Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: WHY DONT I USE NOKIA MAPS???

Counsellor
ka05com

WHY DONT I USE NOKIA MAPS???

I am puzzled about Nokia Maps, like why I cant and dont use it!? why am I considering buying Route 66 for £59? and even a TomTom Go One GB? handheld unit??? £100
hang on a minute!! I have a perfectly good N95-1?? so why dont I use Nokia Maps?? its paid for it should work!! well it requires a GSM network connection as well as GPS, which caines all your credit in no time thats with the maps downloaded! what was the point of selling a GPS enabled reciever phone with all the fancy Maps program but I cant use it like any other normal APP!!!???

How much does it cost to run? does it deppend on network?
or ammount of data used, why does it try to download the mao when its already downloaded from Nokia?

Its mad, I can get a satelite to lock in,and even try to plan routes , but it constantly crashes out, its useless , its a shame!! I paid all that money and I cant use the GPS at all :smileysad: anyone else feel the same??
N95-1 (8GB-MicroSD),LCG-Audio,Fring,Nimbuzz,Skype,Youtube,iPlayer,Garmin4-GPS.Googlemaps,SkyFire,ZoneTag,Gravity, Sennheiser CX-400-IIs,500-IIs,TR-120 Wireless,HD215'S.AudioTechnica ATX-M50's.BT B-Tube BT Speaker.
Please use plain text.
Sage
drewhy

If you mean that it requires a network connection to run and all, I agree with you.

I don't get why we still have to have internet access in order to use Nokia maps when the maps themselves are already installed on our phones.

They should just let it be an offline feature, including voice guided nav.
Please use plain text.
Sage
rabi666

This is a luxury gadget for a people don't mind to spend money for their fun ,
the problems you have mentioned , we don;t have it here and my phone works just fine with our network and thanks to Nokia'S support which makes this phone and GPS with other feature's so enjoyable ,are you sure you are using your phone's gadget in a correct way ? because we don't need network connections for GPS and the WIFI and extra , try to be nice to your high end phone then she will be nice to you .R
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil , is for good men to do nothing .
Please use plain text.
Sage
drewhy

In order to use the GPS to where it can actually track you; you need a data connection. That can be either WiFi or from your GSM connection; those cost extra.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
patc

Actually, you do NOT need to use the phone's internet connection. You can simply switch the network features off and your GPS will work fine, it'll just take a bit longer to get an initial fix.

I use my N95 8GB for navigation a lot and have *never* used the AGPS (Assisted GPS - the "assistance" part being the network access bit). The GPS works as well as the standalone bluetooth GPS receiver I used with my N80.

If you use Nokia Maps, you will of course have to download the maps you need via your PC using the PC Suite app, but once you have all the maps for the country(ies) you plan to be in, you don't need to access the network at all.

Having said that, I think Nokia maps works out pretty expensive compared to the competition. I've had Route66 for over 3 years and paid a lot less than I would have done for a 3 year license for Nokia Maps .. which would already have needed renewing.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
grayburn

04-Nov-2008 07:51 AM
patc wrote:
Actually, you do NOT need to use the phone's internet connection. You can simply switch the network features off and your GPS will work fine, it'll just take a bit longer to get an initial fix.

I use my N95 8GB for navigation a lot and have *never* used the AGPS (Assisted GPS - the "assistance" part being the network access bit). The GPS works as well as the standalone bluetooth GPS receiver I used with my N80.

If you use Nokia Maps, you will of course have to download the maps you need via your PC using the PC Suite app, but once you have all the maps for the country(ies) you plan to be in, you don't need to access the network at all.

Exactly what i was gonna type ;-)

Although i use it on my N82 with the in-built GPS and no A-GPS.
Grayburn @ www.nokiausers.net & www.dailymobile.se....come say Hello!!!
If you appreciate ANY help from a member,then show it by clicking on the Blue Star button, cheers :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
bartmenkul

[ Edited ]
In theory you dont need to use it online....

But in reality, you do.

I have searched many many times for various things, postcodes, POI, addresses.

All the results are AWFUL offline.

So bad in fact, Id say the results are generally pointless. I have never been able to get back a full 7 digit postcode while in offline mode. Ever. And as soon as I go back online, its fine.

Ah G, I didnt know that was you!

I got my username slightly wrong on signing up :smileysad:

Message Edited by bartmenkul on 04-Nov-2008 01:05 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
grayburn

04-Nov-2008 01:04 PM
bartmenkul wrote:
In theory you dont need to use it online....

But in reality, you do.

I have searched many many times for various things, postcodes, POI, addresses.

All the results are AWFUL offline.

So bad in fact, Id say the results are generally pointless. I have never been able to get back a full 7 digit postcode while in offline mode. Ever. And as soon as I go back online, its fine.

Ah G, I didnt know that was you!

I got my username slightly wrong on signing up :smileysad:

Message Edited by bartmenkul on 04-Nov-2008 01:05 PM

Whats 'appening B.

