Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

how can i use the maps in language which different...

gagaren1

how can i use the maps in language which different of phone language E72

i do use the phone in English interface. but to navigate in the Middle East is very hard because the spelling of the names of the street is so different. So better to navigate in Arabic. when i switched the phone to Arabic the maps switch too. but i wish if there is anyway to keep the phone in English and the map in Arabic ..... any ideas ??!!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

Re: how can i use the maps in language which different of phone language E72

If you are referring to the displayed names, then no - this is determined by the phone language settings, but if you are referring to voice guidance then it's as easy as pie - the Maps voice guidance language is not linked to the UI language, you can download voice files to the phone using either Map Loader or Ovi Suite, then you just need to go in Maps to Options>Tools>Settings>Navigation>Voice guidance and select Arabic.

It is also possible to download the voice files directly to the phone, though the download is likely to be several megabites so beware if you are using a chargeable connection. Simply make sure that Maps is online (Options>Tools>Go online) then select the Arabic language as I guided above and it will ask you to confirm that you want to download the voice files and then do it.

The very latest Maps version, 3.03, also includes a new feature to read out the street names, so instead of just "In 100 metres turn right", it would say "In 100 metres, turn right into High Street"; but unfortunatelty this new feature is only so far available in a small number of languages and Arabic is not yet one of those.

Please use plain text.
NinaDo

Hi, I have a question that I've been searching the answer for long time. Take this example,  I'm driving across borders that speak different languages, I have downloaded maps for both countires, but I can only understand one of their languages, is it possible that the voice I understand can also speak the streets names in the other county? I mean can one specified voice speak another language?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
scooby_guy

@NinaDo

Whilst the number of voice files with TTS = Text to speech is limited map data should be delivered in accordance with default language upon device so there should be minimal problems crossing from one country to another; as English is default I don't get cyrillic entries for Russia.

If I've helped in any way, a click upon the white star at bottom right of screen would always be appreciated.

However if my answer also solves your problem clicking Image and video hosting by TinyPicbelow it will benefit other users!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Irrespective of the Native language of the country you are Navigating within, the Voice Guidance will be in the language that you download from (Attachment 1) and select (Attachment 2)

Please use plain text.