Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: newest Nokia Ovi Maps ( 0.1.25.114 ) manual do...

Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Re: newest Nokia Ovi Maps ( 0.1.25.114 ) manual download

[ Edited ]

Hi Chan1102

When you pick chosen voice does it have cell phone icon beside it as in screenshot 

here ?

With reference to earlier query concerning safety spot data there is a link at bottom of this post 

Safety Spots

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Sage
Chan1102

Cheers Scoobyman!

I will save this file (1.0.0.27) to safetyspots and try it out!

I did google for the 1.0.0.33 u mentioned, but none was found on this forum and the google ones needed to pay to download.

As for voice, yep! I do have a icon next to ENGLISH and CANTONESE - since these were the only 2 voice I downloaded from here.

watch this space!

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
Whoever you are and whereever you are, just ask and I will try my best to help...

If u find my replies useful, pls click on WHITE STAR in GREEN Rectangle on the left to replace the '0' with a '1'
Please use plain text.
Sage

If you have the icon, follow these steps:

Menu>Maps>Spanner>Navigation>Drive Guidance.      Click on Drive Guidance and scroll until you find the voice with the phone icon against it and then choose Select.

Please use plain text.
xtradi

Can someone post a link for Indonesia maps? Thanks a lot
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Chavo

Ovikovi:

Once again, Thank you very much.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Chan1102

hi bellagio
i had already selected the icon - but it still don't work!
R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
Whoever you are and whereever you are, just ask and I will try my best to help...

If u find my replies useful, pls click on WHITE STAR in GREEN Rectangle on the left to replace the '0' with a '1'
Please use plain text.
Sage

@ovikovi:

Some posts ago i mentioned that the map-version is not displayed.... and as you explained correct, you only have to connect your phone to pc and start OVI-Suite, then the newest version on the server is registered on the phone.

The OVI-SW did even fail to gather map-information from the server, it did stick on the window "Loading Map-Infos from Server", but the 0.1.25.114 is now showing up.

Nevertheless, to whoever wants to do something with that information: I was able to scan for different files after doing that and i think i have traced it down to where the information is stored:

cities\diskcache\config.cfg was changed, the 1st, 5th, 9th and 13 byte was changed from FF to the map-version-values in this order: 00, 01, 19, 72 which are the hex-values for the map version. No other byte changed in that file.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

xtradi wrote:
Can someone post a link for Indonesia maps? Thanks a lot

Hi xtradi

Think this is the one but my apologies if I misread the index 

Indonesia

Please use plain text.
Sage
ovikovi

noplayback wrote:

@ovikovi:

Some posts ago i mentioned that the map-version is not displayed.... and as you explained correct, you only have to connect your phone to pc and start OVI-Suite, then the newest version on the server is registered on the phone.

The OVI-SW did even fail to gather map-information from the server, it did stick on the window "Loading Map-Infos from Server", but the 0.1.25.114 is now showing up.

Nevertheless, to whoever wants to do something with that information: I was able to scan for different files after doing that and i think i have traced it down to where the information is stored:

cities\diskcache\config.cfg was changed, the 1st, 5th, 9th and 13 byte was changed from FF to the map-version-values in this order: 00, 01, 19, 72 which are the hex-values for the map version. No other byte changed in that file.

Excellent work :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
fistmele

Thanks for posting all of these:smileyhappy:  Would you be able to link Ontario, Canada, please?

Please use plain text.
Sage
ovikovi

Ontario, Canada

Canada  (entire country less than 200 MB to download)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
SPACE_RANGER

If you download more than 1 Continent some of the files are duplicated with other continents. 

In you install advice to say to replace and overwrite. This doesn't matter when the files are the same size but in some instances the files are quite different in size.

For example 

58D1.CDT is 1,842,698 bytes in ASIA file but only 9,182  bytes the Europe file.

56C4.CDT is  7,636,446 bytes in Europe file but only 9,496 bytes in Africa file.

By overwriting every time you could be replacing a large file with a very much smaller file. What information are you losing from the large file and should you only replace if the file is large.