Yeah i see your point about searches, i do go online sometimes when the search does bring up a **bleep** results.
Grayburn @ www.nokiausers.net & www.dailymobile.se....come say Hello!!!
If you appreciate ANY help from a member,then show it by clicking on the Blue Star button, cheers :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ka05com

@PATC Thanks for your post, but i'm confused about how this APP charges me? so far it crashes dumping me completely out of the program, I was able to get a fix eventualy in previous tests but as soon as I ask it to guide me it wants to connect to GSM even if it is disabled to "never"? I am using fw 2.0015 as I was having trouble upgrading to fw v3 haha! i have downloaded all the uk maps, backed up everything and will do a firmware upgrade then do more bug testing oh I mean tests. but until then please help me with the billing for using MAPS?
N95-1 (8GB-MicroSD),LCG-Audio,Fring,Nimbuzz,Skype,Youtube,iPlayer,Garmin4-GPS.Googlemaps,SkyFire,ZoneTag,Gravity, Sennheiser CX-400-IIs,500-IIs,TR-120 Wireless,HD215'S.AudioTechnica ATX-M50's.BT B-Tube BT Speaker.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ka05com

Far from solved!!

N95-1 2GB SDcard Formated

fw 2.0016 cant update to fw 3.**** tried several ways
profiles set to GENERAL

Updated Map Software OK on phone after 2nd attempt
only works when no memory card but needs it :smileysad:

Updated Nokia Suite

Noticed my memory card is blocking Maps from working
although the card works fine and i have latest uk maps
on it, so after much trying I have now formatted the 2GB Micro SD

Maps loads and dumps straight out to desktop screen.
please help its really doing my head in.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ka05com

UPDATE !! IT GETS WORSE!!

Now I try "DATA MODE" as written in some threads where MAPS 2.02 is stuck in TRYING TO CONNECT TO DEVICE, but it warns me it wont be able to use MEMORY CARD which is clearly visable in PC SUITE! so what the point of that??? then it takes forever downloading .net framework 3? how big was that? over 2 hours now its making me very mad and the program runs without card but NOT with it. BUT it needs the card and it shows up fine as I have said in PC suite.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ka05com

UPDATE:

Re-installed the same firmware, managed to install MAPS 2.02
and it all now works until you need it ! i'll explain later.

SIMPLE MISATKES!:

Make sure you have the memeory card inserted before the install of MAPS 2.02!
Make sure your phones Profile is on GENERAL after restoring your backup after upgrading your firmware. Now MAPS 2.02 should load.

after all this I had to reinstal Nokia Internet Radio Youtube, Fring, AND I installed GOOGLE MOBILE MAPS with a 800kb download over GPRS and it's amazing! need to see a thread dedicated to Google Mobile Maps!

MAPS 2.02 First off Im very impressed with the new version of MAPS and all its features until you NEED certain things!
NO MORE ATMS or CASHMACHINES show up, NO MORE WIFI POINTS!!
how do I fix this?? is this the EXTRAS WE HAVE TO PAY FOR?

Now I'm in town and I'm dettermind to actualy get a fix and use this thing in town under stress of busy traffic and a busy crowd test! I got a FIX with the Red Icon showing and I looked up a shop and hit go and up pops another box saying The Licence blah blah whats going on?? it always tries to charge me at the most inconvienient time ever!
I have no idea if I have to subscribe or get billed off my network?
I have NEVER been able to figure out MAPS :/ like how is it charged? how you subscribe to it? would I need web n walk or surf for a £1 all day on O2 would this help? Its useless otherwise i'm totally perplexed with it. ROute 66 is £59 you install it , it works. or £99 TomTOm 1 Solid State, slim portable, big touch screen, so if after all this setting up time and hassle with MAPS 2 how much will it cost me?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

This topic is just drops right into my questions.

I owned the N95-8gb over 1 year, and it is the first time i used nokia map.

I First use the map by connect to internet through my Home Wifi. It works and shows me my position, the road...

And i tried to get it work offline without internet. I used Nokia map loader to load the map, and it worked. It shows my phone position without conncet to Internet, wifi or from Internet Zone of carrier ( T-Zone etc.). I do not know Why?

You can use the Route from and to, any thing but manually, and it gonna take your time a bit long. Excepting for Guide voice and Navigation, and also searching adress.

I am wonderring if we can use the navigation offline

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi knownothing

In your other post you are asking how to update from Nokia Maps v1.2 to v2.0 and you will find that the plan a route feature becomes a lot more tenuous to find in menus although instructions can be found on the forum.

Your N95 8GB has an internal GPS receiver so is not dependent on network or internet connection for this to work, although with the poorly sited GPS antenna under "#" on keypad the Assisted GPS feature which greatly speeds up positional fix does require a network albeit to download very small amounts of data.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks scoobyman..I got the idea..how it works.
Please use plain text.