Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: How can I force a Lumia 800 software update?

Advisor
RunSub

How can I force a Lumia 800 software update?

Hi,

I have a Lumia 800, County Variant Model 059M539 on o2 in uk.

There is the 12070 firmware fix for the hardware. i.e Improved battery, better audio. It's been available from Nokia for at least two weeks.

I connect to Windows Phone 7 connector on OSX, but there is no update available. The Nokia FAQ says that updates 'After 5 days, all eligible phones will receive update notifications.'

As o2 have already pushed updated to their versions of the Lumia. How can I force an update my phone?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
garethr

if you are using a pc/laptop on a wireless connection: check for phone updates in zune, as soon as you select check for update, disconnect the wireless connection. This usually carries out a forced update

Please use plain text.
Advisor
RunSub

I've tried the disconnect trick, but while the update is meant to available.I tthink it's held back in the limbo stuck between o2 & Nokia.. (i.e. it's not 'our o2' phone and 'it's not our Network)

How can you update without a sim? The 12070 update is a firmware fix, not an OS update.

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

RunSub wrote:

I've tried the disconnect trick, but while the update is meant to available.I tthink it's held back in the limbo stuck between o2 & Nokia.. (i.e. it's not 'our o2' phone and 'it's not our Network)

How can you update without a sim? The 12070 update is a firmware fix, not an OS update.

whilst it might be a firmware fix. your firmware is your OS, which means by default you are updating (as opposed to upgrading) your O/S. Also as the firmware/OS fix comes thru Zune, its microsoft that needs to put it there. Zune is a microsoft product and has nothing to do with Nokia. Nokia really only make the hardware, provides some support if you can call it that

Please use plain text.
Advisor
RunSub

Does it matter if it's firmware or OS? Imo as it's not a feature set change & effects only the lumia it's firmware, even if it's all tied together with WP7.

The point is how can I get the update that's meant to be available?

It like saying you own a Ferrari, but can't actually have the keys or take it out the garage, stick with the corsa.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dublinuser

I also have this problem. I have a Vodafone Ireland Lumia 800, the update has been released for this product code. The phone itself updated me through toast notifications that there was an update, and phone update said yes in the phone settings area.

I attempted to update on Zune, I had an emobile (other network as I've unlocked my device) sim in the phone at the time. After I connected to Zune, Zune said there was no update and then the phone reflected this also, saying no update available in the settings area.

I tried again with Zune putting in the Vodafone sim but to no avail.

This is very unsatisfactory and Nokia say to bring the phone to an authorised care point...I guess I will try to do this one of these days, but I have to take time off work....
I wonder whether Vodafone should be helping me out here since they made a lot of money from me out of this phone but I assume they are useless...

It really is disappointing that this is happening, with my N8 I would never have issues downloading OS updates with Nokia suite.
Please use plain text.