Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: "Waiting for GPS" problem in my Nokia E72

wiseorotherwise

"Waiting for GPS" problem in my Nokia E72

Hello everyone,

I purchased my E72 last week and installed the latest Nokia Maps with free navigation support. 

I had an absolutely seamless GPS connection in the initial three to four days of usage, but now, it takes me an eternity for the GPS to connect to the satellite. I have to wait for a minimum of 5-10 minutes every time I want to use the GPS. 

I tried reinstalling the maps, but that did not help, either. 

Can anyone please give me a solution to this problem? Should I Hard Reset the phone? Is there any simpler method? 

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Sorry - not an answer, but can confirm I've seen this as well. Thought I'd imagined the fast GPS lock initially!

Mark Enderby

Please use plain text.
wiseorotherwise

*BUMP* Help please! Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Im having the same problem... no matter what my destination is my screen always freezes and says "waiting for Gps"... also have reinstalled the maps application

Please use plain text.
wiseorotherwise

Hello Everyone,

I managed to solve this problem on my own! Follow this process for seamless GPS connectivity:

1. Uninstall the latest version of Nokia Maps.

2. Hard Reset your phone.

3. Format your Memory Card.

4. Reinstall the latest Nokia Maps with your country map and voice guidance.

I am now able to get a GPS fix in less than 20 sec.

P.S. Please make sure you backup your data before you format your memory card.

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dhem

I'm not sure this is the solution of the problem - by hardware reset most probably the celular network assited gps was trigerred on; hence, the information is now, maybe, provided not by the satelites, but  by the mobile retranslators on the ground..

my phone is doing exactly the same; i installed the mcguider application, which shows the GPS status in more detail - the reason why the phone waits so much is that usually a single satellite is received, sometimes two and very rarely three. as three is minimum to select the position in 3D, no doubt long waiting times.

actually, i don't think i've ever seen more than four satellites. doing the same at htc phone, immediately about seven satellites are seen, from which five are good; the connection is done within two seconds.

altogether, i suspect a hardware problem - low sensitivity of the built in gps receiver in N72

Please use plain text.
Sage

tooRe: "Waiting for GPS" problem in my Nokia E72

I have this problem with my E72 v22.007. Takes forever to lock. I was hoping to get rid of my old USB GPS unit but I still need it.

Something is wrong with my E72, either hardware or firmware. I can try to hard reset it but have been avoiding that.

The bad fix times happen everywhere... ovi maps, sygic mobile, etc. It can sit there for 5, 10 minutes and lock no more than 1 or 2 satellites. Very weak performance.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Re: tooRe: "Waiting for GPS" problem in my Nokia E72

Want to add 2 topics to this thread:

1. Check your settings... if you disable A-GPS and/or network, then you need much more time to get a first signal.

2. I did experience with my E71, that suddenly, after months of usage, the time to first fix was much longer than at the beginning. Usually it was 5..10 min.... now suddenly it took sometimes 30min. ( i do have A-GPS and network switched off). Also the signal was lost much more often than in the beginning. This was one additional reason for me to buy an external GPS-device connected via bluetooth.

Now.... again months later, i do suddenly detect that the time to first fix with the internal device is down again to appr. 5 min......and i have no idea what was changed. No new software installed, no change in settings, no hard reset, no change of cover....maybe one of the satellites over my area had a problem ;-)

So.... maybe your device will become faster again after a while.... or maybe you want to think about an external device. Much more faster, much more precise... but you have to charge and carry 2 devices which is a little bit annoying......

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Brenzef

I have no problems at all using the A-GPS.

Could it be a hardware faillure?

Please use plain text.
Sage

I use AGPS but it doesn't make a difference. Lock times are pathetic, takes forever. I remember getting a lock once and even then it kept losing signal.

Not sure if this is hardware, firmware or something related to stuff I have installed on the E72 (I did install tons of apps).

For now I have to carry my old GPS device (Holux) around with me and pair it with the 72, it is a pity.

I might try a hard reset to fully clean the 72 but it will take a lot of time and I'm not all that sure that it will make a difference.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

hard resets after firmware updates often make a difference.

