Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Surfer dude voice problem

Contributor
jimmizvon
Accepted Solution

Surfer dude voice problem

I have 701 updated to FP1 and I can't seem to select surfer dude for my voice navigation. I downloaded it via nokia suite and it is registered as "on the phone" but when I try to select it on the phone it is just not listed. I checked using file manager that it is indeed on the phone in "cities" directory. I had this problem earlier when it was not on FP1 and I solved it by reinstalling the voice package.. Now that method is not working.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Some related threads here ...and here ...

This one may be also of interest though related to a different device...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jimmizvon

As I was reading these threads I opened up my maps and magically. Surfer dude was selected.. Its funny. I don't know what to think...

Please use plain text.
Sage
Ngwangwa

The Surfer Dude Voice is not listed as English Surfer Dude anymore. I downloaded mine yesterday from Nokia Suite and it was listed as Surfer Dude English and you will find it in the S list not the E list. My maps is maps v3.08

I hope it solves your problem.

Ngwangwa - Six Million Ways To Die Choose One
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Andaluz

Same problems with MAPS 3.09....... "Surfer Dude English" can be downloaded via Nokia Suite (files are added to mobile device) but it is not possible to select "Surfer Dude" in settings/voice guidance/ as "Surfer Dude" is not listed.

I really hope there is a simple solution ...... Surfer Dude has guided me over thousand's of miles around Europe and it just would not be the same without him. Come on Nokia Sort it out DUDES !

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Andaluz

Surfer Dude is back, I simply switched off and removed the battery. Then started up againg and there he was in the selection list.

Please use plain text.
JayQ

[ Edited ]

What phone are you using? I've tried that for my Nokia C7 (and downloaded "surfer dude" via Nokia Suite) but still don't see "surfer dude" in the list of selectable voice guidance options on the C7 phone.

Any suggestions appreciated to get back my "surfer dude"... Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

No issues downloading directly to device upon 700 Belle FP2 device running Nokia Maps v3.09:

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

JayQ wrote:

What phone are you using? I've tried that for my Nokia C7 (and downloaded "surfer dude" via Nokia Suite) but still don't see "surfer dude" in the list of selectable voice guidance options on the C7 phone.

Any suggestions appreciated to get back my "surfer dude"... Thanks!

Hope you have also searched under S (Surfer Dude - English) and not only under E (English - Surfer Dude) ..

Please use plain text.
JayQ

I have...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

See if setting the Maps to ONLINE and then it appears ..

Please use plain text.
JayQ

Had a look. It was set to online. Switched it offline and then back to online, Surfer Dude still not appearing as a voice guidance option for either walking or driving... Is it just my C7 phone??? :-(

Please use plain text.
JayQ

Just to clarify a few things which will hopefully help someone help me...
- Nokia Suite (on the PC) said there were no updates when I checked.
- I tried Nokia Store (on the phone) and it updated and then indicated there was an update for Nokia Maps 2.0.
- I deleted all maps and voice guidance files from the phone.
- I installed the latest Nokia Maps update hoping that it might solve the problem.
- Sadly, it didn't I still did not see it as an available voice guidance file for either walks or driving.
- I then (via PC Suite) installed the maps and two English (Brit male & female without street names) voice guidance files and Surfer Dude.
- In Nokia Suite, they ALL show as being "on the phone".
- BUT, Surfer Dude still isn't actually to be found as an option on the phone.

Hope this helps someone help me... Thanks!
Please use plain text.