Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Waiting for GPS E-72

Advisor
jawaidfaisal
Accepted Solution

Waiting for GPS E-72

[ Edited ]

When I search a location it provides me the list using the A-GPS. when I select the Drive To option to that location my E-72 just shows waiting for GPS for ages.

Please help.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
thetao

I have the same problem occasionally on my E73.  Sometimes it gets the satellite link quickly, and other times it can take 5 minutes or longer.  If you search these forums, you will find similar complaints.  I would like to think my GPS reacts faster today because I know to not hold it in such a way that my hand blocks the GPS antenna...but I don't know this for certain.  I don't use GPS enough/drive long distances enough, to have a really good grasp of the problem.  It certainly seems like a bug.

(hello Jawaid!)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@jawaidfaisal

Please could you post version of OVI Maps installed on your E72?

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Sage
Lexusfan

I once had this problem. How I solved it was enabling Wifi/Network positioning method in addition to A-GPS and Intergrated GPS, and I chose specific access point for positioning server. In Ovi Maps, I set connection to Offline, and used WAP services for Network Destination

Don't know why but after I did that, I had my position and navigation in just few seconds (on the road) or one minutes (at home)

And please update Ovi Maps to latest version (3.04)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jawaidfaisal

Following Positioning Methods selected

1)Assisted GPS

2)Integrated GPS

3)Wi-Fi/Network

4)Network Based

Positioning Server access point defined.

I think i have version 3.04 how to check the version please guide.

How to set connection to offline

And network destination

Please use plain text.
Sage
Lexusfan

Open Ovi Maps application then Options / Support / About, you will find the version number of Ovi Maps.

In Ovi Maps, go to Options / Settings / Internet, here you can set connection type and network destination.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jawaidfaisal

[ Edited ]

My maps version is 3.04 and thanks your suggestion worked.

a question why we set network destination to wap services.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Lexusfan

Actually, you can set any option available as network destination. Wap service is only my personal choice, because I don't have a 3G data plan with my network operator, and using Wifi on the road is impossible. And wap service (GPRS) is always available, so Ovi Maps can always use it.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jawaidfaisal

Thanks for your help  but i have a data plan and before wap services it was set to internet and it is taking ages to connect, is it a bug.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@ jawaidfaisal

Just wanted confirmation that you are using OVI Maps v3.04_10wk32 as here:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jawaidfaisal

Yes i am using the same version as it is.

Can you tell me why i have to set Network Destination to WAP Serives in order for it to take less time.

Why it takes long time 20 min  sometime to calculate route when network destination is set to Internet.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

jawaidfaisal wrote:

Yes i am using the same version as it is.

Can you tell me why i have to set Network Destination to WAP Serives in order for it to take less time.

Why it takes long time 20 min  sometime to calculate route when network destination is set to Internet.

Assisted GPS feature has to have network access point to reach "supl.nokia.com"

In your case it is relying upon Integrated GPS only for positional fix, hence takes this long to achieve.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jawaidfaisal

I am sorry to irritate, can you please tell me why it is not using assisted GPS as i have selected it.

I have data plan also.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

In Menu > Ctrl. panel > Settings > General > Positioning > Positioning server > Positioning server use - have you tried setting to "Always ask" so it forces you to choose as an experiment?

Please use plain text.