Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 mini locked up on boot screen

Counsellor

N97 mini locked up on boot screen

my N97 mini won't start up. It gets to the logo on the white screen and goes no further.

Is there any way to reset??

I tried removing the battery.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I found the four finger reset and it worked but it wiped out everything, like a new phone. I was lucky that I had done a backup with the OVI Suite just a few days ago. Just so people know, the backup took so long I thought the program was hung and almost stopped it. It took well over an hour but it finally did finish. When I did the restore it took even longer. Be patient.

All the photos I took today were lost (I thought) but I was able to recover them from a folder on the mass memory. It restored all my contacts  including the images. I'm impressed by Nokia's backup and restore utility. It works.

So I'm back in business for now... I find it disturbing that this appears to be not only a common problem but a recurring one as well.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I spoke too soon... the music player is hosed. It can't find any of the music on my memory card. I changed the card to a different one and it locked up tryingto search that card. The two apps I paid for had to be reinstalled and don't seem to work right. AccuWeather disapeared so I downloaded it from OVI and it worked once and then stopped working at all, doesn't even display the interface.

and a few other problems.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hey

my 5530 does the same any body got any ideas

Help

Please use plain text.
Professor
XploitMachine

1. Turn OFF

2. Take out the memory card

3. Turn ON

4. Its going to homescreen rite?

:smileyhappy:

I'm an Xploit - Please feel free to post your issues, feedbacks in this discussion forum and I'll do my level best to help, otherwise my knowledged friends whom are around willing to help you. Thank you !
Please use plain text.
Sage
bitflung

[ Edited ]

XploitMachine wrote:

1. Turn OFF

2. Take out the memory card

3. Turn ON

4. Its going to homescreen rite?

:smileyhappy:

why does everyone assume a dam memory card is at fault when these things happen?  with the N97 and even N97 mini, there is enough onboard storage to make removable media rather obsolete.

to the O.P. - i also have this issue, FREQUENTLY, with my N97-NAM (original, not mini, same issue).  I used to hard reset it when this happened, but i find that a hard reset only fixes it for a short while.  online i tend to see basically three perspectives from potentially helpful people:

1.  remove the memory card (personally, i assume you don't even have one.  i don't)
2.  uninstall some application you recently installed (assuming you could... for me, the issue never seems to originate soon after installing any apps, but rather the phone freaks out during normal use causing me to restart it and find that it wont boot up.  so i call this advice useless as well). 
3.  do a hard reset (for me, this sucks.  i dont run windows so i dont have a usable backup/restore option.  on top of that i find the problem persists anyway.  doing a restore, if you have the option, is likely to restore the soon-to-cause-a-complete-failure system state anyways).

Some time ago i read a few posts about the white screen of death (wsod, that's the name people have given to your issue) and how it appeared to relate to the USB port and the way the phone boots up in order to a) be a phone; b) charge; c) be a mass storage device; etc.

the theory posited was that the firmware would fail to boot because some state flags were not being reset, but that you could trick the phone into booting by following a simple process like this:

1. turn off the phone (remove battery and reinsert, if needed to turn it off)
2. plug in usb charger, the screen will turn on (continue to next step before Nokia logo appears)
3.  unplug usb charger, the screen will turn off (continue to next step before the screen actually turns off)
4.  just before the screen turns off, press the power button to start the phone normally 

at the time i thought the idea made sense - you're sort of forcing a race condition to get the phone to escape an otherwise failed state.  i tried it, it didnt work for me, so i ignored it after that.
recently i again read one of these posts, as i was frustrated with yet another wsod.  this time it worked.  the above 4 steps are my version of the process, the one that works for me.  in other forums the steps are described slightly differently, but the essence is that you want to get the phone to be in the process of booting in one mode and interrupt it with a request to boot in the normal phone mode.
others have reported that their phones will boot up and the issue does not recur (at least not immediately).  sadly i cannot verify this - for me the phone will not boot normally again until i do a hard reset, and even then if i don't format the mass storage it will revert to this failure state again often within 1 day of my hard reset.
 good luck,
-bit 

