Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: 2G & 3G network questions - 620

Counsellor
tullyhubbert

2G & 3G network questions - 620

Hi there, so many urban myths doing the rounds I don't know what to believe, I'd appreciate if someone could confirm what I believe to be true in 1, 2 & 3 and answer point 4.

1/ 2G & 3G are completely separate systems, 3G is not a go faster bolt on to 2G.

2/ Its possible to use voice and do data transfers on the 2G network alone, albeit slower.

3/ When I set my 620 to 2G then voice and all data transfers are done on the 2G network only and it doesn't automaticaly do the data transfers on 3G if available.

4/ I lve in an area where 3G is rarely available, when set for 3G does my phone constantly hunt for 3G and does this have a substantial effect on battery use? My local friends keep their phones on 2G when at home as they claim it 'eats' the battery otherways?

Something that I find strange also, the 620 has to be powered on to charge. I charge overnight and for example if I start the charge at midnight, it seems the phone charges in around an hour and then stops when maximum capacity is reached. However between this time and 7am when I get up the phone has consumed around 3-7% of battery capacity. Is this due to question 4, hunting for 3G network or perhaps normal? Seems to be impossible to charge overnight and have a fully charged phone in the morning.

Other than the things that puzzle me I'm really enjoying my first smart phone :smileyhappy:

TIA.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

1, 2, and 3 - correct, yes is the answer.

4: yes keeping 3G on means the phone will hunt for the signal so best to keep it on 2G if u know you are in an area of constant bad reception.

i would say that the decreased battery charge be due to the phone expending extra eneregy to hunt for the signal, but also could be becuase you have left applications running in the background, or kept Location setting to On, or kept background tasks running for certain apps. i would check these in the phone Settings to minimise your power consumption. also check that you are fully up to date with all the latest Nokia system apps in the Store.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tullyhubbert

i would say that the decreased battery charge be due to the phone expending extra eneregy to hunt for the signal, but also could be becuase you have left applications running in the background, or kept Location setting to On, or kept background tasks running for certain apps. i would check these in the phone Settings to minimise your power consumption. also check that you are fully up to date with all the latest Nokia system apps in the Store.

Thanks Adrian.

Nice to get those 1st 3 points cleared up.

I only have the phone 2 weeks and its my first smart phone. I've read up on the background applications and don't have any such as location or drive running in the background and I've blocked all the background apps were possible. Strangely enough I updated all the system apps on Sunday evening and on Monday the phone was less than 20% by 4pm, however that day the telecoms sytems here were all over the place due to the bad weather (I have a GSM toughbook that my work comes down through and I couldn't get logged on all day) Previous to that I'd got 24 hours use each day with a little to spare, and as its my first phone I'm fiddling quite a bit.

I have been keeping the wifi and 3G turned on permanently, think I'll turn the wifi off (When not needed) and switch to 2G for a while to see what the difference is.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Sounds to me like the 3G setting could be draining your battery. Leaving wifi on all the time does use some battery but not that much. I leave mine on all the time. Another thing to check are the sync frequencies for all your emails and social apps. 

Also note that new batteries require a dozen or so charge cycles before before obtaining optimum charge levels. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tullyhubbert

cjlim wrote:

Another thing to check are the sync frequencies for all your emails and social apps. 

The longest sync setting for my mail is 2hrs (BT POP3 and Yahoo web) or manual. I can sync the Hotmail account Daily.

In my people hub I have Microsoft (Hotmail) Nokia and Facebook accounts. Can't figure how often they sync or anyway to adjust it. Any ideas how to do that?

Why do I need the Nokia account in the people hub, no doubt I set it up and can't remember but I'm not sure what benefit I get from it?

TIA

PS: Battery app, although this is my first smart phone I had the use of an Android phone for a couple of weeks 18 months ago. There was a battery app on it which told you how much battery was used by wifi, bluetooth, screen etc etc, I've tried a couple of apps on my 620 but had no success in finding similiar. Can anyone recommend a app that'll do that?

Please use plain text.