Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Using SD card for copying music and maps...

Counsellor
ssnickerssovi

Using SD card for copying music and maps...

In OVI suite I have set preferred memory to SD card BUT, when copying music (OVI music player) or mpas (OVI maps loader), items always copy to mass memory.

Can we copy to memory card ? If yes how ?

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Using SD card for copying music and maps...

Not sure about music player but for Maps you need to change the memory settings from Ovi Maps itself. When in Maps, click on the Spanner icon>Map>Memory to be used, select your sd card.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ssnickerssovi

I have try but it doesn't change anything. This setting is just for Maps to know where to find the maps.

Do you load maps on memory card ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Personally I prefer to save my map data on the mass storage as as I have had problems with saving them on memory cards in the past. I use the memory card for less critical files such as music and photos.  

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ssnickerssovi

[ Edited ]

I understand, but in OVI suite, it seems there is only ONE parameter for copying files from PC to N8, so it is for maps and music.

I can't copy my music (with OVI player) on memory card (nor my maps) and I like to copy music to SD card.

DO you copy music to SD card and how ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

When you connect your phone to PC.. thru' windows explorer Create a New Folder (with the same Name for Music Files as in the Phone memory) on the Memory Card.. Drag and drop the downloaded songs into this folder and try...

Maps Data will get stored in the Memory Card.. the Maps application only in the Phone memory..

Note : If you get the music to play correctly after following the above... DO NOT follow this for any other applications.. ( thinking that these will also run..).

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Formatting the memory card on the phone will also create the required folder structure on the memory card. Perhaps this is why Ovi SUite does not see the sd card. Try formatting the card in the phone first. Remember to backup the data in the card before doing so because all data ill be wiped during the format.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ssnickerssovi

My Memory card has the right folders (formatted in my N8 and created missing folders).

I can drag and drop but I prefer to use OVI player/Maps loader to do that !

Did you manage to copy music/maps to memory card and how ?

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

At the moment I use Ovi Suite for everything.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ssnickerssovi

[ Edited ]

@Cjilim : You have formatting you SD card in your phone et set OVI parameter "preferred memory" to memory card ?

I use last OVI Suite 2.2.1.23 and you ?

You are able to copy music and maps to memory card with Nokia OVI player and OVI music player ?

Thank you for your help.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

The answer is yes to all your questions. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ssnickerssovi

OK, so can you tell me how to copy music to memory card when using OVI music player ?

I have found for maps (there is a setting in the maps options of OVI Suite).

Thank you for your help.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I checked my settings earlier.

I have preferred memory set to memory card and I copy all the songs I want to transfer to the phone to the specified folder on my pc. After that I just connect my phone and sync music. I have also in the past just copied the files directly to the memory card and then just refresh library from the phone. Both works for me. Saying that I don't use my phone much for music so this is not something I do very often.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ssnickerssovi

Thank you. I will try your way!

Please use plain text.