Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Not Charging

Advisor

Not Charging

This is a common problem! Well done Nokia! Very clever. It looks like after a year you have to get a new phone or it will prevent you from using it. I am charging my BL-5C batteries in a friend's broken 6600 to use in my 6230. It won't accept charge cords, like a spoilt child on hunger strike - "I want to die!" Charge block hardware replacement doesn't work. The Nokia shop recommends CarphoneWarehouse repair: £35. I bet it's just a simple firmware update to tell the phone it's not a year old. There must be a way to do this, as in SIM unlocking it. Come on someone....?? For a fiver? It sounds like the whole series using those batteries has a similar problem...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

Re: Not Charging

this is a bit odd, you are saying that cpw told you that the phone needs repairing, but you feel that a sw upgrade will tell the phone it is not a year old? this the software wont tell the phone it is younger than 12 months, when you look at the software on the phone it has the date that the software was released. it would be unlikely that a sw update will solve your problem, i dont suppose you have a spare nokia charger you can use? I have a USB charger here i got from asda, it charges a lot of older phones, but it wont charge my new nokia phone, i get the same error message 'not charging'. if i use my nokia charger tho, no problems.

now its possible the cpw you went to is not a Nokia service point, might be a good idea to get a nokia engineer to look at it. of course as its over 12 months then you will be charged for repair but at least they will be able to do the right thing
Please use plain text.
Advisor

My first port of call was an official Nokia shop with no engineering there. They told me to go 'next door' to the CPW to get the phone fixed. What has changed is that a week ago they told me £35 charge. Now it's £40!

The reason I suggest the date fix is just logic. I don't design phones, but I know the firmware (dial *#0000# to find out) changes a lot of things with Nokia phones. You plug a power cord into your handset and it should charge. If not, it's probably a marketing tool to get people to buy a new one. Easy to set a manufacturing date to not allow charging past the year-old parameter. Nokia themselves said "you need to update your software. Go next door." That's evil.

My 6230 firmware: (dial *#0000#) is:

V 03.15 V 03.20 or V 04.00 and I bet it'll charge!
17-03-04
RH-12
GSM P1.1
(c) NMP

anyone else?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

i would suspect that you are barking up the wrong tree. firmware itself wouldnt time out after a year to stop you from charging. if it did then there would be legions of unhappy 6230 owners here complaining. as it stands its just you maintaining its a software issue.

if it is a software issue, then thats just a sick joke aimed only at you.

basically, you need to try another gen nokia charger on the phone. if you dont get the message, then you know its the other charger that needs replacing. would be good if you could try another battery to see if that is the cause.

but at the end of the day, if the phone does the same thing with different chargers/batteries doesnt help then the phone will need servicing.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

That's a good answer. In truth I've tried ACP-7X, 8X and 12X chargers which give the same result, but do charge the battery in a 6600 phone just fine. I've have the charging block hardware at the bottom of the phone changed to no avail. The Nokia people told me with no doubt whatsoever that I needed to upgrade the software! That does sound unbelievable to me, when that phone just used to charge fine!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have a similar problem (tho my phone is 6810). Two observations :
1. On a recent trip to the US I found my normal charger would not work - I get the message you refer to of "Battery not charging" and the stop sign.
2. I have just bought a USB charger to charge the phone from my laptop here in the UK .. and get the same message.

It occurs to me it may be a problem with sensitivity of some Nokia models to frequency (or voltage)
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

People please help me. My cellphone it doesn't charges, its says not chargong when i plug it. only once a week it does charge. please help me. im getting mad. waitin to hear from you. ill be grateful. thank you
Please use plain text.
Professor
megadodo

When a phone reports "not charging" its either a faulty phone, charger or battery its not usually a firmware issue. A "tune" at a level 3 service centre may fix it but it normally dosen't!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Can I refresh the topic?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Nothing wrong with the charger. Nothing wrong with the batteries. I swap my two batteries between a 6600 (broken screen) and the 6230. The 6600 does the charging, but it's a pain!

The thing is, the power MUST be getting to the 6230 for it to say "NOT CHARGING!" It's not plugging the cord in. It's when the power is switched on that the message comes up on the screen. That's rude! Voltage supplied, refuses to charge.

Clever design??
Please use plain text.
Professor
megadodo

"Not charging" means the phone can see the charger, so al we can say is that its not the fuse in the phone. If its not a faulty battery or an invalid charger then it has to be a faulty phone. Several conditions are measured during charging and 1 or more of those is "out of spec", it must go to a level 3 repair centre to be repaired.
Please use plain text.

I too have a similar issue om my nokia 6230. One fine day I got the message "not charging-stop."
Tried different charger, different battery but no use.
Presently I am charging my battery in Nokia 1110 and using it in 6230.
Nokia says, to send it to their service center for repair.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

[ Edited ]
Read everyones problem and possible solutions.

My 6230 firmware is
V 03.15
17-03-04
RH-12
GSM P1.1
(C) NMP

The only difference in the problem (not charging) is that it doesnot show any msg once i plug in the charger. Mind it.. no message at all. it is just dumb.

I inserted another bl-5c battery, but that too didnt work out, i tried a different charger.. same problem. my battery inserted into another nokia compatible phone, works very fine, even my original charger works very fine with other compatible phones.

what to do.
Now i am using a friend's 1110 to charge my bl-5c. it sucks.

PLEASE HELP.
One of the persons here mentioned something about the firmware will help.. but how.???

*mail address removed by moderator*
thanks

Message Edited by romanov on 10-Oct-2008 01:43 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
viper

probably a fault in charging port,

take it to a Nokia repair center. if phone is out of warranty there maybe a charge for the repair.
Blackberry Bold
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi,
my 6230 firmware is also the same as u mentioned
V 03.15
17-03-04
RH-12
GSM P1.1
(C) NMP

it is now almost 4 years now, everything was fine. but few days back suddenly the phone seems not to recognise the charger when plugged in.

Have checked by changing charger, changing battery (bl-5c). My battery and charger works perfectly fine with other compatible phones.

Please help.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Just had this problem with my N96.

I turned the phone off, plugged the charger in, (phone beeps) then turned the phone back on to find it's finally charging! =).

I'm now not gonna touch it for a couple hours lol

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Many thanks for your help . My '6230i ' failed to charge ( purchased in 2005 ). Just 3 dashs of the normal full column of moving dashes appeared when the charger was connected . They just stuck there,  stationary . All combinations of switching on /plugging and unplugging/discharging/ attempted recharging failed to cure .

Found this site  by Googling .

So switched on, dialed *#0000# , plugged in the charger ..............and all works as normal , we are charging again .  

What joy !

Thanks again - Jim

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
arshadn

if it mentions not charging, this is because there is less power going to the phone. On some new phone if you try using a thin pin adapter and charging the new nokia's like the n96, e71, it will say 'not charging'. However if it mentions charging and the phone is not charging like how it is on my one then there is something to do with the resisters on the motherboard.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
shimritzimm

I just changed the charger and it is charging well again.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ians12

That's well weird!  I have 2 old Nokia 3330s that exihibit the "Not Charging Stop"  message. Upon switching one of them on and keying *#0000# straight away after start up screen etc plug charger in and its now OK!

Random problem with software me thinks!

Please use plain text.