Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Can you use music as a ring tone on lumia 800?

Counsellor
jayrs
Accepted Solution

Can you use music as a ring tone on lumia 800?

[ Edited ]

As the title says, I can't find a way to set music as a ring tone as I have been able to do with all my other nokias in the past

Sage
N8one

Re: Can you use music as a ring tone on lumia 800?

[ Edited ]

This is a copy pasted reply from microsoft.com.

Add or create ringtones

You can use your own ringtones so you can match your jingle to your mood, or match just the right tune to your contacts. Just make sure the audio file is:

• In MP3 or WMA format.
  • Less than 40 seconds.
  • Less than 1 MB.
  • Not protected with digital rights management (DRM).

To make any file that fits these criteria into a ringtone, all you have to do is assign it the genre of ringtone. If you have a PC, you'll use the Zune software. If you don't have the Zune software on your computer, see Install the Zune software. On a Mac, use iTunes to assign the genre, and then sync the file using the Windows Phone Connector for Mac. To learn more, see Sync and get updates with my Mac.

To add a ringtone to your phone

Connect your phone to your computer using a cable, and then sync the file to your phone.

On Start, flick left to the App list, then tap Settings  > Ringtones + sounds.

Tap the Ringtone list, then find the new ringtone you just added.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/start/create-ringtones.aspx

Edit: To change the genre: in Zune, right click on the song and select EDIT. you can assign the genre "ringtone" in there. 

Counsellor
jayrs

ah right, thats great fella, i'll give it a go.

it should fit all of that, i downloaded it off of zune.

edit, just checked, it 1.19 long:smileysad:

Sage
N8one

[ Edited ]

jayrs wrote:

ah right, thats great fella, i'll give it a go.

it should fit all of that, i downloaded it off of zune.

edit, just checked, it 1.19 long:smileysad:

You can edit the length of songs easily. The easiest way is to use Itunes (god i hate saying that!). you can google it to find out how. Just make sure the track is not rights protected or Zune will not allow it.

edit: here ya go as I'm feeling nice:

In Itunes, right click on the song and select get info. Then select options and you can edit the start and stop time. Just make sure they are less than 40 secs  apart. VOILA! new ringtone!

Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@jayrs

You can currently also trial this application EasyRing & Music for free:http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/c55f00a0-1be0-4111-b529-1913f97064b5

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Counsellor
jayrs

nice one guys, thank you.

i have i tunes on the pc anyway as the wife has a iphone and 2 of my kids have ipod touches, once ive finished updating the IOS on the iphone i'll plug the lumia in and get started.

while its finishing off i'll check that link out

cheers again guys.