Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

How do you add alert tones?

Advisor
VickyLeigh

Re: How do you add alert tones?

Sorry If I'm being dense, but this is sort of related to this topic. How do you actually 'play' the ringtone when you're trying to select them? I can't find anything in the manual, and I haven't had a windows phone before so I'm finding the transition from iphone a bit strange at times!
Professor
caitlin1759

if you have managed to add ringtones using Zune just open up the contact whom you want to add a tone and "edit" it under the " other" tab.  if like me you managed to add ringtones but didn' t call them " tones" or whatever they're suposed to be called nothing will show up in the list of available tones. i used a free app called Mobile17 from the marketplace which worked perfectly and put everything in the right place, although as this thread says it only works for ringtones not text alerts.

barneyr

as far as i know you cant set your own message tones on the lumia 800...............i do know however that u can download an app using the phone app store for free that allows you to download as many ringtones as you like and it automatically installs the tones to the right place . remember to tick the we box (use as ringtone ) to save the tone. dont know if this info is of use to you but its there if you use it.

barneyr

try downloading the free app in app store which is on ur phone its free ringtones and it installs the tone u choose.remember to click the we box the appears 2 use as tone.when u download the tone swipe from left to right on the phone screen and u will find the tone click on it and then the box.
Registered Member
gseth

Here is a good tutorial I found on how to add ringtones:

How to set custom ringtones in Windows Phone 7

However cannot change email or sms alerts. Only ringtones and alarms

Counsellor
hubrad

Hi folks, I found a handy-ish app on Marketplace, it's called freemusic manager. 

It's free! Not completely custom, but it lets you search for ringtones online, and has a surprising range of tunes.

Registered Member
borgcontact

I see that one cannot add any alerts. I find this unreal as none of the alert tones are usable tom me at least. i trust that Nokia will recognise this as a priority after all it is a phone and one needs to be made aware of sms/emails arriving. Most basic requirement. Will ditch  if not sorted quickly.

I want to use plain "Beep" in stead of those melodies!
Advisor
angurbeats

Hi.i dont know if any one has figurd this out. You can add your own ring tone. The file cannot be longer then 40sec. All you have to do is add the file to zune and click and change the file categary name to ringtone.the way to do it is.when you right click sub menu pops up,manage,change,rename to ringtone. Then drag it to the phone icon in zune.hope thiz helps
Professor
caitlin1759

I think people did get how to add ringtones. The problem is text/sms tones which can't be changed except within the limited stock tones.
Registered Member
CryBe4UDie

Exactly, why does the windows phone that has to be the worst and most complicated and annoying phone. After its one the most popular phones....... what gapped to drag and drop in to sync.... Why Zune that complicated programme? And why Bluetooth? Come on If U can't send from this device to another then what can U do eh...... Please put an upgrade to cover these things tell me when finished,
Thanks..
Registered Member
Kursed

Having just bought a Nokia Lumia 820 finally from an EE store that managed to get one in stock, finding what should be standard options are missing is pretty disappointing. At present, there is no option at all to allow changing of message alerts, yet bizarrely there is for everything else. My other half has the Lumia 800 synced with Zune and I was told to do the same which it turns out is nonsense. Windows 8 phones such as the 820 aren't compatible with Zune so you're meant to use the Windows Phone App which is even worse. Lumia only works for phones up to Win 7.8. I've resorted to just using explorer to drag and drop files and pictures where I want them. Thankfully though the 820 hasn't the same silly ringtone restrictions as the 800 does. Been able to add any tunes from my PC as ringtones. From a post higher up, you should have a little triangle to the left of any tune or tone, click that to play it and click the tune name to select it. Nokia really seem to have skipped basic phone personalisation in favour of getting Microsoft content to run. Even my old back of the drawer green screen Nokias will allow me to use my own alert tones. Hopefully they'll push out a software update but it would be nice if Nokia would comment on threads such as this so we at least know they're doing something about it.

Registered Member
Kursed

[ Edited ]

I managed to get a song ringtone added to my other halfs Lumia 800 by adding it to itunes, rclick and select 'get info', then in the song length tab reducing the time right down until the file size was small enough along with the song length (worked out at around 25 seconds). Saved into a folder I added to Zune under the music settings and it transferred over. Painful but worked.

Mountaingalahad

Must admit to being amazed ... have had Nokia phones exclusively for over 10 years and have been creating custom message tones for nearly as long. So along comes Windows phone and I think ... excellent, Symbian OS has been showing its age lately so a new OS has to be a step forward. Wrong apparently , oh the Windows 8 app has lots of flashy graphics and gizmos but hey wait you can't personalise your message tone ! ... Ringtone yeah ... done that but no option for message tone ???? ... wake up guys ! ... tired of mistaking messages for Mr Whippy driving by, so how about it ? ... or is as as simple as "hello Mr Samsung what can you offer me?" ...

bhpf

Does you know if your method will work on Nokia Lumia 900?

o_plz

I agree as well, what good is having sites that say," will work with Nokia 900" if the phone itself will not work with text/sms tone!!! I thought it was just me having a moment...apparently many others as well...
SO GUYS...WAK-EE UP...SMELL THE COFFEE....& MAKE US ALL HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY..UPDATE PLZ...ASAP...YESTERDAY EVEN....
OMG!!!! come on guys,seriously,...put those big thinking caps on..:smileyhappy:
bhpf

It is very hard to believe that we still don't have an option to choose our own message alerts. Can not hear or easily differentiate the few alerts supplied.

PLEASE UPDATE NOW!
Registered Member
wawroo

Please give us custom sms tones! Give us at once!

nabeel161

If i am using net from lumia 800 then how i can download ringtone from any site?
Contributor
dgreening

When someone figures out how to change the tones I will come back to the Lumia 920.  I miss too many text messages and calendar reminders.  Not Calls because I was able to change that.  The other thing I need is the "do not disturb" like setting for muting the notifications but not the phone ringing.  When on call I don't need to hear all the emails that arrive but I do need to hear the phone.