Message Edited by bitflung on 19-Jan-2010 04:42 PM
---
N95-1 ---> N97-NAM ---> N900 ---> E7-00 + N900 (I use them both)
(N95 was pretty good, N97 had potential but utterly failed to deliver, N900 is absurdly good. Those of you wondering, "should I try N900/Maemo/MeeGo"? The answer is a resounding YES)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Flash2Bang

I've had my N97 mini on Vodafone UK and all was OK for a couple of months.  Then I was just copying some songs onto the phone and it hung up.  Waited for 30 mins for it to sort itself out but then turned it off.  When I restarted, the phone froze on the white screen with the words Nokia (it never gets to the handshake).  Finally found the only fix was a hard reset which was very annoying as it lost all of my messages stored on the mass memory, despite restoring the phone from a backup made the previous day.  This hang up on restart is now regularly happening and I'm getting pretty fed-up with it.  Having done some further research, this problem seems to be common with the N97 mini and the N97 with the v2 firmware (same as v1 N97 mini I believe).  So this is a firmware issue and Nokia need to fix it quick.  I got an N95 as soon as they came out and, despite the initial slowness and poor battery life, the phone worked and Nokia eventually fixed these issues with a software update after 7 months.  With the N97 mini we can't wait 7 months; the phone is effectively useless now.  Nokia you must release a firmware update that fixes this ASAP.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bitflung:

THANX A LOT!!!!

ur tip works GREAT!!!!!

u've rescued my phone & my day!

but i hope, i will never need do it again ;-)

bye bro,

Niko

Message Edited by DonnaNikola on 03-Feb-2010 11:00 AM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
stevy1

That is it !!! Thanks a lot!

Important is to use the PC-USB cable and not the recharging one!

Well this worked for me - thanks for saving my day. The hard reboot is nice once a day but not twice.

Unbelievable what you pay good money for these days. Sorry, but the N97 series - Nokias flag ship - is not the quality I remember... what a shame - lets get Apple shares!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
900ss

Thanks "bitflung"

My N97 locked up, on the "wsod" , after the battery came off, i have the phone on a magnet, an have metalstrips, glued to the batery, works great, as long as one holds the phone on the back, when i grab it.

However, not today, so it locked = GRRRR "WSOD"

And, no I dont have a memorcard, so that was`nt it.

But, the in and out, with the usb charger worked

so Thanks a million :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
bitflung

you're welcome! :smileyhappy:

glad to see that this post is still helpful for ppl.  i wonder if there is a way to make it stand out more or become more visible to users that might suffer this symptom.

by the way, i sold my N97 and now have an N900.  there is just no comparison, the N900 is a fantastic device.  solidly built, fast, clean, very impressive.  since it doesn't run Symbian i have of course lost all the apps i've bought over the years (it's amazing to look back and realize that i had over $200 worth of symbian apps in my collection).  but i tell you, it's worth it.

i've had the n900 since mid february and i haven't had a single reason to dislike it.  the phone has not frozen (never required pulling the battery), and of course i haven't had to do a single hard reset (not even sure how to do one on this device, never needed to look it up).  everything is fast and responsive, mail works great and is full html with proper kinetic scrolling... etc etc etc.  basically the n900 is everything i had hoped for in the n97, and goes beyond those hopes in some very meaningful places (i never thought i'd be installing google's chromium web browser, but it runs pretty well - and full flash 9.4 support with 10.1 coming this summer too!)

-bit

---
N95-1 ---> N97-NAM ---> N900 ---> E7-00 + N900 (I use them both)
(N95 was pretty good, N97 had potential but utterly failed to deliver, N900 is absurdly good. Those of you wondering, "should I try N900/Maemo/MeeGo"? The answer is a resounding YES)
Please use plain text.
Contributor

hey bit,

nice to read you again.

well, a few days after my first post, i've changed my n97 to a new one with the newest software and now it runs perfect. but what you say about n900 sounds really good. may be this will be my next one ;-)

have a nice time and greeetz2u

Niko

Please use plain text.