a few seconds later "In 600 meters, turn left".

- Pre-planning routes, or importing them from Google Maps. A website for this would be fine, I don't think there's really a need to do it on a phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
AS147

Some very good suggestions on here. I have a few that will I think make it easier to enter data and interact with.

Improving this (first touch) experience will help people appreciate their first use of the application and significantly increase the chances of locating the correct location and do it quickly.

LIVE SEARCH

if you have a map loaded then it needs to present a list of destinations as you type so as soon as it has found the location the user can stop typing and just select the search result that matches.

LOCATION ENTRY

To help with the above search function drive should present several fields to help narrow down the number of locations i.e. there are many many high streets etc. You can do this (as other popular GPS applications do) by first needing to type in the town or area name. Then the road name, then the number. These three fields can be presented on the screen at the same time as there is lots of space. For the street number present the big scrolling numbers you get for all the other metro apps e.g. like when you have to choose a number for the time of day in an appointment.

SPELL CHECK

Please have some basic spell check so once again typing can be reduced. Please ensure the spell check prioritises names and geographic words like street, road, avenue, highway, freeway etc.

JUNCTIONS/INTERSECTIONS

Please include support for a junstion/intersection as a destination e.g. corner of high street and right road.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
arneice

Please merge Nokia Map with Nokia Drive on Lumia as in old version on Nokia N8.

Please use plain text.
elismas

+1 to intersection search, full address search including city etc and manually selecting destination.
I think those would be great addition simply solved in software ( no need for additional map data, etc). Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
froggydiver

Does the Lumia 800 UK version has a digital compass? Whenever I download an app that uses a compass, I get a message that my phone doesn't have one? Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
MPDK

[ Edited ]

I have just updated my phone and all the apps. Concerning Nokia Maps / Drive, even the trivial features which were requested in the above post 8 months ago (!) are still not implemented. For example, when I use the offline GPS in Nokia Drive I still have no idea of the distance on the map because there's no ruler. I'm also still unable to fix the orientation of the map which is quite confusing because it doesn't always get my direction correctly when walking which is how I mostly use it. These features will literally only take minutes for one of your software engineers to implement so it's rather disappointing that it's still not done. On the other hand, I have zero use for City Lens because it requires an internet connection to work, and  I imagine City Lens takes a vast amount of resources to develop.

Furthermore, there's a new bug. Sometimes Nokia Drive places bookmarks where I've been so I get a number of bookmarks I haven't made myself. It happens once in a while and I don't know what triggers it.

Also, Nokia, you really should pay close attention to what goes on in these forums. I suggest you take a look at how this company interacts with its users and how its community has become a tremendous asset as a result:

Moderator's Notes: This post was edited. The link was removed as it not appropriate and does not seem to be adding relevant information to the topic being discussed.

Please use plain text.
Gone_solo

Bought my Nokia 800 just before Christmas and I love the phone. The Drive app is an app with great potential but I would like to make a suggestion.

I work in Sales, on the road, therefore I don't have a daily commute so the "commute" feature is no use to me.

However I would love Traffic information while I travel and maybe even the option of taking an alternative route if the traffic ahead has gotten particularly bad, instead of my route just changing color.

This would save me sooo much time when travelling around the country to know that Drive is taking account of traffic information ahead and providing alternative options if required.

My previous phone was an Android and I had Co-Pilot live Sat nav on it and that one feature alone made the purchase price worth while.

You add this feature to Nokia drive and I'll happily pay for it.

Please use plain text.
Devlam

Some other wishes:
1. The ability to give an logical name to a favorite destination. This will make searches/sorting of favorits easier
2. Looking up adresses per country. So first give the country and then search within that country.
3, the possibility to make a favorite of a gps coordinate.
4. The possibility to display the route to a gps coordinate without going online which unfortunately is the case now.

Kind regards
Please use plain text.
Devlam

Another nice feature is a possibility to share favorites between phones. Here we have. 3 lumia820's and i would like to have certain favorites on both phones without typing the destination again
Please use plain text.