Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

6230i says "insert SIM card"

Advisor
topcat25

6230i says "insert SIM card"

Every now and then (no specific pattern) my 6230i displays "insert SIM card". Prior to the message the phone is working fine. Two ways to resolve the message: switch phone off, then back on, or do as it says (remove clean & replace SIM card). In all other respects the handset works great, it's just an annoyance having to switch off / on to clear the error. Phone has latest s/w. Any ideas? TIA.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Re: 6230i says "insert SIM card"

take it in to a nokia engineer, let him inspect the phones hardware.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi

It might be a handset fault or the usim might have gone faulty .... if it happens very very often... say within 10 minutes of it being ok.. I would sugget visit a phone shop or if if u know somebody with a handset from the same network and try using ur usim in that handset.. If it gives u the same or some other error ... it will confirm the simcard is faulty and u need to call up the network oprator's cust service for a replacement sim...

Bobby
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

as far as i know, the 6230i cannot use a usim, only a regular sim.

the original advice still stands, let a nokia engineer look at it and they will tell you what is wrong. you wont be charged - it will be done under warranty
Please use plain text.
Advisor
topcat25

Thanks.It's difficult to say just how often it happens, not very often, but when it does it's annoying. I'll drop in to a local Nokia store, and hope they can find the problem.
Please use plain text.

Hi guys,
I have seen issue with my new E65, first the phone will not turn on and I took it to nokia center they said it's LCD issue and changed it.

Then it started the most wired thing, which is every now and again, especially when going to the menu iget 'Insert Sim card' and the signal will disappear.
If i turn phone off and then on, it will go into offline mode, it will take up 6-7 tries before it load as expected and then all of a sudden it will say 'sim registration failed' -insert sim card'

I turn off phone, remove battery and on again - it will prompt me for my pin code, after entering my pin another message dialog will appear saying 'General: system error.

The same sim works ok on another nokia 6820 without error.
So I have sent it back to nokia center and waiting - generally, there seem to be a wild compliants about the lastest nokia phones. I have had my 6820 for 41/2 years now and have not visited any nokia center with it, whilst I have being to them three times alread with my e65.

Lastly, I noticed that since this error started, my singnal drops very offten which will result in the insert sim card error, they have updated my firmware still no joy, and note that this is an unlocked Vodafone branded phone.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi,
My girlfriend is having the same problem with her new E65
it will eiter give the sim registration failiure and than go into offline mode.
if you want to change it to general mode it will not go.
You have to take the batterie out than the sim re insert the sim than it might go
i think it might also e a problem with the sim insert part that it is not tight enough and the sim does not make a good contact with the phone
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I had the same problem. I fixed it by putting some cardboard behind the sim card.. so that the sim cant move. I'm using an old sim, but I've been told that the new ones are abit thicker so they fit better. I hope this helps  !
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Good description of problem.

I've had my E65 2+ years now and it has started having this problem of late and it got so bad today SIM was never detected.

Inserting some folded paper behind sim does seem to have worked.

Please use plain text.