Thanks for any hints.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi SPACE_RANGER

You raise a very valid point and and found that I could erase an entire continent, which I had suspected however by the reduction in size of "Diskcache" file. In a Mac there is an option to replace all when overwriting so perhaps this result is inevitable.

Please use plain text.
Sage
ovikovi

SPACE_RANGER wrote:

For example 

58D1.CDT is 1,842,698 bytes in ASIA file but only 9,182  bytes the Europe file.

56C4.CDT is  7,636,446 bytes in Europe file but only 9,496 bytes in Africa file.

By overwriting every time you could be replacing a large file with a very much smaller file. What information are you losing from the large file and should you only replace if the file is large.

Thanks for any hints.

I'd be interested to see how Ovi Suite handles it. Anyone want to try?

I think it would do the same thing, right? (ie. overwrite one continent's CDT with another loaded after it)? It sure seems like it would since it's doing the same operation.

Whenever I've transferred stuff across, I'd first let the first few be overwritten with my consent after seeing that they were the same and then let the others be overwritten automatically, so I guess I never caught that a limited number of files have the same name with different sizes.

There's a post in here on duplicate files from 2009:

/t5/Maps-Navigation-and-GPS/Duplicate-filenames-used-in-map-data/m-p/517539

It would be interesting to analyse the differences. I'm not too keen on downloading again but I guess someone can try this and let us in on what Ovi Suite does regarding known duplicate file names in the different continents or countries.

Every country I've looked at has worked fine, though...for all features, but it's hard to know without a direct comparison between two things.

It's possible there might be some overlap. Who knows.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Chan1102

Just an update on getting my voice-guidance to work:

It works! IT WORKS!

OK, after a few days with dispaired, I thought well, if I have to pay for internet charges to get it working, so will be it!

And it worked!

Now it got me thinking, why didn't my voice-guidance work by copying the files over?

I compare the folder structure from here with the ones on my phone (downloaded from the internet) - and ah-ha!

The difference:

Whilst I copy the contents of the maps to my phone and worked.

I also copy the contents of voice files to my phone, but it didn't work.

Because, I needed to copy the contents of the voice files INCLUDING the root folder.

To prove it, I had the CANTONESE file downloaded from the internet that worked.

next I copy the main folder and its english voice files to my phone, and guess work, that worked too!

Solved, my problem - not much hair left now after pulling them out the last couple days!

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Chan1102

Does anyone know what date was the maps taken as a snapshot?

I mean, even if the maps were 2010 and created on Jan2010, but the actual streets and locations could have been drafted in July 2009 - so a new road opened in Dec2009 would not have been in the 2010 maps...

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
crashtest

[ Edited ]

Hi and many thanks for the excellent job done. I've been missing this opportunity to download maps manually without all the hash :smileytongue:of Ovi Software. Yesterday evening I tried to read this thread carefully. However,    I could not find answers to these questions:

1) Where to find which countries are inside  the European file? 352.zip

2) Why there are those Regional maps too? If I download the huge 2 gigas map of Europe, can the regional maps give some extra features or more detailed maps...?

I am planning to make a trip to St Petersburg in Russia and would like to learn the streets of that town in advance. (pretty easy  task, St Petersburg has very straightforward  city plan(road plan, straight long long streets) Thus if the zip file of Europe already has the map of  Russia, does it make any sense to install

the zip-file of Russia separately?

3a) Are there any town maps too?

3b) What will happen if the whole  European zip-file  is istalled first and then by mistake a certain country, for example Germany is installed afterwards. Or vice versa. First Germany and then the whole Europe?

4) Download speed:right now  it would take about 4 hours to download the whole Europe.zip(352.zip)!! Yesterday  evening when the Americans woke up, it would have taken

more than 12 hours. Anything that could help to download those files quicker. Mirror site?

This your pioneering work and help  here  is pretty much what should be called the true Nokia spirit. I don't know whether it's against the forum rules but certain pieces of the info of yours  in this thread could be located on your home pages  too. It might be easier to find it that way If Nokia allows links to external guide pages. 

