Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

928 screen unrespsonsive

Registered Member
Lancepr

928 screen unrespsonsive

On my 928 when I get out in the heat and humdity my screen stops responding to touch controls. I have have to reboot the phone and then I will last for a few minutes, but if I stay inside the screen seems to keep working.

Anyone else having a problem like, going to exchange my phone at Verizon tomorrow but just seeing if anyone else if having a similar problem.

Registered Member
JohnGalt

Re: 928 screen unrespsonsive

I'm getting similar issues.

the screen won't respond to touch but will respond to the buttons including the camera button and he screen displays fine and even takes a picture.

The buttons on the screen will also not work.

Reboot will fix it, nothing else will.

in my case it always happens after charging, and does it with USB charging and with the wireless charging plate
Advisor
felickz

[ Edited ]

Same issue here... i cannot pinpoint the exact cause of the freeze.. both screen and capacitive buttons unresponsive... but camera button still works and i can still take pictures.

Verizon forums discussion

Microsoft discussion -copying my reply from there:

"There is definitely an issue here. I thought maybe it was facebook updating photos on my lock screen because the lock screen is always where it gets stuck, but i turned that feature off last week and updated to facebook beta.... still lock up for me randomly.

It has probably happened to me 25 times now in the past 2 weeks i have owned the phone... 

Same symptoms... all hard buttons work: Volumne, power, camera (can even take pics)... but capacative buttons and screen are unresponsive.

TODAY was the first time i could not get the issue to go away, after holding power + volume down to reset, it would still be frozen.  After about 10 times doing that i finally held the power button without holding volume down.  This time after it booted back up the display worked.  I was about 500 feet from the microsoft store in the mall when i fixed it, bummer :smileywink:"

Advisor
felickz

Did VZW exchange for you?
Advisor
felickz

Same issue with 920 on Nokia Forums

As also seen on WPCentral

What is up here Nokia???? Any fixes in sight? Is this a confirmed issue?  Should I i return my phone in the 30 day return policy to Verizon?

Advisor
felickz

More threads, same issue:

Answers.Microsoft

WP Central

Advisor
felickz

[ Edited ]

This almost certainly is a temp/humidity issue.  

Was down at the beach for a week (high 90's) and had this freezing happen nonstop for the entire week.  

Come back home to my AC'd house and it only happens sporadically once again.

If i stick my phone in the AC vent after a freeze it tends to come back to life with less reboots than if i do not cool it down.  

If i have phone in the CR-200 NFC dock in the car while using GPS, in the sun, this is almost a recepie for heat  disaster.... saving grace here is that it seems to never go unresponsive if the screen is on.  Since GPS driving  applications always keep the screen active, it never freezes for me while i am driving.  As soon as i leave the car and turn off the screen is when it goes unresponsive.  Next time i take it out of my pocket it is unresponsive.

Not sure if it is from my insanity but the following methods seem to work better than just randomly resetting the phone and hoping for it to be responsive when it reboots:
  1. Plug into power/qi and hold your finger on the windows button while holding down power button to reboot.  This was much better than just rebooting without power/ and holding button
  2. remove sim, then reboot.  AMLOST always will reboot with screen working.  Then insert SIM and reboot again, this always works if the first reboot without the sim works.

Registered Member
cake1

I think I agree about the temp although I'm not convinced it's not a screen brightness issue.  The first time is happened to me was on a hot day on the screen porch and it was very bright.  It went on for a while and I finally did a hard reset and restored apps and happened again pretty much right away.  I talked to Verizon support (they were actually pretty helpful) and they suggested doing a hard reset without restoring any apps (thinking it might be an app issue).  It ran for almost a week withouth freezing.  Each day a loaded a couple more apps/updates.  It was pretty hot during the week and I had it with me on a couple 30 mile bike rides (with MapMyRide running).  I've been uninstalling things in the order I loaded them but it still keeps freezing.  I guess it really could be a hardware issue that only affects some phones or I imagine we'd see a LOT more people complaing (of course, it could still be an app the others don't have).