Oh yeah, Ovi Maps 3.04 is available from beta labs, and it gets better signals! I mean In 3.03 I get a signal in about 5min on Integrated GPS alone. But I cant get a fix inside my apartment. Now on 3.04, with A-GPS ant network based positioning BOTH DISABLED, I get a fix inside my apartment! Cool.

its still beta though. I had a problem during a test run a earlier wherein it cant give a route when I'm in the garage, but when I am on the road, it gets me a route quickly. 

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
RaghuveerM

My E72 was working fine with GPS, as soon as i installed OVI maps, GPS is not working.  It dosent have basic option of From and TO location setting.  It dosent have option to delete the installed OVI map from mobile too.

Please use plain text.
Sage
ovikovi

RaghuveerM wrote:

It dosent have basic option of From and TO location setting.  It dosent have option to delete the installed OVI map from mobile too.

Nokia Map Loader can delete all maps for you if you want. There's a dedicated button there that will delete all maps and voices from your storage card. If you have lots of maps or simply big ones, it will take some time to delete every little file from your phone's card (especially since phones often make for very slow card readers).

Or you can simply choose to do it manually by deleting the whole Cities folder (and the QF file on the root of your memory card). The folder/file structure will be re-generated next time Nokia Maps runs, but no maps will be in there. You can download them again if you wish.

Poor satellite lock-on times are often a sign of poor GPS hardware design. Some units do it better than others. Just like some units have better call reception than others. It looks like the E72 suffers from poor design and might need network assistance.

You might also like to consider pairing a bluetooth GPS unit to the phone. These are nearly always a lot better.

Please use plain text.
delicewatt

Hello everybody,

I had exactly same GPS problem right after upgrading to latest versions (Ovi Maps 3.03 and firware 022.007).

What worked for me was,

Go to:

Control Panel - Settings - General - Positioning - Positioning Server

Here set your default internet connection setting (provided by your operator) as positioning server.

After applying this setting, Gps locked in a couple of seconds.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I now alos have this issue. GPS worked fine with almost instant lock before last week. Last week while using GPS, phone locked up solid (had to remove the battery). Since then, it takes ages to lock.

I will try a few things to see if I can get it back to life. All very irritating, and a great waste of my time.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
empas

Hello Everbody,

Good news for you are here.  You have serious problems with your E72' s GPS. I had the same problem with you.  Whenever I tried to use GPS, I had problems. But today problem is solved. I thought that why Nokia manufatures a busines telephone , with a GPS whis has problems. So I thought that we make the mistake.  First of all you have to know that GPS is not directly working using GSM or wifi. It is getting the coordinates from three or four sattelite.

I noticed that we have been doing the same mistake every time. We opened the GPS and wanted to see the coordinates.

If you do these things, you  will see your GPS is working properly too.

Please do not care my  words I had used, because my translation,  menu items may be different, you have to choose the described menu itemson your E72's menu.

1) menu - applications - gps - gps data - traveling distance - options - start

2) Wait a few second , and push left  button on the touch pad; if you make one more push to left button, you will see your compass, that you couldn't see ever.

I made this practise at an open and wide area, because explanations at this discussion, forced me to do this. But result is the same at my home, a perfect GPS.

Check it when you are driving. You will see E72 is a perfect mobile. 

I recommend to Nokia support service this;  if  there is a serious problem, which so many people sufferered from,they have to put a solution note under discussions.  It is a very simple problem, but users are working days and days to solve the problem

Regards

Please use plain text.

I have the same problem with Nokia 6720 c, and changing positioning server didn't help, actually I disabled it, because I didn't want to spend all the money on internet traffic, I want to use gps maps for free!

Is there any other option please?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

This solves the problems with the GPS on E72

go to Control Panel->Settings->General->Positioning->Positioning methods and you UNCHECK Bluetooth GPS and Wi-Fi/Network while the rest options are checked.

here you go

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
decebalc

occipital, You did it! I've just tried your suggestion (uncheck "network based" and have only "assisted gps" & integrated gps" as checked options) and my Nokia E72 GPS locked imediately!!! .. I almost didn't believe my eyes! .. and this happened indoor!!!

God bless You! .. I was just about to format my mem. card according to one of the above sugestions, but I was a bit more patience reading the whole thread

Many thanks!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Gerrit01

You guys are all lucky.

All my phone says is "NO CONNECTION", nevermind which settings I check or uncheck.

Please use plain text.