Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: e:/cities

Contributor
DannyRuss

e:/cities

Hi. Could I delete some folders from e:/cities folder? Those with the names of cities whose maps I don't have on my phone according to Ovi Suite. Phone is 5800 xm.
Cheers. Danny.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Presumably you are referring to city guides as none of regular mapping data is identifiable in 16 folders 0 - 9 and a - f?

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DannyRuss

Thank you for answering so promptly. I'm talking about folders in e:/cities/diskcache/clientindex. They seem to be named with shortened country names. Plus I deleted all the maps with the ovi suit and downloaded only France and UK. I was trying to free some memory on the card. Have I done anything wrong?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

You won't free up much space deleting empty folders. I have never tried doing this myself for that reason. I don't see why you will have any problems except for when you want want to download the map data for the countries you have removed the folder for. Even then, it is nothing that can't be resolved by deleting the Cities folder and running Ovi Maps to recreate the folder structure. I'll be interested to see how you get on.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DannyRuss

Exactly the point. They are not empty about 50Mb all in all. They all have the same structure, like 3 files in them:city.db city.ref city.dat. And are you saying that I could delete the whole of Cities folder. And it's just gonna be regenerated by the Maps when I run it?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

If you delete the Cities folder, running Ovi Maps the next time will recreate the directory structure. What you are trying to do may be for nothing if the next time you run Ovi Maps, the missing folders are recreated. Be interesting to see if it does happen.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

DannyRuss wrote:
Thank you for answering so promptly. I'm talking about folders in e:/cities/diskcache/clientindex. They seem to be named with shortened country names. Plus I deleted all the maps with the ovi suit and downloaded only France and UK. I was trying to free some memory on the card. Have I done anything wrong?

You are referring to standard UN 3 letter country abbreviation in ClientIndex, remember however if you delete them and re-install just one European country the ClientIndex for Europe is automatically downloaded again.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DannyRuss

Thank you very much indeed for your help. I spent hours wandering if I could do it. It's much clearer in my head now. I've just been driving around and ovi maps works well without those files. So I take it I can enjoy my 70Mb till I need a new country map.
Mind you is that normal that Ovi Maps on 5800xm is quicker offline than in online mode? I thought Internet helps.
Cheers. Daniel.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Setting it to online just means that map data and search data is download as required. Setting Ovi Maps to online does not speed up position fix but enabling Agps and Network based in Positioning Methods does. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DannyRuss

Thanks again.
Please use plain text.
Professor
reinob

If I'm not wrong, the Clientindex folder includes the index files, which allow OVI Maps to search for addresses offline. If you're always online, then no problem..

Please use plain text.