Has anyone received a replacement that worked?  The Verizon rep was happy to send me another phone (even though I purchased through Newegg) but I decided I'd try the reset route again first.

Advisor
felickz

When i factory reset mine, the initial boot the screen was frozen (this was after 24 hours of spinning gears, letting battery die, then 20+ resets keep getting the gears until it finally came up to the welcome screen). Put the phone down on a Qi charger, then did a reset and the second time up the screen was responsive. I did this while at the beach, in AC room (~70deg F), but I image with a rather high humidity.

For me i think that 100% ruled out any app issues!

Rumors around GDR2/Amber comming very soon, praying this is fixed or im sending mine out for repair and hoping it is a hardware issue!

Advisor
felickz

Another cool trick..

When i have GPS on in the car, charging the phone on a hot day... it is a garuntee that it will freeze.... but ONLY after you let the display time out or you turn off the screen.

I have noticed that if i turn of the screen accidentally i quickly turn it back on and the swipe to lock doesnt work.  If i quickly cycle the screen power 1 time again then the swipe to unlock kindof lags behind but eventually my touch registers and it unlocks.  I have reproduced this a few times. It seems to prevent further freezing sometimes by doing this, but that might just be coincidental.

Registered Member
cake1

I was outside in the heat and sun 2 days ago and it froze.  I ran inside and within 2 mins it responded.  When I put the phone to my ear to make another call, it was smoking hot!

Why send it out for repair when Verizon will just replace it?

Registered Member
Thales

I have been experiencing a similar problem and stumbled upon this support page.  I believe that I have fixed this issue (at least for my phone).  My phone wouldn't respond to my touch, but I could do a soft reset and get it to work for a few minutes before it would be unresponsive again.  I had orginally set my phone's touch sensitivity to High (because I had a thick screen protector on it and my stylus worked better that way). I have since set my touch sensitvity to Normal and havne't encountered the problems since.

tl;dr: Setting touch sensitivity to "Normal" corrected this for me.

Registered Member
cake1

It was definitely a heat issue for me.  I did a hard reset and left it in the sun and it froze.  Got a replacement from Verizon and no more problem.

Advisor
felickz

Got a warranty replacement from vzw store and no more freezing ever. (orig bought directly from vzw store). Vzw rep said they are required to stock Nokia replacements in their warehouse for warranty support, so did not have to go through Nokia suppoer(7 day turnaround). 2day shipping of replacement and put old phone in new phone box to ship itback to vzw.
Advisor
felickz

I tried messing with this setting, had no effects... Froze On high and normal.
Registered Member
NowIknow

This unexplained screen unresponsiveness with 928 happens even in cool dry place. Nothing to do environmental conditions. We the consumers basically just got screwed. My new phone did it twice. Reboot (power and volume down buttons) or running the battery down recovers it. The display doesn't detect the touch basically as the buttons operate fine. I see even 920 has the same issue. Shame on Nokia to release the product with this issue...and it is a shame I have 2 more years with this junk.Never Nokia again.
Registered Member
mercblue281

the digitizer stopped responding happened on my 928 once in the last week since i got it. I know its happened a couple times to my mother since she got her phone in the summer. Would love a fw update or acknowledgement of a potential issue/way to avoid it.

not giving up on nokia however - still more reliable than any android **bleep**.

maybe we could get a 1020/1520 on verizon? 

Registered Member
TStan

To do a soft reset, hold down the "down" volume button and the off button at the same time.  This got mine to working again. I checked to make sure my phone was set to a "normal" touch on the screen and it was so I couldnt change this to increase my chances of this happening again. Since it is caused by heat and humidity, it was suggested to place the phone in a bag of rice. Oh brother!  I am wondering if the water proof cover you can by for these would help. Please post if this has worked for you.