Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: "Waiting for GPS" problem in my Nokia E72

Mobile Overlord
farby

[ Edited ]

shafiqaffendy wrote:

Hello friends.. This is how I configure my positioning settings.. It works like charm! Seriously! :smileyvery-happy:

My Ovi Map Ver. : v3.04 10wk32 b03

1st : i go for offline mode.. (actually im trying to use GPS without network, just to see if it really works)

2nd : Menu > Settings > General > Positioning > Positioning methods > UNCHECK Bluetooth

GPS, Assisted GPS, Wi-Fi/Network

3rd : Open Ovi Map and try if it works.. OR, open GPS Data and check satellite signal existed..

so... actually it works or not...(refer 2 statements highlighted in blue..)... and what happens to your calls when you use the offline mode ?

The correct setting is.. Use the normal profile you use.. In the Maps menu (Spanner Icon..)-->Internet-->set to OFFLINE..

These settings are for not incurring any data charges..

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Please use plain text.
shafiqaffendy

yes! it works.. these is my proof.. 

-I change it to 'offline mode' just to see if it works properly.. for sure i cant pickup any call during the offline mode. 

-When we use online mode, for sure it will become from normal GPS to A-GPS.. In online mode, the CHANCES to LOCK our position with the satellite is higher.

-What about we try to use Ovi Map in offline mode and i manage to LOCK my position with the satellite just about in 5-10 sec in offline mode.. Sometimes it takes about a minute, but it still worth it right?

Please use plain text.
dnesh88

I have just fixed the problem..all you have to do is go to control panel-app.mgr-installed apps...from here,check for the apps that relating to nokia ovi maps...make sure you only installed 1 app frm ovi maps...uninstall the other one...wait for few min...then check for your gps connection...done!

Please use plain text.
danielsiew

thanks to occipital .. my E72 Ovi Maps is Powered with your guidelines now !! 

Please use plain text.
hlooiq

hi my friends  i found the solve :   go to applications >>>and data GPS >> the Position>>  and then Waiting   5 mint  >> you will see Your Location data .

then go to the map and Waiting    and you will see youe   Location

Please use plain text.
tieum

I confirm that the GPS fix works now perfectly with the OVI maps update to version 3.4. No need to modify the positionning parameters (tested). Now I get the position in ~5 seconds, even in narrow streets. Thanks a lot !!! Note : i can't understand how the previous version could have been released..OVI maps 3.4 should be a mandatory udpate, not an optional one : my new E72 was 1 hour ago totally **bleep**, now it has become very cool, even compared to other trendy smartphones (after i managed to configure gmail push, which was an other issue).
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
NKAA

This is bull. i can't believe Nokia still has n't figured out this mess. Come on Nokia, sort this sh***t out.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
roz_n97

Exactly the same on my N97 (yes I've still got one), but removing all but the internal and assisted GPS methods allowed it to work again. However it drops out every 10 seconds or so, then finds it again, then drops out again, then......etc.

It worked perfectly with the previous version?!??! It's always like one step forward two back isn't it?

Cheers,
"ROZ"
N97 on GiffGaff
Started to grind to a halt until I hard reset it - still a lot slowly than my wife's iP4
Please use plain text.
Contributor
kryture

I bought my e72 three weeks ago n I also face similar problems. It was OK at first n more sensitive than my HTC android desire HD (and  thats double the price). After 2 weeks of heavy gps use, performance became very random. I could get locations from the middle of the jungle, deep inside my room, restaurants with only intergarated gps on. but certain open areas-takes forever trying to process a lock.

I knew something was really really wrong with phone when my friend with same model n we tried to compare the satellite status side by side and he could get a lock in 5 seconds and mine had a tough getting signal   :smileysad: . He hardly uses the gps on his phone.

Went to the support office and all the said they can do is format and hard reset the phone.

And yes the Nokia Sports traker app seem to improve the gps signal reception.

on the side, my HTC Desire HD also has its own problems... but there are apps that can clear the satellite cache to that the gps cold starts whenever there are problem. Is there anyway we can force the gps to cold start witout resetting the phone?

Please use plain text.
Professor
kurtkaufman

"...but there are apps that can clear the satellite cache to that the gps cold starts whenever there are problem. Is there anyway we can force the gps to cold start witout resetting the phone?..."

This is an interesting idea; I never thought about the phone maintaining a cache of GPS sattelite data.  This would explain the longer wait for initial lock-in. I would imagine the cache is a  text or data file (or files).  Does anyone know which file(s) might be cleared in order to force the GPS to create a new cache?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bondhutto

Thanks for the rich discussion here. I purchased my 5800 last year April, and till January this year the GPS worked fine. After that I didn't know what happened, GPS stopped working. I keep on updating my phone with latest software updates. and I don't use GPS on regular basis. so, didn't figure out exactly what killed my GPS. While my friend's 5800 was still having live GPS and apparently everything looked same as my 5800, but my GPS was still dead.

So I had no other option left than hard resetting the phone.

1. I reset my phone.

2. Checked the version, it was now ovi map 3.04.

3. checked only A-GPS, integrated GPS.

4. Now tried to lock the satellite, and bingo! it locked in around 30 seconds. But ohh, the map has been vanished. My position is being shown as a red dot in the blank screen.

5. So I again tried to upgrade the map, from ovi store.

6. My version is now v3.06 11wk10b01. It is working perfectly, inside room it is getting response from at least 3 satellites, outside, it is locking with approx. 7-9 satellites.  I am getting the full map, proper position.

Samik

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bondhutto

And how wrong was I! Thought of rechecking it by restarting the phone, and it all gone for a toss. Nothing is working anymore.

Strange thing is, when I go to Locations --> GPS Data --> Navigation .. it shows that it is receiving signal from 3-4-5-6-7 satellites over the time, but the status in the background remains "Waiting for GPS" forever.

I am back to square one. I installed everything installed on map. My ovi map version is now v3.04 10wk32 b04 MW OpenGL LM MN. Still nothing is working.

Need to hard reset again. I already lost all of my stores sms's by hard reseting it.

Samik

Please use plain text.
yuka

Where did you find version 3.4 ?

It's only 3.04 available from Ovi store .

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@yuka

Latest version of Ovi Maps for E72 is v3.04 also from here: http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/software/maps_installer_3.04_10wk32_b03_s60_3.2.sis

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
thunderchase

Solved! Thanks a lot for advice.. Just a tiny settings in positioning... :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
mtcneeti

Still long delay to connect GPS in my e72 after changed this version as well
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

GPS antenna size/position is compromised within E72, so this device pretty poor if reliant solely upon Integrated GPS positioning method unfortunately.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
AchmedTDT

Seems like Occipital's solution works for me too - THANK YOU!!!

:thumbsup:

Please use plain text.