Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Great news for all current Lumia Windows Phone...

Contributor
ajitn2786

Re: Great news for all current Lumia Windows Phone users!

hi,

i recently visited the nokia care fo the new win 7.8 upgrade for my lumia 710, but they turned me off, saying they cant upgrade it bcoz i bought it from singapore and they dnt have the required version.. now my question is what is the solution for this, and why is it on the first place since Nokia is a global company ???? plz reply thank u 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Kavie24

hi! Shay1,

how cames u are enjoying bluetooth transfar service on ur nokia phone will I experience difficulties, the phone is restricting any phone, and funny enough no detailed settings for bluetooth on nokia lumia,

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bk61

I'm not a major smartphone addict who needs the very latest speed, features, apps, games etc, but I am getting a little tired of waiting for this update.

I've a Lumia 610, the entry level device, but perfect for my needs as I dont play games or run many apps or at least not many apps that the 610 might struggle with.  The handset does everything I want it to do and tbh, it's the nicest phone I've ever owned, BUT, I need to unclutter my start screen by being able to resize tiles and bluetooth file transfer is also a must.

This update addresses those two issues and thats what I'm waiting for, but I'm concerned after reading the problems that other users are experiencing who already have the update that maybe by installing WP7.8 on my Lumia 610 it will reduce a perfectly good and useable phone into a slow and less than useable phone.

Perhaps Microsoft/Nokia could consider releasing update options for those of us with lower spec devices where we could pick and choose features rather than loading a full new operating system that may have a determental effect on the overall performance of our handsets.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
cash710

I recently had an interaction with the publisher of a nice app, 'das image'.

In his words, "I found that the Windows Phone 7.8 OS enables the new tile formats such as a wide tile that were introduced for Windows Phone 8. I am shipping an update this weekend that will create the new tiles with the API’s that are new."

I figure that all the apps for WP7 will have the large tile if the publisher makes it available. Anyone knows more about this?

As of now, the only large tiles I've noticed on my 7.8 are:
People
Phone
Messaging
Emails
Games
Calendar
Pictures
Music & Videos (Shows last played artist's image)
Pinned contacts, groups and artists
Facebook for Windows Phone (shows cover photo and status)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
cash710

[ Edited ]

I got the 7.8 OS from Nokia Care. I had given my phone for speaker repair. They returned it to me with the latest firmware. Following me, my friend inquired at Nokia Care and got the 7.8 version flashed on his 610. His phone is working perfectly without any noticeable lag. Hope this makes you less stressed while waiting for the update. :smileyhappy:

P.S. I found this a bit disappointing:

From Nokia Bluetooth Share's help section:

Supported file types are JPG, BMP, PNG, and MP3. BMP/PNG/GIF files are converted to JPG before saving.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sapansangal

So what new features you got in Windows 7.8 update .. ??
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
cash710

[ Edited ]

Resizable tiles, Nokia Bluetooth Share, Nokia Ringtone Maker, Bing wallpaper and new accent colors. New ringtones and wallpapers were also included and the blue windows 8 welcome screen. That's all.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
blegs38552

Foir what it is worth:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/smartphones/1297084/nokia-lumia-900-windows-phone-7-8-upgrade-on-the-...

Nokia's Italian arm has confirmed that the long-awaited Windows Phone 7.8 upgrade, which introduces Windows Phone 8-like features to the company's last-generation smartphone products, will be launching within the next few days.

Further on down:

The wait, however, looks to be finally over for Nokia Lumia owners still running Windows Phone 7.5. Responding to a customer query on Twitter, Nokia Italia confirmed that the Windows Phone 7.8 upgrade for its older handsets would be launching within the next couple of days - confirming an earlier claim from Nokia's Spanish division that the release would occur sometime in January.

We can only hope that this is true.

Nokia Lumia 521 on T-Mobile, Windows 8 Professional desktop computer
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sapansangal

How to backup data of my Lumia 610 before having update .. ??

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
cash710

If you're talking about getting an early update through Nokia Care, your phone will be wiped out completely and you can backup only your music, videos and photos through Zune. Everything else will be lost.

You should wait for the update to be delivered directly to you through Zune. It is most probably coming by the end of this month. You will be able to retain all your data if you wait.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sapansangal

Is there any procedure to backup sms .. ??

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
cash710

[ Edited ]

Why do you post each of your posts two times?

There is no way to backup your SMS as far as I know. Your only option is to wait for the official update. That way you don't lose anything except the old 7.5 start screen. :smileytongue:

(Is it possible to retrieve them as xls files through Nokia Suite?)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ajitn2786

Hi,

The new 7.8 update which is expected to be sent through zune ,will it be like the previous updates or it'll be according to the model nos. and will it be the same for all lumias irrespective of its date and place of manufacture???

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

cash710 wrote:

There is no way to backup your SMS as far as I know. Your only option is to wait for the official update. That way you don't lose anything except the old 7.5 start screen. :smileytongue:

(Is it possible to retrieve them as xls files through Nokia Suite?)

No, Nokia Suite cannot do anything with WP phones, will not recognise them nor will transfer anything to or from them. You can save SMS by copy/pasting the content into one of the Office programs (Notes,word) and saving that to Skydrive.

Please use plain text.
sanaullah7786

Lovely upgrade thanks Nokia for this update
Please use plain text.
sanaullah7786

Isn't there any method to open front facing camera on Skype with lumia 710
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
cash710

There is no front camera in 710, bro.

..and thank Microsoft for the update.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
nukesheart

How about this update's headphone volume, is that fixed? :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
cash710

[ Edited ]

I never had a problem with it. The stock ear-plugs are still working fine and sound is good if not blazingly loud. I also have Nokia's Bluetooth headphones which are amazingly loud. I even have i-ball's ear-plugs and they give real high quality output.

To answer to your question, the volume hasn't changed. It remains the same. Try changing the headphones you use.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nukesheart

[ Edited ]

My OS version is 7.10.8858.136.
I tried several wired headphones and the volume is too low. On the previous posts here it seems that I was not alone having this bug.

can I know what 7.8 firmware version you are using? There seems to be nothing new on zune. :smileysad:

Moderator's Notes: We have edited your post because you mention a service which offers unauthorised copies of Nokia device software for download. We do not allow this tool to be discussed on this forum.

Please use plain text.