Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

can nokia maps show which way your pointing?

Contributor
lev1athon

can nokia maps show which way your pointing?

Hey

ive recently moved over from google maps navigation and im currently struggling to find nokia maps as useful :smileysad:

When i do walking navigation to somewhere, is there any way to get the app to show me which way im pointing (and have it update in real time)?

I found this one of the most essential features on google maps and am finding nokia maps really hard to use without it

My Phone is a lumia 920 and maps version 3.1.177.8

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JackTeaching

Re: can nokia maps show which way your pointing?

If the maps app is similar to my Nokia 701 on Symbian, then you tap on the small compass symbol, then it will ask you to rotate your phone several times (to activate compass), then you'll see your map oriented based on where you point. That's how nearly all Nokia maps have been, but I can't guarantee that is on the 920's version, but give it a try.
Posted from Facebook
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

JackTeaching wrote:
then you tap on the small compass symbol, then it will ask you to rotate your phone several times (to activate compass),

This is only a feature of Nokia City Lens upon Lumia 920 where compass needs to be calibrated.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lev1athon

thanks for your replies.  So are you saying that maps CANT show you what way your pointing?

ive tried pressing the compass button as well as the green locator ui button and it never shows real time direction

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lev1athon

I find it amazing that an app which has such a major feature that is to give you walking directions between 2 points doesnt make use of the compass, especially seeing as they have another app which does!!!! however, city lens wont let you navigate between 2 points so whats the point? Nokia have got it all backwards here.

Its probably the clincher which is going to make me return my lumia for an sg3, as i use these features a lot :smileysad:

Is there any way to pass this feedback onto Nokia? If i knew a fix to this was at least on the horizon i would have something to think about

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
timkamat

Tapping the compass icon( and moving your phone in 3 axes, if asked to) should activate the compass. That is what happens in symbian version of Nokia maps.
In Love With My C6-01:Now running on Nokia Belle!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lev1athon

thanks for the suggestion. tried this but it doesnt make a difference. still no compass 😣

It would be great to hear from Nokia on this.  i have to say that for their 'official' support forums, they really dont offer much/any official support

Please use plain text.
John_Freiman

It is a shame that the maps can not orientate itself to your location/position.

This option/feature did exist with Windows Phone 7.5 with the Microsoft/Bing Maps, but is either now disabled or removed from (at least) the Nokia Windows Phone 8 devices.

truly sucks that I have to walk up to 50 feet to see what direction I'm going. :-/
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lev1athon

Well, due to the lack of reply from Nokia on this, im going to recommend people try gMaps, which is google maps for windows phone

It will map your path to your destination AND show you which way your pointing!

Please use plain text.