Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Walk problem - Bluetooth problem

Advisor

Walk problem - Bluetooth problem

I'm using Maps 3.09 on Nokia N8 Belle, equally for Drive and Walk.

It's very annoying that Walk doesn't have it's own button like Drive, and that Walk isn't build the same way as Drive (i.e. the same menu-buttons. As an example, I can't find a way to just "Walk home". I really don't understand why those two (Walk and Drive) aren't designed the same way, just differing in those specific things when used in walk or drive mode.

Further there is a huge Bluetooth-problem. When Bluetooth is configured on the device, Maps asks which Paired Device to use, with the possibililty to cancel. But as a result, independent of the choice, Bluetooth is always (automatically turned) on, unneeded battery drain as a result, and it's impossible to use Maps without having Bluetooth on.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: Walk problem - Bluetooth problem

@wquatan

Not clear whether you want to use a Bluetooth GPS receiver but it sounds as if in Menu > Settings > Application Settings > Positioning > Positioning methods - that Bluetooth GPS is enabled rightly or wrongly for you!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor

@aspergerguy

That's the point, as I wrote I use Maps 50% in drive move, the other 50% in walk.

In drive I always use an expernal bluetooth GPS, in walk always the internal GPS so no bluetooth needed.

Because of that, the bluetooth is always activated in walk mode, even if one clicks cancel upon the bluetooth popup.

I know, I could change every time the setting you mentionned, but really, that's what I don't want todo.

Clicking cancel upon the bluetooth popup should be enough to disable bluetooth. Another (less flexible) option could be separate positioning methods for drive/walk.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Silence is golden ?

Are developers reading this board ? Or should I post it elsewhere ? Where ?

It would be great to have some feedback about the Walk-remark and Bluetooth-problem

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@wquatan

The reality of the situation is that Bluetooth GPS as a positioning method ceased to be officially supported from Ovi Maps v3.03 but luckily coding was not removed and as Accenture are responsible for delivering Symbian software support until this OS phased out it certainly won't be on the roadmap for modification.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunatly the news is bad, very bad !

It would mean I could no longer be able to use my N8 in my car in combination with my Nokia Bluetooth GPS receiver.

It's not because Symbian OS is EOL for Nokia (despite they recently releases the pureview), that features should be removed. IMHO Symbian OS should never been abandoned, and many with me will NEVER go for a Windows-based smartphone. I hope Nokia is aware of that and take it into consideration.

Back to Maps, I understand the Bluetooth-problem I mentionned will never been solved, and that I should be very carefull when new versions (of Maps or Belle) are announced, as Bluetooth might no longer be useable at all in Maps.

To be honest .... all this is beyond my intellectual capacity to follow the reasoning behind the decisions. But yeah, we know there is a M$-guy responsible now at Nokia, that explains everything. When Symbian will de totally death, he'll get a big promotion at M$

Please use plain text.