Thank you all and good luck!

A tip for Nokia Why not rename the zip-files with names what the content is.

europ221010

Asia

Ger

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

[ Edited ]

Hi crashtest

Unfortunately OVI Maps seems to have it's unique way of storing map tiles unlike any other system with the extension .cdt = [memory card]\cities\diskcache\[0-9, a-f]\[0-9, a-f]\filename.cdt

Individual European countries range form 3521.zip - 35245.zip if I remember it correctly.

There is no intrinsic benefit in downloading Europe 352.zip if you don't require it apart from certain anomalous situations where it seemed certain islands didn't appear under the appropriate host country but were included in Europe. Please notice the use of past tense as haven't checked whether this has changed in mapping 00.01.25.114 used with OVI Maps v3.06 pre-release.

AFAIK there should be any issues with overwriting files provided within same continent as you wouldn't lose any German data by overwriting with Europe as all would be included.

It maybe one reason why map updates using OVI Suite is so appallingly slow as it manages to incorporate new data without disrupting pre-existing! It is de-compressing and writing to memory card which takes longer than downloading.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
crashtest

[ Edited ]

Hi Scoopy,

I am about to  finally understand this map thing. I found my lost file manager and the file cityindex.xml

and there is the info my map version .00.01.23.112 and folder names

folder name =ALB   ( Albania, I suppose)

folder name = AND (Andorra)

How funny that the name of this index file is cityindex, why not country index....

Furthermore I can't find those folders on my memory card using the file manager of the phone??

Does this mean that I don't have those maps installed. I guess that those folders are created when those countries are installed or how?

Sometimes I prefer to calculate how  far  it is  from London to  Hamburg or from my current location or playing with the maps in another way thus I prefer to have the whole Europe on the memory card.(and perhaps other continents too) 

That's why I asked whether it gives any further information to have  those other maps too!(regional maps, town maps if available)

I guess that Nokia engineers may have been smart enough to design the map installation in a way that  the installation of a Town map or a region map later on does not have any influence on the country maps.  I.e.

The file directory could look like this :  *

E:\maps\continents\europe\countries\Spain

E:\maps\continents\europe\cities\Madrid

E:\maps\continents\europe\regions\Catalonia

So my goal is to install first the whole Europe. (352.zip) and then if those regional or town maps give more detailed maps or more information (hotels, restaurants,etc.) I can install

those too.  But the basic question is do I need any more maps of Europe If I have installed the whole Europe first.(extracted the country files to the memory card as instructed here)

So what is the point of regional or city maps then?

If the regional maps are included in the zip file 352.zip  then there is no reason to install those again.

"AFAIK there should be any issues with overwriting files provided within same continent as you wouldn't lose any German data by overwriting with Europe as all would be included."

Ok. I shall know much more once I get the first 352.zip file. Right now  it takes more 12 hours to download. I managed to download it to wrong drive with too little space and the first download was not successful. argh...

Thank you all for good pieces of advise!

(*) Actually the map application of the phone may cache the maps of the memory card in that way. (map appl reads the "raw country files" and then they are restructured in the

phone's internal memory??. Thus it would be important to have better phone than

C5-00. The  more internal memory  the phone has the better the map appl can work....

And of course, the better processor could give better results. Any evidences how much the internal memory or processor speed is affecting the accuracy of map application.  Is N8 the king of internal memory and speed of Processor of Nokia phones?

This could also mean that older version of maps works better with certain phone than the newer ones. The newer maps may contain so much data that too slow prosessor with too low memory can't  handle the newer version of maps so well??

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

crashtest wrote:

The newer maps may contain so much data that too slow prosessor with too low memory can't  handle the newer version of maps so well?

Hi crashtest

OVI Maps v3.06 pre-release is only for a selection of recent devices for probably just this reason, whether or not extra online features can be stripped out as per v3.03 voice navigation for E71 (only S60 3rd FP1 device to get special treatment) remains to be seen.

County abbreviations follow standard international form as 

here

Please use plain text.