Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Why aren't there any English GPS maps for Japan?

Registered Member
brookshuang

Why aren't there any English GPS maps for Japan?

I mean, why? There are GPS maps for almost every developed country, but for Japan there are none that i know of (neither Navteq nor Teleatlas, which are the two major cartography companies out there).

I've seen several Japanese GPS solutions, but they unfortunately don't have an English option. I've never seen a major company like TomTom or Garmin (among many others), offering a solution for that market.

So, what company does the cartography out there (Navteq or Teleatlas like), and why doesn't TomTom or Garmin use their data in order to develop an English GPS solution? There has to be some kind of logical explanation.

Kind Regards.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: Why aren't there any English GPS maps for Japan?

@brookshuang

You can use Japan Road Navi v2.1 with Garmin Mobile Xt with screenshot from my N8 here:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

aspergerguy wrote:

@brookshuang

You can use Japan Road Navi v2.1 with Garmin Mobile Xt with screenshot from my N8 here:

Can you provide an official link for Garmin XT for the N8 and for Japan Road Navi 2.1? I'm sure that would be much more useful to users than another random screenshot.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

[ Edited ]

psychomania wrote:

Can you provide an official link for Garmin XT for the N8 and for Japan Road Navi 2.1? 

As no doubt you were aware when posting Garmin Mobile Xt is now no longer available:http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-11034-00

Since this is the only way of getting navigation for Japan, Pakistan and Cyprus which Nokia have choosen to avoid providing for with Nokia Maps, presumably you would rather OP was left in ignorance of technical feasibility of it's use upon Symbian devices.

Whereas under your profile it says "Please do not contact me asking for assistance in a personal message (that includes bringing posts to my attention), you will not receive help from me in that way" I have always been happy to provide further guidance should user so request under such situations.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

So if its no longer available what is the point in posting about it? Technical ignorance or otherwise its pretty pointless to show something that they cannot have.

Surely a more logical response would be to tell them that its no longer available rather than giving them false hope by posting a screenshot with zero explanation?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Noticed you edited your post after I'd made mine mentioning something that's in my profile. What is the relevance of this to the user?

To me that reads as if you are willing to help people illegally obtain and modify commercial software for use on non supported devices. Surely a "sensei" of this forum would not behave in such a manor?

If that is not the case please explain the relevance and perhaps post any solutions you nay have for public viewing.
Please use plain text.
Sage
optiplex330

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
yongavery

Because there is not a Large Market in Japan for English Only drivers in Japan to Justify the costs or making English GPS. Japan is 99 percent Japanese....they speak Japanese. There are very few people that do not so it wouldnt be that profitable.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Maximilian1st

[ Edited ]

Good old LonelyPlanet does the trick, no problem, been there. You can also rent a japanese phone there, they have English of course. If you have a solid roaming plan, just use openstreetmap.org

Please use plain text.