Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

gps problem on nokia n81 2gb

gps problem on nokia n81 2gb

Hi guys

i recently got a new nokia n81 2gb.

Updated the software to the latest version & installed ovi maps & google maps.

Been trying to figure out how to use them, as whenever i use either i cannot get a position fix.

i have also tried to access gps data from my options menu, dat too cannot detect my position.

Im quite sure my settings or something related is wrong, jus have no idea wat tho.

My positioning setting on the fone are set for both bluetooth gps &network based, thats the only two methods my fone shows.

As for the positioning server: access point: internet.gprs  & server address is:supl.nokia.com

Is that rite?

Can anybody help me plz, as it wud really help to get my gps to work correctly

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: gps problem on nokia n81 2gb

I know the N81 does not come with a built in GPS receiver and I presume the N81 2gb is the same. So, to use any GPS applications, you will need to invest in an external bluetooth GPS receiver like the Nokia LD-4W. There are also numerous other 3rd party options available from online retailers such as Expansys and Pixmania.

Please use plain text.

thanks so much

here i was thinking it was inbuilt..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

The LD-4W is brilliant. I bought one to use with my N96 since the problems caused by software version 30.033, and I get a better signal than the phone ever had on its own. It has been well worth the investment for me.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

What did v30.033 do to your gps? Mine is still working fine.

However, I still much prefer to use my trusted external gps receiver whenever possible for the immediate position fix and much higher levels of accuracy. 

Please use plain text.