Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Camera won't stop taking photos

Registered Member
wanderer28

Camera won't stop taking photos

Recently I've had my Lumia 1520 updated (both Lumia Cyan and to Windows 8.1). Now, the shutter won't stop taking photos when the camera button is pressed. There's no problem if I press the camera icon on the screen, so it could be a hardware issue as much as it could be a software one.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Registered Member
Mark_H1566

Re: Camera won't stop taking photos

My Lumia 1020 is doing the same after 8.1/Cyan upgrade, so I guess software not hardware to blame. Hopefully MS aware of the bug and will release a fix?
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

First i've heard of the camera taking photos by itself,have you tried a factory reset or any other methods?

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Registered Member
wanderer28

Nope, can't say I've tried a factory reset yet. I don't want to do it as much as possible because of the effort required to set it up--I don't use the camera that often anyway. :smileywink:
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Well these are the options you have for now to see if it can be fixed.Your choice from here on in..

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Employee
lasluo

Hi. Are you 100% sure that you are not in the burst mode? Cyan brought a new burst mode feature into the camera. Also, if you press the physical camera button and release it halfway (like you'd be zooming) the camera continues taking pictures. Are you sure neither of these is the case?

Registered Member
wanderer28

Hi Iasluo,

Not sure how I can check if my camera is in burst mode or not. While that may be the case, I think it's highly unlikely--there's almost no way I can find to stop the seemingly unending shots. The timing of these shots also seem to paint another picture (about once every two seconds). It takes a picture, saves it, then takes another. The situation is exactly the same as if you had pressed the shutter right after the interface came back up after it saved your previous photo.

I released the camera button fully after I took the picture (though, to digress, I had never known of a feature such as that--thanks for the tip).

Additionally, these could be other, possibly related, potential problems:

1: Half-pressing the camera button does not make it focus as it had done before. I understand that this could be disabled due to intervention from my retailer/network provider.

2: At times, even if I did not do anything remotely related to opening the Nokia Camera App, it would launch itself.

This prompts me to believe that either

1: My camera button is faulty and has become highly sensitive, to the point where a slight gust of wind would cause it to activate;

2: The electrical circuit board relating to the camera button is faulty, causing it to restart itself (while I cannot explain the details, the end result will be the continuous capturing of photos) unnecessarily;

3: The programming in the new Nokia Camera App causes a feedback loop, taking a picture right after another has been taken; or

4: It could be the burst mode. But firstly, I need some information on how to trigger it. I can't seem to find it in settings.

Regards,
wanderer28
Employee
lasluo

id does not sound like the burst mode but still you might want to check it. When you open the camera you should have three circles or icons on the lower part. Left is the video, in the middle theres the burst mode (like three pictures on top of each other) and right is the normal camera icon. Check that you are not having the burst mode on.

see attached

Registered Member
wanderer28

Ah, then I'm not using burst mode. I clearly remember I was using the normal one (and not the one with the three boxes stacked on top of each other). 

Mobile Overlord
farby

Did you try resetting the 'camera' ? (settings-->applications (Left swipe)-->photos+camera-->reset camera)

.. or may be the Camera button (hardware) has jammed...You may try pressing it in quick succession a few times and see whether it makes any difference...or,  Better get it inspected at Nokia Care.