Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: WP8 Nokia Maps Lumia 820 - Offline Maps Can't ...

Contributor
radagar123
Accepted Solution

WP8 Nokia Maps Lumia 820 - Offline Maps Can't Delete or Download

Hello,

I have a Nokia Lumia 820 with approximately 1GB of memory free.

I am trying to download an offline map (approximately 150 MB) but I am always getting an error stating: "Not Enough Room, you need at least 1,137 MB of free space on your phone to get this map".

I get the same message when I try to delete a previously downloaded map!

Anyone had this issue before? Any help wuld be appreciated.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Re: WP8 Nokia Maps Lumia 820 - Offline Maps Can't Delete or Download

Can't you temporarily move some media on to your PC to create a bit more free phone memory?

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Contributor
radagar123

Hi,

I have tried to remove maps also but I get the same error message. Strange!

I have 1 GB free on my phone - abou 20 GB on my SD card (although I believe maps only save to phone memory - please correct me if I'm wrong).

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Quite right. Maps can only be saved on phone memory. There must be some files, documents, photos etc you can  move to temporarily free up some room.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
radagar123

Thanks, but I can't delete an offline map to free up room - it also has the same error:

"You need at least <blah> MB to get this map"  - even though I am deleting a map (holding my finger on the map name, selecting "Delete").

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Would you consider uninstalling and reinstaling Maps? 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
radagar123

Tried that too mate, no success.

Damn, need some new maps too.

cjlim wrote:

Would you consider uninstalling and reinstaling Maps? 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Sounds like a reset unfortunately. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
radagar123

cjlim wrote:

Sounds like a reset unfortunately. 

Damn, thought that might be the case was hoping to avoid it.

Thanks for your help cjlim.

Please use plain text.
dejand

I need to reply on this, since Nokia support used this article as "the proof" that only solution is to reset the phone.

I had exactly the same issue ... tried to delete some maps in order to free some space. At this point I had around 700 MB free in internal phone memory.

When I tried to delete map of Luxembourg (50+ MB) I was getting same "Not enough room" error.

Same issue with other maps (Germany (500+MB), ...).

I purchased micro SD card and moved all my pictures there. After that I had around 1,3 GB free in internal phone memory and deleting maps was no longer an issue!!

So Nokia, please fix this issue. I am deleting maps because I need some space, not because I have lot of free space!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

This is a user to user forum. If you want to make any demands to Nokia, you should use the Nokia Support tab to the bottom left of this screen.

But before you do, this might help. You can now save map data to your phone using the Lumia Storage Check app available from betalabs.nokia.com. Just install and there is a setting within to select storage of map data on your memory card instead. 

Please use plain text.
dejand

My primary intention was to share with other users that I was able to resolve this issue without resetting the phone. And I hope it will save some time to users of this forum if they experience same issue …
On the other hand, people from Nokia support are obviously reading these messages. As I mentioned, they used link to this post as “proof” that I can only resolve the issue by resetting the phone.

And thanks for the “Lumia Storage Check” hint!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I am surprised to hear they refer to this thread. Things change so fast with technology that a solution is out of date almost as soon as it is written. 

Please use plain text.

Hi,

I managed to delete all my downloaded maps but not one by one - that's life! I've learned to keep only necessary maps downloaded and delete those not needed in the near future.

Let's hope this bug will vanish in the next wp updates!?!

Wkr, Matti

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

One year later, this bug is still around: Nokia Lumia 1520 (1028.3562.1402.0001) with HERE Maps 3.5.486.8.

In our German section, there is a guess, this relates to ‘maximum memory use’ (quota) which we all know from our Symbian days until Nokia Maps 3.01. It looks like the quota is fixed at 50%. Or stated differently: If your map data is larger than the remaining free memory, you get this error. or stated correctly: If your remaining free memory gets smaller than your existing map data, you get this error.

Therefore, my solutions are:

• to remove a very large country like Russia or China,
  • (three dots, horizontal ellipsis) Options » Delete all maps, or
  • to use a memory card and Lumia storage check beta.
    The beta version still works on my Lumia Black. Because the now included Storage Check does allow Maps on memory card, you still need that beta. And because you cannot search and find that app from the internal Windows Store, you have to enter the above link into the Internet Explorer within your Lumia – or you download and install the XAP file manually.

Consequently, to download the whole HERE world, one needs a 64 GB memory card.

Please use plain text.