Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: nokia e5 gps problem

Advisor
bonbon
Accepted Solution

nokia e5 gps problem

i have nokia E5.

first sorry for my english.

1) the gps (my loction) does not seem to locate any satelite. when i open "satlite info" i just see littles gray lines go up and down but it always say "wating for gps..". i drive into open space,drive a lot...nothing.

if there any software that i can increes the power of my gps? i thnik my service provider just ruin the gps settings, so i will use thier service that cost a alot of money.

google maps,sygic navigator..nothing locate to satlite.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@bonbon

Assuming here that for some reason the Assisted GPS positioning method can't access network access point, E5 not to hand but think that Positioning methods found by Menu > Ctrl. panel > Settings > General > scroll down to Positioning > Positioning methods and only enable Integrated GPS from available options.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
tilck1987

I have the same probleme with my E5. I Can't find a sattelite. i have activated integated GPS. 

If i ativate intenet than the GPS findes my location in a second. But I want to use my integrated GPS . what do i have to do?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

It will work only when you are in an area open to sky.. You will have to wait for anything between 5 and 25 minutes after opening the Maps application to get the GPS Lock. If the area is having tall buildings / trees and / or the weather is cloudy / rainy... then the wait can be much longer... Also note that starting the application at a place that is different from the one where the application was put off the last time, will also take longer time...

Please use plain text.
Contributor

GPS doesn't seem to work on my E5 unit either. After receiving back the phone from the Nokia service the ovi maps required an update to version 3.04. After the update the Maps application is always waiting for GPS.  I have tried enabling/disabling all of the methods one by one with no success. A factory reset also didn't help.

Is this is software related issue or more of a hardware nature?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

buco55 wrote:

GPS doesn't seem to work on my E5 unit either. After receiving back the phone from the Nokia service the ovi maps required an update to version 3.04. After the update the Maps application is always waiting for GPS.  I have tried enabling/disabling all of the methods one by one with no success. 

Did you try only enabling "Integrated GPS" and going outside away from tall buildings for 20 - 30 minutes required to establish the very first positional lock?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bonbon

first thx a lot guys now my gps work perfect!!!

but my wifes device that have the same firmware and software is write "no connection" whan i open the "loction" it give a messge "waiting for gps" and 2 seconds later the phone worte "no connection". in my phone the message "waiting for gps"  wont dissapre so the phone keep seeking for gps and it work well. what is the problem i my wife phone change the setting lthat it compare to my phone setting.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Hopefully you have selected ONLY Integrated GPS under Positioning Method.. Other thing to checkk In Maps applications-->Settings (Spanner Icon)-->Internet.. set to OFFLINE..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bonbon

yes it offline. still have the problem.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bonbon

well done! i do what you sat about being 30 min in open space and now its work perfect!!!

problem 100% sloved!! thank you very much!!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

After a day of testing I have to say that I am unable to use the GPS function on my E5. I tried turning on only the integrated GPS function and leaving the phone on in an open area but with no success. I even tried enabling the A-GPS as well as the WiFi and network functions but the phone was unable to obtain a lock even after 2 hours outdoors.
To make the test fair, I also carried with me my old N86 which went through the same procedues. To my surprise, the N86 was able to obtain a GPS lock in under 20 minutes the first time which was fairly acurate while the E5 wasn't.
What I noticed during the test was that the E5 was able to identify the same satellites that the N86 managed to identify however the N86 obtained direct signal/connection from them (as indicated by a colored bar) while the E5 had empty bars from the same satellites. If the A-GPS is enabled then the E5 manages to find the current position within seconds however it is unable to get a GPS lock usable for walking/driving as the position is not updated as the location is changed. 
Any thoughts??

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

buco55 wrote:

After a day of testing I have to say that I am unable to use the GPS function on my E5. I tried turning on only the integrated GPS function and leaving the phone on in an open area but with no success. 
Any thoughts?

Within the confines of the candybar form of the E5 the size/position of the GPS antenna is inevitably compromised and reports would seem to indicate that reception is not particularly favourable upon this device. That said if it won't lock on to position whilst being kept still in an open area for 30 minutes with only "Integrated GPS" enabled, this might indicate a hardware issue involved however.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks for the guick reply and your thoughts on this problem. I was also surprised by the inability of the E5 to lock on the satelites vs. just identifying them.

I will make another test this weekend, hopefully with some positive results. Otherwise a visit to the Nokia Care Center would be inevitable.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nazrin

thank you for this information...now i can use my gps without waiting for so long...thank you again...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

enabling the A-GPS Positioning method may give a quicker Fix.. but it uses Network data and hence may cost you depending on your Data plan..

Refer Pg.No.87 of the User_Guide ...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Successkarthick

my phone all Software instale update earring
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Successkarthick wrote:
my phone all Software instale update earring

Whether your post has lost something using Google translate I know not, but doesn't make a lot of sense currently.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Professor
kurtkaufman

Maybe "erring", as in "software update error"?
Please use plain text.